• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How Does An Individual Ship Ammuition?

I went to both the UPS Hub and the FEDEX Hub and both of them said they would not ship a package containing 2 boxes of ammo.

Are we really living in a country where private individuals are completely barred from the shipment of small arms ammunition?

Thank you for the replies.

The UPS link is great--I may just have to push harder and involve his supervisor.

The fellow at UPS said he was not allowed to ship it based on his recent "training" which informed him that as a matter of UPS policy he should not accept guns, gun parts, or ammunition.

For anyone counseling "just lie"--you might want to look into the penalties for failing to declare hazmat in shipping. They're f*cken huge.

Strangest of all was FEDEX--the Gibroni at the counter refused to provide any HAZMAT labels at all, saying such posession and use of such stickers were restricted to licensed manufacturers.

When did this shit creep into place?

It was surreal.

Strangest of all was FEDEX--the Gibroni at the counter refused to provide any HAZMAT labels at all, saying such posession and use of such stickers were restricted to licensed manufacturers.

I've received ammo shipments via UPS from private individuals where the HAZMAT label was drawn onto the side of the box with a sharpie.

I have shipped ammo to my son in another state a couple times via UPS. They require you to affix an ORMD label- it's a square with two black triangles. Look it up. I downloaded and printed it and taped it to the box. They also require you to drop it off at a UPS hub rather than a UPS store. No issues and there was no limit to how much ammo I could ship.

I have shipped ammo to my son in another state a couple times via UPS. They require you to affix an ORMD label- it's a square with two black triangles. Look it up. I downloaded and printed it and taped it to the box. They also require you to drop it off at a UPS hub rather than a UPS store. No issues and there was no limit to how much ammo I could ship.

I have shipped ammunition before too, as recently as a couple years ago--and the folks at FEDEX and UPS were perfectly happy slapping an ORM-D sticker THEY PROVIDED on the box and calling it good.

This seems new, and it seems like a stealth guncontrol tactic which is happenning via regualtion in a sub=-rosa fashion.

Read this page- it's all there. Print it out and bring it with you when you go back. Those two employees you encountered were incompetent idiots. Unfortunately that's all too common these days.

Read this page- it's all there. Print it out and bring it with you when you go back. Those two employees you encountered were incompetent idiots. Unfortunately that's all too common these days.

Yes--it is quite good. This will be my act of 2A advocacy for the week. Hopefully we can get UPS back in line.

It used to be ORMD but that was phased out a couple of years ago and is now called limited quantities and that’s the black and white label. There are lots of things non ammo related that need that same label. So just print your own and take it and drop it off. Print their rules too and tell them to ship your stuff

It used to be ORMD but that was phased out a couple of years ago and is now called limited quantities and that’s the black and white label. There are lots of things non ammo related that need that same label. So just print your own and take it and drop it off. Print their rules too and tell them to ship your stuff

Well assuming UPS hasn't instituted some "woke" company policy, it would be good to create a clear guideline that the people working the counter understand so people can engage in their Constitutionally protected activities.

A bit of packing advice: make sure you fill any spaces in the box with packing material that won't compress. I would also also use heavy duty strapping tape rather than regular packaging tape. Because of their weight, lose ammo boxes can wreak havoc on the inside of a box. I sorted packages for UPS one summer after college and I saw a lot of destroyed boxes dues to poor packaging. It was often heavy machine parts.

Avoid using UPS hubs or stores; opt for a UPS customer service center for better assistance. The UPS stores/hubs, being franchises, may have inconsistent policies.

Understood. I went to the physical UPS Hub--i.e. the UPS warehouse where all the trucks leave from, and spoke with the individual at their customer service shipping counter.

I had shipped a rifle out of that same hub not three years ago--with the same customer service rep, as a matter of fact.

I have shipped ammunition from there too. The FEDEX Hub as well.

This was all pretty new.

Good luck with them - always that possibility that it was deliberate incompetence.

Depending on how badly they want to argue with you, you might also find a copy of their shipping tariff useful. It's their published conditions of service that calls out that previously linked web page as official shipping policy. Ammunition is on page 7, 3.7.2 - calls out the web page in the last paragraph of that section. Nothing in there that conflicts with the web page version, but I've had that argument with a UPS drone once that tried to convince me that the web pages were just informational guides, and not legally binding. He discovered that QA guys have this terrible habit of reading all the documentation - which he hadn't.

Hopefully yours will go easier.

UPS/FedEx hubs.
iu

OP.
1702527971350.png

[laugh]

Well assuming UPS hasn't instituted some "woke" company policy, it would be good to create a clear guideline that the people working the counter understand so people can engage in their Constitutionally protected activities.
As a common carrier, their published tariff is their policy. "Recent training" can't override it.

Dude, package it and ask your local FFL if they can ship it for you.

How much ammo and why are you shipping it?

The only issue you’re ever gonna run into just keeping your mouth shut or writing down machine parts they may not wanna pay if you ensure the box.

When you use the word “hub“ that doesn’t make me think of the convenience store shipping companies. I can’t even get them to return my Amazon packages.

I will admit, I haven’t done it in a long time, but I have mailed guns to myself before just so I don’t have to fly with them. usually when I mail guns, they’re going to a manufacture or it’s a secret Santa. When possible I do everything, face-to-face.

I also ship alot of car parts op. Alternators are heavy for such a small box
I declared my package as one containing ammuntion intentionally.

There seems to be a huge contingent on this site who seem to feel that whenever they run into a law which prevents them from exercising a perfectly reasonable course of action (like shipping a couple of boxes of ammo UPS Ground--I'd say that is a perfectly reasonable activity) that breaking the law as it is written is a viable option, because they don't think they're actually going to get caught, and pretend that therefore this is viable advice. It isn't. Perhaps you haven't noticed but there are HUGE penalties in place for shipping undeclared HAZMAT. And yes--preventing private individuals from shipping ammunition is absolutely a political objective of the gun-control left--but that doesn't mean that you can decide to just whimsically ignore the power of their regulations. They have the power to f*ck you--and hard. And that is something that they would LOVE to do--so the battle must be fought over making compliance a REASONABLE exercise.

Simply ignoring the regulations they are putting into place against you is a win for THEM.

I declared my package as one containing ammuntion intentionally.

There seems to be a huge contingent on this site who seem to feel that whenever they run into a law which prevents them from exercising a perfectly reasonable course of action (like shipping a couple of boxes of ammo UPS Ground--I'd say that is a perfectly reasonable activity) that breaking the law as it is written is a viable option, because they don't think they're actually going to get caught, and pretend that therefore this is viable advice. It isn't. Perhaps you haven't noticed but there are HUGE penalties in place for shipping undeclared HAZMAT. And yes--preventing private individuals from shipping ammunition is absolutely a political objective of the gun-control left--but that doesn't mean that you can decide to just whimsically ignore the power of their regulations. They have the power to f*ck you--and hard. And that is something that they would LOVE to do--so the battle must be fought over making compliance a REASONABLE exercise.

Simply ignoring the regulations they are putting into place against you is a win for THEM.
Huge contingent? This isn't exactly a mega thread lol. There are 30 posts and 9 of them are yours.
You do what you want but there isn't any need to lecture anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom