"Suspicious Individual" rings my doorbell

That stinks man, good thing you're well prepared.

I don't answer the door without my G22 or M&P40 at the ready, despite living on the Cape where everyone says "It's a good place and you don't have to worry about crap like that", I know better. There were at least 3 or 4 violent crimes over the summer at the mall, so it's a load of hooey.

+1 on getting a dog.

Next tinme answer the door wearing nothing but combat boots, a Pancho Villa bandoleer, and a shotgun.

Guarantee you will be left alone.

I'd suggest a WW1 German army helmet also, just to complete the ensemble.

german-helmet.jpg

Thats the time when you flip out and scream "What the F*&^ do you want?!" "This better be good Mother F*&^er!"

Trust me when I say that kid will never come to your door again.

Think about it... would you rather have some punk home intruder kid think that he can come back with a mask on and get in your home, or stay well away from the crazy guy that flipped out on him and might possibly kill him should he return?

+1 - the kid may have been just "feeling" things out. You know he was up to no good, why not scare the hell out of him? All the tough guy lines work real great when you have pistol in your hand.....

Clint Eastwood says it best in his new flick......

"get off my lawn" [mg][mg][mg]

You should have told him in no uncertain terms to take a hike.

When I lived in L.A., a cop once commented that he never answers his door, regardless of the time of day unless he's armed, and he absolutely never opens it for anybody he doesn't know. Anybody else can talk to him through the door. My response was along the lines of "are you suggesting there might be some other way to behave?"

Ken

Of course the old fashioned shotgun by the front and back doors would solve a lot of these problems. But in this state they want us to lock up our guns while criminals never do.[angry]

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. It's strange. I was mildly amped when the bell rang after dark, but my wife's comment put me at ease. That was my mistake.

I've been more paranoid than usual since the drug dealer moved in. This has exposed some weakness in our security systems. I could have easily scoped out the guy from a porch window. I could have at least unsnapped the thumb break on the holster. Major wake up call, if nothing else.

I've upgraded from the snubster for the time being. Carrying something with a bit more capacity and a decent bite. Nuff said.

We're also preparing for the potential that we are, as someone said, Food. I called the cops again, mentioned that I was concerned that this was mere canvassing, and notified ADT as well. The Warden will arm the system when I go out, and I will be heavy when I am here. We've arranged a "safe word" and we've got a plan for bugging out if need be. We've discussed what to do if someone breaks in, where to go, what to do, how to signal to each other. I'm no batshit militia man, but these are things we all should discuss with our SO's.

If the kid was canvassing, he should have noticed a few things: 1) the bright blue ADT sign on my front door; 2) the "bong bong" of the alarm system when I opened the door; 3) a 6'2" 240 pound hairy dude answered the door and was not amused. A part of me is telling myself that this kid would find easier pickings elsewhere. Man I hope I can sleep tonight.

Last edited:
Hell of a way to live, Trout. I feel for you. After 22 years, I had to get out. Good luck, my friend.

22 years? Wow, I didn't last 6 months, lived in Worcester back in the summer of 1982 and had my car broken into twice. Been out in the boomies ever since. This would be a good excuse to move.

Might be a good time to think about getting a dog. That's pretty shady though. That would really put me on edge. I've been pissed when strangers have knocked on my door because if I wasn't home it would really scare my wife.

Remember a few years ago when those kids killed those Professors up in NH. Before they tricked the couple into letting them in (and then butchering them) they tried another house first. The homeowner answered with a pistol in clear view. This from wikipedia:

On July 17th, 2000, Tulloch and Parker, went to a remote house in Vershire, Vermont armed with hunting knives, intending to murder the inhabitants and steal their belongings. Near the house, they dug makeshift graves for their intended victims. Then late at night, Tulloch knocked on the door while Parker waiting off to the side in the bushes intending to ambush the homeowner when he opened it.

Inside, 47-year old Andrew Patti, home with his 11-year old son, was alerted the teens' presence by the sounds of his dog barking. Suspicious of the knock on his door at such a late hour, he answered the knock by going to the door and pulling back the window blinds without opening it. Behind his back, he held a Glock pistol in his hand.

Claiming to be stranded motorist, Tulloch asked to enter the house, but Patti refused. After several more requests for entry, Patti became concerned enough to hold up his Glock where Tulloch could see it. Then he closed the blinds on the door and went back to call the police. When he got to the phone, he discovered the line was dead. But when he returned to the door, Tulloch and Parker had left the house. They would not return.

Tulloch and Parker would not attempt to strike again for another six months. During that time, they upgraded their weaponry, purchasing high-quality SOG SEAL 2000 combat knives over the Interne

Double homicide over $340. It's worse than sick, it's so pointless it's just disgusting.

Watch yourself, stay ready, and pay attention. This world isn't getting any safer.

22 years? Wow, I didn't last 6 months, lived in Worcester back in the summer of 1982 and had my car broken into twice. Been out in the boomies ever since. This would be a good excuse to move.

1978-2000. Got mugged (requiring hospitalization), plus auto theft, burglary and various acts of malicious mischief. Bastards took my Weber grill, too! [angry] I got an LTC, and obeyed every law to the letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
How paranoid of you for thinking that nice young man might have been up to no good.

He was probably just out looking for some change for a large cheese pizza...

Barnes turned to lock the front glass door. Defendant approached her and asked if she had any spare change.

Bernie Garcia said a young man approached her at a gas station as she was buying fuel for her van and asked for money.

"And I first saw this guy," Tanyeri said. "He asked for change and said this whole story about his girlfriend and his baby leaving him."

The men asked the victim in Spanish for money to buy beer, Orrey said.

He told responding officers that he had gotten off of a bus, and was walking when two young men – who had come from the direction of a grocery store across the street -- approached him. They asked the victim if he had any change.

One of the males asked the victim if he had any money, to which he responded that he did not.

In an April robbery, a tourist was approached by Garrett near Las Vegas Boulevard and Sahara Avenue. Brown said Garrett asked the victim to help a man down on his luck, and the tourist reached into his pocket for his wallet.

The suspect asked the victim for a dollar and later robbed the victim of all of his money.

The victim was approached by three males with the same description as the previous incident. One of the males asked the victim if he had any spare change.

The suspect asked the victim for a dollar and when the victim refused, the suspect punched him in the nose.

The victim was leaving the liquor store at 3rd and Palou when 2 African American males approached him. They first asked the victim for money, then punched him in the face when he didn’t comply.

According to officers, the 12-year-old asked the victim for change and when the man went to pull out his wallet the kid punched him in the face.

A robbery was reported yesterday at 10:40 p.m. at Lankershim and Sherman Way. Two suspects approached the victim in a parking lot. One suspect asked the victim for change.

An attempted robbery and assault was reported Sunday after midnight at Cohasset Street and Orion Avenue in North Hills. Police said the victim was walking when two suspects approached him. One asked the victim for money, and the victim told him he did not have any.

The suspect asked the victim for money and she said she had none. He then displayed a gun and demanded her purse.

Rule #1: Contrary to how they might have voted in november, they're not looking for "change".

getting a dog.

It's on the list... we've got a 2 month old kid at home... I think my wife would lose her shizzle if she had another baby to look after!

Wow NLB.... just WOW. I mean, I feel like such a rube.

Last edited:
How paranoid of you for thinking that nice young man might have been up to no good.

Rule #1: Contrary to how they might have voted in november, they're not looking for "change".

Excellent compilation. I always knew I was heading down a dark road when some snapperhead in a bar, whom I'd never met before, would ask me for a light. No good ever came from it. I obeyed the law there too. Worcester. Just screw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought Chelsea was bad, but after hearing all these stories....... Well, I guess I wasn't alone. I recently moved out, but brother still lives there with his wife. He's had his car broken into twice now. While I was there about 12 years ago, I did have one break-in while I was away on business. Thieving bastard made off with over 30K in baseball and hockey memorabilia and about 1000 rds of .45 and 9mm ammo. Thankfully, I had my guns placed in storage while I was out.

I'm in a much better neighborhood now. We had to move 'cause we needed a bigger house for the kids. The neighbors all around me are really nice folk who tend to look out for each other. We have a cop who lives a few houses down as well. Certainly not what I was used. That said, I always look out the window before I open the door and my kids are constantly schooled about this AND I am the only one that opens the door at night when we're not expecting anyone. Usually my SW M60 (or 1911) is on hand. If my wife wasn't so damned against having free running pets, we'd have a guard dog too (friggin' women).

Anyway, for you brave souls with the fortitude to stay in these areas, great credit goes out to you for sticking it out. I'm sure there's a lot of folks who still live that's really glad not everyone in the neighborhood is a criminal.

Grin, a 45 speaks for me, does any negotiating, and has the final word.[wink]

Yeah, but does it do all of that while your wife and or kids are home without you? My wife has access to my guns, and knows how to make them fire, but I doubt she would successfully be able obtain and use them in a defensive panic situation. My 2 boys averaging 75 lbs each, are always condition one and are readily availibe for my wife.

I always thought Chelsea was bad, still live that's really glad not everyone in the neighborhood is a criminal.

I worked a year at the Coastal Oil Terminal on Marginal Street. And I carried there, to. Screw it!

I had a huge air conditioner stolen from the back of my truck, within the gated perimeter of the terminal. I busted a nut loading it in the first place. The kicker is, it was junk, and I was planning to dump it as scrap.

Yeah, it was bad. Chelsea was very bad. Actually made me feel good about living in Worcester. [wink]

Yeah, but does it do all of that while your wife and or kids are home without you? My wife has access to my guns, and knows how to make them fire, but I doubt she would successfully be able obtain and use them in a defensive panic situation. My 2 boys averaging 75 lbs each, are always condition one and are readily availibe for my wife.

The best part about the "Dog Alarm" is that it's always on, never gets tired or bored and it's so damn sensitive it just helps you relax when you're in your home because you know that no one else is inside your house.

Sure, not every dog is an attack dog. My girl, though she's 100 pound plus, is not overtly aggressive, but she can hear/smell danger miles away. Therefore, she's the alarm, I'm the response. We make a good team. I don't even know how many similar situations I've not had to deal with because the dog went apeshit and scared the perp away before I even got to the door.

Always a good idea to have multiple lines of defense. After all, a gun and a dog are not interchangeable. The gun simply allows you to shoot the things your dog warns you about.

Last edited:
For a short time I was giving a guy from work a ride home in Worcester. He lived near UMass Memorial. He usually had to go to Tedeski's (the convenience store across the street from UMMem). At least a half dozen times my truck was approached. A few times for money and once for a smoke. Each time I only rolled the window down a sliver and each time I said no. Doors wew ALWAYS locked and I either had my .38 derringer or my .22 beretta.

One lady once asked me, "Can I have a money to buy a shirt new?"

My wife has ready access to a very special Model 19, and has been trained in its use. Yes, I trust her with it, have seen her capabilities, have spent many hours with her on safety...function....and, head shots.

I have no qualms whatsoever that she can hit the torso on the fly, and with some leeway, can make a good headshot. This does not mean a "snap" shot. Grin, thinking of my own life here. [wink]

My wife has ready access to a very special Model 19, and has been trained in its use. Yes, I trust her with it, have seen her capabilities, have spent many hours with her on safety...function....and, head shots.

I have no qualms whatsoever that she can hit the torso on the fly, and with some leeway, can make a good headshot. This does not mean a "snap" shot. Grin, thinking of my own life here. [wink]

Not to stir the pot or put her down but, Does she pack or grab it every time she opens the door? It's amazing how many people will open the door to "normal looking" folk.

Not to stir the pot or put her down but, Does she pack or grab it every time she opens the door? It's amazing how many people will open the door to "normal looking" folk.

Grin, no problem. My wife and I are both retired. She WILL NOT answer the door unless she sees a Fedex or UPS truck outside, and even then will wait for a second or third ring...in case a Sig. is needed. My wife is security conscious and I am grateful for her awareness.[grin]

Grin, no problem. My wife and I are both retired. She WILL NOT answer the door unless she sees a Fedex or UPS truck outside, and even then will wait for a second or third ring...in case a Sig. is needed. My wife is security conscious and I am grateful for her awareness.[grin]

That's awesome. Can I rent her next time one of my boys has to go to the vet?[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom