• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Value of pre 1994 Steyr AUG mags? Also includes official guide from Steyr on date checking AUG mags (it's EASY)...

tsh77769

NES Member
I found an OFFICIAL guide FROM STEYR on dating Steyr AUG 30rd mags! It is very easy.
IMG_20230415_035105945.jpg IMG_20230415_035136662.jpg

So for my two example mags in the pics F/06 would be 1988 JUN and the G/11 would be 1989 NOV.

Also BTW the ones with black floorplates were "police" models and green floorplates were "military" (and US civilian) models same as the guns.

So I went into storage and found that I have 18 new 30rd AUG mags that are externally date marked and proof positive pre 94 ban mags. Some are black floorplates and some are green.

I live in Alaska and I have other post-94 AUG mags so I am trying to figure out when I do sell them what I should ask.

BTW I have a bunch of 42rd mags but I do not know how to date check them (they have a different code some weird dial thing). If someone can help with that I would be grateful.

tsh77769

Last edited:
YES! Defacing it to hide its origin date would be a major felony, evidence destruction or tampering, which usually is 7 to 10 years. A guy I had to testify against had a possible self defense claim but lied and moved and hid and destroyed evidence and that is what got him 8 years and a life sentence of being an ex con felon. If he had not done all that he might have come out ok.

Yeah I think that's a great way to go but some people want the original design and it is probably the best 556 mag ever made.

what makes it better than a vietnam era 20 rd mag, or a pmag? IMO if you can't buy mags its a showpiece/worthless. You can get PMAGs for $8. I have about 50 of em. Can you do that with waffle mags?

YES! Defacing it to hide its origin date would be a major felony, evidence destruction or tampering, which usually is 7 to 10 years. A guy I had to testify against had a possible self defense claim but lied and moved and hid and destroyed evidence and that is what got him 8 years and a life sentence of being an ex con felon. If he had not done all that he might have come out ok.

It’s not evidence of a crime if you do it in state where full cap mags aren’t regulated.

What about possessing magazines that someone else defaced?

what makes it better than a vietnam era 20 rd mag, or a pmag? IMO if you can't buy mags its a showpiece/worthless. You can get PMAGs for $8. I have about 50 of em. Can you do that with waffle mags?
There aren't any pre 1994 pmags.

We're talking pre-1994 mags here.

Evidence of what? That argument is like saying somebody can get in trouble for eating a sandwich. "Destruction of evidence" is very context specific. Some guy grinding off date codes on magazines, sans an indictment isn't "tampering with evidence" because that person hasn't even been accused of a crime yet.

It’s not evidence of a crime if you do it in state where full cap mags aren’t regulated.

What about possessing magazines that someone else defaced?
I would argue that it's not evidence of a crime. Unless you've actually been indicted for it and you "somehow" modified the mags after the fact.... EG you had been indicted/arrested but the stuff hadn't actually been seized yet by police.

If it was easy to rap somebody with that then they wouldn't have or need laws against defacing serial numbers on firearms.

Could you get 42-round PMAGs at that price? I loaded up on AUG mags at $11, using the proceeds from selling off my old pre-ban mags at the Manchester show

1681923661149.png

I might have a few more pre-AWB 30s somewhere if anybody is going to be up around Manchester this summer and wants to trade -- your bottled stouts from Treehouse for my mags.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you can’t destroy evidence or tamper with evidence before a crime is committed

Back
Top Bottom