• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sudden value increase!

Love that this thread is back... It took me a minute to notice that it was a year old.
Lumber prices are coming down. In fact, the commodity lumber market is crashing and lots of folks are going to take a bath, big time. Stuff that was selling for $2500/1000 bfm six months ago, is trading as low as $500/1000bfm.
The big guys will be able to take the hit, but some of the little guys will go under. I buy mostly white cedar and it's a tiny niche market. Prices rose about 50% not the 300% of SPF. Steel, aluminum and PVC is showing no signs of reduced demand.

Ammo prices are still high, But some years ago @drgrant advised, "stack ammo deep, and don't stop until you need a forklift to move it."
Well, I may not need a forklift, but definitely a pallet jack! And most of it was purchased at 1/3 of today's prices. And I am not selling.
It's nice to be on the right side of a shortage every now and again.

I guess if I was going to point a finger it would be our pals who run this state. I was in New Hampshire a few weeks ago buying an old Winchester 1892 and there were ARs for sale in the $800.00-$900.00 range. None could be sold to Ma residents.

Realistically speaking the only people paying the higher costs on ak’s,ar’s and glocks are newer gun owners who don’t know there are more affordable ways. Local shops are selling mak 90’s used for $1800-2000. You can buy a still unused one on gb for 1400-1500 and a lightly used between 1100-1300. That’s a significant price difference for people who don’t know. I try to help out new gun owners as much as I can to keep them from over spending needlessly.

All the gun and ammo shortages and resulting price increases are wholly attributable to Democrat attempts to to impose gun control.

Both bans and mandates have easily predictable results. By and large, good people do not take well to being told what they can and can't do, and will rebel against attempts to infringe on their rights by stocking up on the things that are (or could be) banned.

Go ahead, Biden. Say "assault weapon" one more time. You sell 10,000 ARs every time you open your mouth.

All the gun shops here have ARs and lowers, and decent-enough selections of handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Ammo is generally available, if overpriced.

Last edited:
Realistically speaking the only people paying the higher costs on ak’s,ar’s and glocks are newer gun owners who don’t know there are more affordable ways. Local shops are selling mak 90’s used for $1800-2000. You can buy a still unused one on gb for 1400-1500 and a lightly used between 1100-1300. That’s a significant price difference for people who don’t know. I try to help out new gun owners as much as I can to keep them from over spending needlessly.

I thought the 'newer gun owners' are the guys who crowd into four seasons like sardines in a can and get talked into buying M&Ps and their apex service all day errry day haha

I thought the 'newer gun owners' are the guys who crowd into four seasons like sardines in a can and get talked into buying M&Ps and their apex service all day errry day haha
They are. Most knowledgeable and experienced gun owners don't shop in Woburn, they shop in Littleton

Love that this thread is back... It took me a minute to notice that it was a year old.
Lumber prices are coming down. In fact, the commodity lumber market is crashing and lots of folks are going to take a bath, big time. Stuff that was selling for $2500/1000 bfm six months ago, is trading as low as $500/1000bfm.
The big guys will be able to take the hit, but some of the little guys will go under. I buy mostly white cedar and it's a tiny niche market. Prices rose about 50% not the 300% of SPF. Steel, aluminum and PVC is showing no signs of reduced demand.

Ammo prices are still high, But some years ago @drgrant advised, "stack ammo deep, and don't stop until you need a forklift to move it."
Well, I may not need a forklift, but definitely a pallet jack! And most of it was purchased at 1/3 of today's prices. And I am not selling.
It's nice to be on the right side of a shortage every now and again.
This is interesting.

One of the largest firearms distributors in the nation Jerry's Sports Center and their parent company United Sporting Companies went bankrupt in early 2019. They had stocked up on inventory HUGELY anticipating a Hillary Clinton win and subsequent run on firearms.

When Trump won and the market cooled off, they were screwed. If they could have only held on for another 9 months, they would have made a killing.

Realistically speaking, the smart gun owners were selling their ARs and AKs 6 months ago when the market was insane. Its hot now, but not like it was. And there are now ample buying opportunities to buy at inflated but not insane prices.

During the post-sandy hook insanity I unloaded a bunch of black (and tan) scary guns for insane money. I was able to do it guilt free by putting them up on GunBroker and setting a very reasonable starting price and letting the market take it from there.

I was able to replace everything I enjoyed shooting when things cooled off. Except for my KelTec Sub2000. Yes, I enjoyed shooting it. ha. Does Keltec actually make guns or just design them and tease them? ha.

Back
Top Bottom