• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trade in value info

Like I said in another thread, a friend recently consigned a MAK90 at a LGS and asked me what would be a reasonable price. I told him $2,150. It sold in a couple of hours and he had a check im his hand 2 days later.

Had he tried to sell it here for $1,850 he would have received about 2 dozen laughing emojis and 5 DMs from guys with no feedback asking about legality.

Consigning is almost always the way to go unless it’s a weirdo undesirable gun.

If its on the list and you are not in a rush consignment works well.
I did a bunch through "Steve's tactical" and everything sold for what I wanted and they were great
That's who sold my handguns. Steve is a good guy to deal with.

I was going to trade in a few guns at a local shop. Can you recommend an online site or a book that has current trade in prices, etc? Also, if a rifle has a decent scope, is it better to remove it and sell separately or keep them as a set. Thanks
Unless you have something really really nice and in demand, you’re not getting much on trade-ins. Now this is what you do sit down and decide what is the absolute lowest price you will take for those guns you want to trade. That will be the best you could get on a trade now take at least 30% off that price. That will be closer to what you will get for a trade.

If you’d like, you can, PM, me and I will look up the guns on bluebook gun values, but that’s not a trade value.

I’ve traded in a few guns. Every time the gun dealer grabbed that big old blue book of gun values opened it up and gave me whatever the lowest value of that firearm was. For example, I traded a old Winchester 1300 shotgun. It was in mint shape if you use the NRA guide other than not having the box and papers, it was at 90% at that time at 90% that shotgun was worth $225 at the low end of the scale 30% condition. It was worth 80 bucks. That’s what he offered me.

I was going to trade in a few guns at a local shop. Can you recommend an online site or a book that has current trade in prices, etc? Also, if a rifle has a decent scope, is it better to remove it and sell separately or keep them as a set. Thanks
I was in a gun store a couple weeks ago and a guy was selling a little semi. I was shocked at what they offered him for it, I will never try to sell any of my guns via a gun store.

As for selling a rifle that already has a scope it’s very dependent on what the scope is what the Rifle is what the buyer wants. If you’re looking to get the most money, you’re probably better off selling them separately again depends on what you have old scopes are not always valuable and they’re only valuable when there’s a lot of people looking to buy them.
When it comes to scopes, if it’s an older scope, check places like eBay and see what they’re trying to get from on eBay

Unless you have something really really nice and in demand, you’re not getting much on trade-ins. Now this is what you do sit down and decide what is the absolute lowest price you will take for those guns you want to trade. That will be the best you could get on a trade now take at least 30% off that price. That will be closer to what you will get for a trade.

If you’d like, you can, PM, me and I will look up the guns on bluebook gun values, but that’s not a trade value.

I’ve traded in a few guns. Every time the gun dealer grabbed that big old blue book of gun values opened it up and gave me whatever the lowest value of that firearm was. For example, I traded a old Winchester 1300 shotgun. It was in mint shape if you use the NRA guide other than not having the box and papers, it was at 90% at that time at 90% that shotgun was worth $225 at the low end of the scale 30% condition. It was worth 80 bucks. That’s what he offered me.
I am sure there are good ones out there, I guess one should ask around first though. I wasn't looking to sell.

To echo, but reinforce what most other NES members have said... trade ins at gun shops, pawn shops, et cetera are infamous for paying lowball prices.

The NES classifieds are a great option - primarily due to the lower amount of complete sketchballs, scammers and skinflints that than are on Armslist. You may have somewhat less exposure here but the lack of headache may be worth it for you.

"Trade in value" sites are useless and often have ZERO relavance to the local market value of firearms.
FIFY

Another option is consignment, which may not do as well as a private sale but better than a shop buying outright.

Fours Seasons charges 18%, and will sometimes go to 15% on very expensive guns or large collections. You set the price which is why you sometime see excessively hopeful pricing on the Four Seasons site, which is a mixture of consignment and shop owned guns. You can get a good idea of asking prices at http://used.fsguns.com, but consider that some may be overpriced by the consignor.
Shooters Outpost in Hooksett is now at 18%. Sometimes they want to price things too high, and they don't move. At least when it goes, they have the check to you in a few days. Unfortunately, they are kind of far from me. The local place makes you wait 10 days (for inspection of the used gun by the buyer) and 45 days after that to issue a check. Pure B.S.
In the olden days we used the "Blue Book". Is that still a thing? Jack.
Shooters used to use it, and give you a percentage of the book value to consign it at. Last people I think to use it.
dunno why people are so afraid of it, but, it is extremely easy to sell on gunbroker.

and an auction end price is almost always fair. you will hit much larger audience than here, and will get way better final price than any shop may offer.
It's a pain, especially now with the B.S. of having to collect sales tax, when GB then collect back to pay the seller's state. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped selling on GB.
The payment side of it sucks.
See above.
No, not unless you use the Gunbroker system to process the payments. You do have to pay the sales tax (to Gunbroker) that is charged to the buyer if applicable (the buyer sends you the payment, including any sales tax, Gunbroker charges your credit card the selling fees and sales tax, if there is one in the buyer's state).
I lose money on guns (and every thing else). No way I need someone reporting to the Feds that I had "$X" in sales, when it's money I'm losing, and already paid tax on before buying a gun.
That is really low. Right now they are flush with handguns and black rifles. I wouldn't bring anything like that up there. Not that anyone sane would bring a lower from MA to trade up there, but I heard them say they are pretty much done taking in lowers, and maybe black rifles.

They've lowballed me for certain things at times.....and I just take it back home. Then there's times when I've been surprised what they offer. In most cases store credit, its fair.
The problem with KTP is that they offer you little money for something if they have a lot of similar items. It makes sense, except that they now have hundreds of guns that have been just sitting there for months at their asking price. After a while, they should lower the prices and move them out. Problem solved.

While $250 is low, did your friend have proof of who did the work?

I don't think I would ever buy a used gun that claimed it has work done, unless I am very familiar with what I am looking at, or I know the seller or I know the gunsmith.

For example, I would buy a Vaquero that claims to have had work done by a reputable CAS gunsmith (like Jimmy Spurs) because I know what I am looking at and how the stock gun feels.

What I am trying to say is, the $800 worth of work probably won't matter to the buyer.

Yes, paperwork was provided. I'll try and post up a few pics tomorrow.

FIFY

I lose money on guns (and every thing else). No way I need someone reporting to the Feds that I had "$X" in sales, when it's money I'm losing, and already paid tax on before buying a gun.

The problem with KTP is that they offer you little money for something if they have a lot of similar items. It makes sense, except that they now have hundreds of guns that have been just sitting there for months at their asking price. After a while, they should lower the prices and move them out. Problem solved.
Most of the time, I lose some money on trades and sales. too. Only exceptions to that are if I have a gun my dad bought years ago for way less because inflation and manufacturing cost. Or like in the current market for leverguns and milsurp.they for some reason have appreciated rapidly.

I will say guns that hold their value somewhat decently are O/U guns, because the inflation on those just to make them is like 7-10% a year, no matter what, they go up every year new.

Keep a lower grade working man good brand name Berretta or Browning O/U, 5 years and a new one will already cost $600-800 more than you paid for it by just inflation. You then can price your gun for what you bought it for because the market gave you some advantage to do that. High grade guns not so much....only certain people are looking guns over 5K, most people don't care about extra fancy shit and you'll not do as well with those.

I very rarely if ever trade O/U guns to a dealer....I sell them here, after using them for 3 to 5 years, usually close to what I bought them for. I also buy them when Browning has their 10% off sale at KTP, usually using a gift card as well......but odds are I'm going to buy a new one to replace it anyway. So I never pocket the money......

KTP does exactly that....if they have a shxt ton of something they won't take it, or lowball.....but if you ran a business you'd do the same thing wouldn't you??? And although I haven't seen it there in a few years because of the gun buying stupidity. You will start to see the tags at KTP have dates on them....after a certain date they will start discounting it. Im betting there are some black rifles and handguns in the case there now that are discounted.

FIFY

Shooters Outpost in Hooksett is now at 18%. Sometimes they want to price things too high, and they don't move. At least when it goes, they have the check to you in a few days. Unfortunately, they are kind of far from me. The local place makes you wait 10 days (for inspection of the used gun by the buyer) and 45 days after that to issue a check. Pure B.S.

Shooters used to use it, and give you a percentage of the book value to consign it at. Last people I think to use it.

It's a pain, especially now with the B.S. of having to collect sales tax, when GB then collect back to pay the seller's state. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped selling on GB.

See above.

Only time you get a ok price if the counter guy really wants your gun for himself.

KTP does exactly that....if they have a shxt ton of something they won't take it, or lowball.....but if you ran a business you'd do the same thing wouldn't you???
Probably not. Looking at what they've paid for mine and comparing it to what they mark up, it's running at 50% mark up. If things sit there that long, I'd want to clear them out. Glocks aren't exactly appreciating sitting there, and S&W is like Chevy - always giving a discount on new. Sig probably sells more new to employees at their discount or Vets/LE at theirs. So, if they could probably flip them at 25% and have stuff turning over all the time.

Back
Top Bottom