"Suspicious Individual" rings my doorbell

How about getting her some OC or a stun gun? Still provides a line of defense but she might be more comfortable with a non lethal option.

That's exactly what my wife has done. I can wish she'd carry or at least learn to shoot but I also know her and her limitations.

Just had a conversation with the Warden. Here's how I put it: why not apply for a LTC-A? Yeah, you'll have to take a safety course, but that's actually the fun part. Once you get the LTC then you can carry pepper spray or whatever - the point is to get the license so you have it. Think of it as just another piece of plastic in your wallet.

She said "that's a good point. We have guns in the house. If you're not home they're just funiture."

Finger crossed. I'll hold off a few days to put the app in front of her.

Just had a conversation with the Warden. Here's how I put it: why not apply for a LTC-A? Yeah, you'll have to take a safety course, but that's actually the fun part. Once you get the LTC then you can carry pepper spray or whatever - the point is to get the license so you have it. Think of it as just another piece of plastic in your wallet.

She said "that's a good point. We have guns in the house. If you're not home they're just funiture."
Finger crossed. I'll hold off a few days to put the app in front of her.

Gotta love that logic!

I did not know that! However, it's not surprising.

Well then OC it is.

MGL chapter 140 Section 131J:

Chapter 140: Section 131J. Sale or possession of electrical weapons; penalties

Section 131J. No person shall possess a portable device or weapon from which an electrical current, impulse, wave or beam may be directed, which current, impulse, wave or beam is designed to incapacitate temporarily, injure or kill, except: (1) a federal, state or municipal law enforcement officer, or member of a special reaction team in a state prison or designated special operations or tactical team in a county correctional facility, acting in the discharge of his official duties who has completed a training course approved by the secretary of public safety in the use of such a devise or weapon designed to incapacitate temporarily; or (2) a supplier of such devices or weapons designed to incapacitate temporarily, if possession of the device or weapon is necessary to the supply or sale of the device or weapon within the scope of such sale or supply enterprise. No person shall sell or offer for sale such device or weapon, except to federal, state or municipal law enforcement agencies. A device or weapon sold under this section shall include a mechanism for tracking the number of times the device or weapon has been fired. The secretary of public safety shall adopt regulations governing who may sell or offer to sell such devices or weapons in the commonwealth and governing law enforcement training on the appropriate use of portable electrical weapons.

Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 or by imprisonment in the house of correction for not less than 6 months nor more than 21/2 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment. A law enforcement officer may arrest without a warrant any person whom he has probable cause to believe has violated this section.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131j.htm

Best part of a rather good sized mean looking dog with a bark that shakes the front door... most folks are off the steps and on the walkway with that "should I run" look in their eyes when I open the door.

Then seeing me having to hold her back keeps conversations short.

but it is always nice having the snubby IWB holder, just incase [wink]

the wife doesnt answer the door without the dog either.

A FEW well placed nra window decals,,,or stickers plus some back issues of GUNS/N AMMO..magazines left where the potential gobblins will see them ,,,might make them to want to knock else-where..i see a sign posted in new-orleans after the hurricain....OWNER INSIDE WITH UGLY DOG ,UGLY WOMEN ,2 SHOTGUNS 2 RIFLES AND 3 HANDGUNS .A CLAW HAMMER AND ONE LARGE KNIFE..KEEP MOVING

What you really need is a gravestone set in the front lawn with the inscription:
Here Lies
The Last Guy That
Broke Into My House
Born: Who Cares?
Deceased: 30 seconds
after he broke in​

Maybe approach it from the other direction.

Well, if you are not up for learning to fire a weapon and carrying..
Then I guess the mine field and electric fence are right out then??

As ridiculous as it sounds, the one thing that needs to happen is a transformation in her line of thinking from everything's ok, nothing will ever happen to US, to a what if and how does she protect herself and her family..

I always thought Chelsea was bad, but after hearing all these stories....... Well, I guess I wasn't alone. I recently moved out, but brother still lives there with his wife. He's had his car broken into twice now. While I was there about 12 years ago, I did have one break-in while I was away on business. Thieving bastard made off with over 30K in baseball and hockey memorabilia and about 1000 rds of .45 and 9mm ammo. Thankfully, I had my guns placed in storage while I was out.

I'm in a much better neighborhood now. We had to move 'cause we needed a bigger house for the kids. The neighbors all around me are really nice folk who tend to look out for each other. We have a cop who lives a few houses down as well. Certainly not what I was used. That said, I always look out the window before I open the door and my kids are constantly schooled about this AND I am the only one that opens the door at night when we're not expecting anyone. Usually my SW M60 (or 1911) is on hand. If my wife wasn't so damned against having free running pets, we'd have a guard dog too (friggin' women).

Anyway, for you brave souls with the fortitude to stay in these areas, great credit goes out to you for sticking it out. I'm sure there's a lot of folks who still live that's really glad not everyone in the neighborhood is a criminal.

Who knew OJ was in Chelsea?

I repaired a gun for a fellow and he was concerned to have it back quick.he goes out at home in evening and fires a couple shots.keeps the bad n**gers away he said.(he is black himself.)
You people vote in Kennedy who changed the emigration laws.and bused them up to new england.
Me I dont worry with 90 acres and a rifle range in back of gararge,and an M1 to open eyes.no one wants a part of me.
COME ON DOWN.THE TAXES ARE LOW AND SO ARE THE WAGES.
4 deer in freezer and no checking station,and unlimited bucks from 9/1 to 1/1.
no FID.shall issue for CCW.but you only need it if your carrying concealed.
[rofl] [laugh]

Please tell me why you needed to say that "he is black himself" AFTER the comment "keeps the bad ******s away"? When will you country bumkins realize that the definition of a '******' was not always by definition to mean an ignorant person?

I had a conversation with Big Bob about the rash of crime in our earstwhile quiet section of Wormtowne. He suggested that because the WPD is "cracking down" on the Main/South, GBV, and Lincoln St. sections of the city, that some of the bad guys are branching out to explore the hinterlands. That would make sense, but I have a hard time giving the bad guys that much credit. Then again, cockroaches, rodents, and other vermin will move next door when the pesticides are applied.

It's been a week and no signs of trouble at our place. It's Friday though. Big business for the drug dealer across the street tonight, and the riff raff comes out of the woodwork...

I had a conversation with Big Bob about the rash of crime in our earstwhile quiet section of Wormtowne. He suggested that because the WPD is "cracking down" on the Main/South, GBV, and Lincoln St. sections of the city, that some of the bad guys are branching out to explore the hinterlands. That would make sense, but I have a hard time giving the bad guys that much credit. Then again, cockroaches, rodents, and other vermin will move next door when the pesticides are applied.

It's been a week and no signs of trouble at our place. It's Friday though. Big business for the drug dealer across the street tonight, and the riff raff comes out of the woodwork...

LOCK & LOAD. [wink]

During the many years that I lived in Main South, our complaint was that they didn't "crack down" and chase the hookers and low-level dope dealers out of the neighborhood. The reasoning at the time, as we concerned residents understood it, was that the law was willing to keep a certain criminal element contained within the boundaries of Main South, for several reasons.

For one thing, they could give this criminal element a relatively safe haven within which to operate, resulting in a small community of snitches who would trade the favor by ratting out higher level criminals.

For another thing, the good citizens of the west side, Elm Park, and upper Burncoat would not be causing the PD phones to ring off the hook every time a drug punk or hooker was spotted ... and they weren't, because they were all down in Main South. And in Main South, the ratio of lawyers, doctors and glitterati to the general population was pretty low. We had no political clout.

I think, KT, that your situation is a consequence of the inevitable reality that cancer spreads. It may or may not be due to increased policing in Main South. I'm skeptical of that, though. What's the motivation to crack down on crime in Main South, where crime is accepted as a fact of life?

Rather, I suspect that your neighborhood is going to hell in a handbasket as a result of the failure of the law to contain crime to the few square blocks it had roped off years ago.

As long as you live in that neighborhood, especially during this current economic downturn, you may expect to be a target for car theft, burglary, and "malicious mischief".

To paraphrase Curtis Sliwa ... "Boston makes it, Worcester takes it."

Most petty criminals will avoid alarm systems, on cars and on homes. Most will avoid daylight robbery and assault. Being alarmed, aware and armed is a big plus. And an armed response is always an appropriate response to any intrusion on your sanctuary.

Living in the inner city requires a certain ... bunker mentality. For the most part, you'll be allright if you stay alert. Take nothing for granted.

In the long run, make plans for your exit from the spreading ghetto.

And, as always, good luck.

...It's been a week and no signs of trouble at our place. It's Friday though. Big business for the drug dealer across the street tonight, and the riff raff comes out of the woodwork...

Either get some of those stick-in-the-ground Christmas spotlights and point them (sort of) around the corners of your house pointing out. That, or get some decent landscape lighting. Call WPD today and ask for the detective bureau. Ask to have a detective sit with you in your living room and watch the goings on at the peak period. If you have a connection at WPD, have them call for you. You want to get the name of a detective assigned to the case. Record every license plate and person's description who comes and goes there. Send it to the assigned detective twice a week which is enough to keep them up to date but not enough to be a bother. Eventually, these scum will slip up or do something stupid. Your vigilance and the lights will drive them into doing more inside or at other locations. Talk to every neighbor you know, and tell them what you are doing and why and then ask them to do the same. If enough people band together and talk to the PD, they will act. It may be slow, but they will do something. Moving will only be a temporary solution. These people are coming out to the outlying towns now as well, so you might as well be prepared for it and stop it in its tracks. I would also call the PD every time there is a suspicious person and report it in as just that, a suspicious person. Eventually, they will get the hint and take it more underground. Just don't make it obvious it is you calling. You also want your neighbors in on it so you all can cover for each other when out of the house. Maybe call and invite your neighbors over for dinner or coffee or tea or something. Get to know them and befriend them. I don't know where you live, but from the context of the message before this one, it must be somewhere adjacent to the Main South area. It used to be Elm Street was kind of the DMZ. I think it has moved to Highland and also possibly across Park Ave now. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom