• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How Does An Individual Ship Ammuition?

The only issue you’re ever gonna run into just keeping your mouth shut or writing down machine parts they may not wanna pay if you ensure the box.

When you use the word “hub“ that doesn’t make me think of the convenience store shipping companies. I can’t even get them to return my Amazon packages.

I will admit, I haven’t done it in a long time, but I have mailed guns to myself before just so I don’t have to fly with them. usually when I mail guns, they’re going to a manufacture or it’s a secret Santa. When possible I do everything, face-to-face.

I shipped a tool to a buddy that was traveling in Mexico.

I wrote "machine parts". I used USPS. The woman looks at it and says "what do you mean machine parts, what is in here" ... I told her "parts, for machines. Machine parts" ... she insists "like what?" ... "like, small parts, some plastic, some screws, some nuts, a small metal plate ... parts". She gave me that "you are full of sh*t look" so I asked her "do you want to open it and take a look?" ... she just threw it in the box with the rest of the packages.

She did mention at the end that she was asking for insurance purposes.

Last edited:
I declared my package as one containing ammuntion intentionally.

There seems to be a huge contingent on this site who seem to feel that whenever they run into a law which prevents them from exercising a perfectly reasonable course of action (like shipping a couple of boxes of ammo UPS Ground--I'd say that is a perfectly reasonable activity) that breaking the law as it is written is a viable option, because they don't think they're actually going to get caught, and pretend that therefore this is viable advice. It isn't. Perhaps you haven't noticed but there are HUGE penalties in place for shipping undeclared HAZMAT. And yes--preventing private individuals from shipping ammunition is absolutely a political objective of the gun-control left--but that doesn't mean that you can decide to just whimsically ignore the power of their regulations. They have the power to f*ck you--and hard. And that is something that they would LOVE to do--so the battle must be fought over making compliance a REASONABLE exercise.

Simply ignoring the regulations they are putting into place against you is a win for THEM.
You know that you've been given a solution, right?

You can print your own labels at home.

If you want commercial ORM-D labels, they're here:

Then drop your labeled package at the correct location.

No lying. No summoning managers. No arguing with drones about their "training."

Just click and ship.

I shipped a GPS to a buddy that was traveling in Mexico.

I wrote "machine parts". I used USPS. The woman looks at it and says "what do you mean machine parts, what is in here" ... I told her "parts, for machines. Machine parts" ... she insists "like what?" ... "like, small parts, some plastic, some screws, some nuts, a small metal plate ... parts". She gave me that "you are full of sh*t look" so I asked her "do you want to open it and take a look?" ... she just threw it in the box with the rest of the packages.

She did mention at the end that she was asking for insurance purposes.
Some things have restrictions. Like I definitely couldn’t sell my night vision to anybody in the Ukraine or is there all right now if you sent it to Russia, you’d be f***ed you have to read all the paperwork they make you sign over all this nonsense.

You can’t even mail batteries to a family member who is in Afghanistan, fighting the towel head without getting in trouble

Edit! That was not a thing on my Christmas list with batteries for my lasers

Just click and ship.

Yes, I have been suggested a solution.

I was responding to the notion of just ignoring the laws, and that giving Federal bureaucrats legal title to my freedom and my financial well-being was a viable option. That doesn't seem wise to me.

And for the record, I logged into Pirate Ship on day 1, actually--and they don't allow you to ship HAZMAT.

It says so when it is inquiring about special shipping instructions.

What needs to happen now is for the fellow at the UPS counter to understand that what he thinks he knows is wrong.

Once that happens, individuals get to ship ammunition from there again.

Thank you for the replies.

The UPS link is great--I may just have to push harder and involve his supervisor.

The fellow at UPS said he was not allowed to ship it based on his recent "training" which informed him that as a matter of UPS policy he should not accept guns, gun parts, or ammunition.

For anyone counseling "just lie"--you might want to look into the penalties for failing to declare hazmat in shipping. They're f*cken huge.

Strangest of all was FEDEX--the Gibroni at the counter refused to provide any HAZMAT labels at all, saying such posession and use of such stickers were restricted to licensed manufacturers.

When did this shit creep into place?

It was surreal.
"Hazmat" [rofl]

There seems to be a huge contingent on this site who seem to feel that whenever they run into a law which prevents them from exercising a perfectly reasonable course of action (like shipping a couple of boxes of ammo UPS Ground--I'd say that is a perfectly reasonable activity) that breaking the law as it is written is a viable option, because they don't think they're actually going to get caught, and pretend that therefore this is viable advice. It isn't. Perhaps you haven't noticed but there are HUGE penalties in place for shipping undeclared HAZMAT. And yes--preventing private individuals from shipping ammunition is absolutely a political objective of the gun-control left--but that doesn't mean that you can decide to just whimsically ignore the power of their regulations. They have the power to f*ck you--and hard. And that is something that they would LOVE to do--so the battle must be fought over making compliance a REASONABLE exercise.

Simply ignoring the regulations they are putting into place against you is a win for THEM.
And what happens when your undeclared HAZMAT package gets busted open by the morons at some UPS processing plant? Slim chance but not one that I'd recommend anyone rolling the dice on.

Just click and ship.
Amazing how cheap pirate ship is.

I was looking at $220 for 2nd day air to ship 50lbs of meat. Pirate ship is around $120.
Even next day is cheaper.

Also, I love how much easier it is to calculate, you go to UPS or USPS and it is a cluster f*ck to use their calculators. Pirate ship makes it very simple.

I have shipped ammo to my son in another state a couple times via UPS. They require you to affix an ORMD label- it's a square with two black triangles. Look it up. I downloaded and printed it and taped it to the box. They also require you to drop it off at a UPS hub rather than a UPS store. No issues and there was no limit to how much ammo I could ship.
This exactly. I shipped 500 rounds to a friend in CT last month via UPS.

No longer ORMD labels, triangles instead- and need to go to hub, can’t use UPS store.

Amazing how cheap pirate ship is.

I was looking at $220 for 2nd day air to ship 50lbs of meat. Pirate ship is around $120.
Even next day is cheaper.

Also, I love how much easier it is to calculate, you go to UPS or USPS and it is a cluster f*ck to use their calculators. Pirate ship makes it very simple.
Agreed. Their rates are fantastic.

I went to both the UPS Hub and the FEDEX Hub and both of them said they would not ship a package containing 2 boxes of ammo.

Are we really living in a country where private individuals are completely barred from the shipment of small arms ammunition?

MACHINE PARTS, I always ship machine parts........

I get 1000 round packages from UPS all the time.
Wait, no, I mean I hear of places that ship 1000 round packages via UPS all the time, to like other people and stuff.

Huge contingent? This isn't exactly a mega thread lol. There are 30 posts and 9 of them are yours.
You do what you want but there isn't any need to lecture anyone else.

Actually I'd say a discussion of the difference between enjoying actual freedom and liberty vs. "breaking the law and not getting caught" is absolutely worth having.

I'm not interested in passive aggressive solutions like just lying and then yielding to the government the lawful option of taking away my freedom or punishing me financially.

I want to be able to act in a reasonable manner without the State pointing a gun at me.

YMMV.

Yes, I have been suggested a solution.

I was responding to the notion of just ignoring the laws, and that giving Federal bureaucrats legal title to my freedom and my financial well-being was a viable option. That doesn't seem wise to me.

And for the record, I logged into Pirate Ship on day 1, actually--and they don't allow you to ship HAZMAT.

It says so when it is inquiring about special shipping instructions.

What needs to happen now is for the fellow at the UPS counter to understand that what he thinks he knows is wrong.

Once that happens, individuals get to ship ammunition from there again.
Or you can do it direct through the UPS or FedEx sites, print, then drop it off.

Read this page- it's all there. Print it out and bring it with you when you go back. Those two employees you encountered were incompetent idiots. Unfortunately that's all too common these days.
Shipping a pistol to Actions By T - who btw gave a discount if you included cask payment in the package.

Get to the Peabody FedEx office and they say they can’t ship it. Called him up, and put him on speakerphone. Teddy does not hold anything back.

”They’re idiots. Tell them you want their Supervisor.” Who happily took my money and the package.

If you think shipping guns and ammo is bad - try traveling with sporting goods! A hockey bag and stick is only charged as one checked item. Ditto skis and a boot bag. If you don’t print out the airline policy and brin* it with you, expect to pay extra, or negotiate your way up the food chain until you someone who knows the policy….

I don't know the final outcome, but I know of someone assessed five digit fine for shipping ammo via US Snail. The box broke open in shipment and contents discovered.

UPS and FedEx require ground, not air, shipping for ammo.

What other stuff gets the triangles sticker? I think lithium batteries get a battery sticker. Wondering if there is something else besides ammo that can get the triangles sticker and ship through a driver or UPS store. There are no hubs near me.

What other stuff gets the triangles sticker? I think lithium batteries get a battery sticker. Wondering if there is something else besides ammo that can get the triangles sticker and ship through a driver or UPS store. There are no hubs near me.
Perfumes get it and some other stuff. I see it on some CVS boxes my wife gets.

FYI ... you can buy the sticker from Amazon.

Screenshot_20231215_062817_Amazon Shopping.jpg

From wiki...
Examples of items classed ORM-D include:

Aerosol cans
Charcoal
Nail polish remover
Lighters
Nitromethane fuel[citation needed]
Perfumes
Small arms ammunition[2] (Shipped under a variant label, that listed 'Cartridges, small arms')[3]
Soldering flux
Some photographic chemicals

Seems like all of our threads turned to shit these days. Specially, the ones I’m involved in.

If Shipping ammo is really that scary to anyone. Why don’t they request a signature when they deliver or at least not leave it on “someones” front steps.

Anyway, you’d think they’d be more worried about intercepting the massive amounts of hard drugs going through the mail..

Seems like all of our threads turned to shit these days. Specially, the ones I’m involved in.

If Shipping ammo is really that scary to anyone. Why don’t they request a signature when they deliver or at least not leave it on “someones” front steps.

Anyway, you’d think they’d be more worried about intercepting the massive amounts of hard drugs going through the mail..

It's a "hazmat", which means "hazardous material". Needs to be packed and shipped with some modicum of care.

It's a "hazmat", which means "hazardous material". Needs to be packed and shipped with some modicum of care.
Yes it does. Still doesn’t explain them (the carrier) dumping the stuff on your front steps without a signature or knocking…

You wake up and you’re like I wonder if my gunpowder is here yet you open the door and Yep it’s out in the rain

Thx. So couldn’t one just say it’s perfume for my mistress and ship it at the UPS store? I suppose they might want open it and check though.

Thx. So couldn’t one just say it’s perfume for my mistress and ship it at the UPS store? I suppose they might want open it and check though.
like the "machine parts" discussion, you absolutely can. And it will never matter until your package gets lost or damaged and you try to deal with the insurance on it.

Or, you can print your label at home. You can even schedule a pickup then give it to your local driver in your underwear.

We live in the future...it's not all bad.

The machine parts thing isn’t really a lie. It’s just they’re gonna want more information if you file a claim, which I would never call about.

It’s just my opinion if you insure it it’s more likely to get there.. I started ensuring shit for way less than the value just so it was insured, knowing I was never gonna file a claim

If you buy yourself a tape gun and you tape it up good enough, there’s no way it’s ever going to break up and that’s just nonsense too

Last edited:
like the "machine parts" discussion, you absolutely can. And it will never matter until your package gets lost or damaged and you try to deal with the insurance on it.

Or, you can print your label at home. You can even schedule a pickup then give it to your local driver in your underwear.

We live in the future...it's not all bad.
Thanks. Good stuff. Not going to think about the underwear scenario but NH is good for that.

In all seriousness , I've shipped many cases of ammo out of the Shrewsbury usps hub. Total pain in the ass and expensive.

Well assuming UPS hasn't instituted some "woke" company policy, it would be good to create a clear guideline that the people working the counter understand so people can engage in their Constitutionally protected activities.
HazMat labels were standardized maybe 5 years ago.

Your best bet is to know the shippers regulations and print out your own labels and just drop it off at the counter. You gave them a chance to think and they are ALWAYS going to error on the side of keeping their job.

Back
Top Bottom