Trade in value info

trading in/selling to a shop is the best way to get the lowest possible $$$ for your guns. I usually just straight up decline to buy, but if people really want to sell them, I offer on average 60% of dealer COST for your typical random gun. Upgrades are worth nothing and might take away value. Lack of boxes and other stuff it came with take away value. You get the idea.

Selling privately is always the way to go and what I recommend to people who try and get me to buy their stuff.

The only time you might get reasonable money is if you have something rare and highly sought after.

Sell them yourself

I about shit my pants when I heard my local FFL telling some dude what he'd pay for a few unfired shotguns. Hell, I've paid more for old single-shot .22s. The poor bastard took the money, though. Couldn't believe it.

NES classifieds but don't be greedy.

Something similar to that happened to me at the old Riley's and on the spot I offered the guy more for a gun. Gun store guy was not happy and asked me to leave so I said to the other customer OK can we talk outside? And he did and all was good.

Also know that he had several guns he was getting rid of and I was only interested in one. So don't call me names because all the others went back in and became store inventory.

trading in/selling to a shop is the best way to get the lowest possible $$$ for your guns. I usually just straight up decline to buy, but if people really want to sell them, I offer on average 60% of dealer COST for your typical random gun. Upgrades are worth nothing and might take away value. Lack of boxes and other stuff it came with take away value. You get the idea.

Selling privately is always the way to go and what I recommend to people who try and get me to buy their stuff.

The only time you might get reasonable money is if you have something rare and highly sought after.

Sell them yourself
I think it depends on the shop. Years ago I was selling a 686 4" that i wasn't crazy about and was going to put it on consignment at a shop in Uxbridge. This is before prices went full retard and priced it for what i saw the average selling price was. The shop owner bought it from me because he knew that he could get rid of it quickly and he didn't haggle on my price.

I was going to trade in a few guns at a local shop. Can you recommend an online site or a book that has current trade in prices, etc? Also, if a rifle has a decent scope, is it better to remove it and sell separately or keep them as a set. Thanks
Armslist or Gunbroker, minus about 50%

This....I just GB'ed a Savage 99 and got way more than I paid for it, and I only bought it a year ago. Watch what your selling. Lever guns and some older fudd guns are in high demand right now.
How much you get? 300 savage?

How much you get? 300 savage?
.243 Winchester. Which should be worth more than 300 because they made less of them. It was in 90% condition wood, 95% condition blue with a period scope that didn't work well. Made a few bucks on it but I wasn't selling it to make money, I was selling it to improve my collection. That money will get used to get a .300 savage and have found a few, but nothing good enough.
I don't want stocks that are cut, holes drilled in stupid places, etc......needs to be decent in good shape and Im willing to put some money down for a good one that has been non fxcked with.

.243 Winchester. Which should be worth more than 300 because they made less of them. It was in 90% condition wood, 95% condition blue with a period scope that didn't work well. Made a few bucks on it but I wasn't selling it to make money, I was selling it to improve my collection. That money will get used to get a .300 savage and have found a few, but nothing good enough.
I don't want stocks that are cut, holes drilled in stupid places, etc......needs to be decent in good shape and Im willing to put some money down for a good one that has been non fxcked with.
What model?

Nice. My dad and grandfather have been hunting with a model 99 in 300 sav for a LONG time in Maine. My grandfather passed in 2020 and I haven’t taken the 99 yet. Been keeping it at my grandmothers house for the time being but I have access to it.

dunno why people are so afraid of it, but, it is extremely easy to sell on gunbroker.

and an auction end price is almost always fair. you will hit much larger audience than here, and will get way better final price than any shop may offer.
Do you also get a 1099 form at the end of the year from the online auction places or whoever handles the money?

puška m70 said:

The NES classifieds are a great option - primarily due to the lower amount of complete sketchballs, scammers and skinflints that are on Armslist.
you sure about that? 😂
I'm not so sure. See my response below.
If you sell here, be smart enough to realize your asking too much if it's not sold in the first two weeks. If it's still for sale after 2 months, just keep it because it means too much to you.
I had 4 handguns up here for months, not one bite (2 Glocks, H&Ks). Since I was moving to NH and wanted them to stay in MA, I put them on consignment at a local MA dealer and they sold rapidly for my NES asking price, although the dealer did buy one of the Glocks outright for MORE than what I listed it for on NES.

I had a Bushmaster factory mfd .22LR AR-15 listed here for probably close to a year. A few scared of the AG's BS backed away. Sold it to one of my students for what I had asked for it.

All that said, I'm at an age when I'm thinking of shedding quite a few of my guns. Most are grandfathered for MA, but I'm not so sure that they will really move on NES as many are very likely scared of importing papered (I have all the FA-10s) non-list guns to MA. I haven't figured out exactly what I'll do yet, but selling on NES has not impressed me over the years.

I about shit my pants when I heard my local FFL telling some dude what he'd pay for a few unfired shotguns. Hell, I've paid more for old single-shot .22s. The poor bastard took the money, though. Couldn't believe it.

NES classifieds but don't be greedy.
This, heard a shop offer $200 for a used glock 23, of course it is NH so there isn't the crazy mark up up here.

Do you also get a 1099 form at the end of the year from the online auction places or whoever handles the money?

No, not unless you use the Gunbroker system to process the payments. You do have to pay the sales tax (to Gunbroker) that is charged to the buyer if applicable (the buyer sends you the payment, including any sales tax, Gunbroker charges your credit card the selling fees and sales tax, if there is one in the buyer's state).

Even with the major skinflints we have here, you'll still get more than trading in to a shop
Dunno, man. Had a Single Six here for $500 without a nibble. Gunrunner sold it for $650. No idea what they would have paid me for it outright. Selling at wholesale ain't my thing.

Snapped up a few revolvers from NES ads when the price was right. Time and chance, baby, time and chance.

Definitely do not want to trade to a shop unless there is good reason. If priced aggressively or realistically on NES they will sell quickly especially if they are hard to get in MA. If the FTF thing is concerning do transfers at an FFL.

KTP offered $250 to my buddy for his scandium framed Commander size S&W1911 which had an additional $800 worth of work done at the custom S&W custom shop (checkering, accurizing, etc). Had a little holster wear at the front He was trying to offset the 4k used shotgun he was buying his wife. KTP appraiser said he had plenty 1911s w/o wear when my buddy asked for better pricing on it.

On the way up he offered me for whatever KTP offered him. When the guy made the offer he looked at me completely discouraged and said $500? Heck Yea! Tight and an excellent shooter very accurate.

I felt that Collectors Coin was fair with me on a purchase. I traded 2 pistols (1 common gun for about a 100$ loss over retail and broke even on the other which was about $200 under retail then added $100 cash) for the hard to find gun I wanted. That worked for me as I unloaded 2 I did not like or shoot for one I do. Value on the one I got has shot up drastically over the last couple years so I'm happy.

KTP offered $250 to my buddy for his scandium framed Commander size S&W1911 which had an additional $800 worth of work done at the custom S&W custom shop (checkering, accurizing, etc).
While $250 is low, did your friend have proof of who did the work?

I don't think I would ever buy a used gun that claimed it has work done, unless I am very familiar with what I am looking at, or I know the seller or I know the gunsmith.

For example, I would buy a Vaquero that claims to have had work done by a reputable CAS gunsmith (like Jimmy Spurs) because I know what I am looking at and how the stock gun feels.

What I am trying to say is, the $800 worth of work probably won't matter to the buyer.

What I am trying to say is, the $800 worth of work probably won't matter to the buyer.

I couldn't agree more, but I'm not even counting that: ANY 1911Sc will sell for $750 in any state, I'd assume, as long as it's in good order. Probably more. $250 is insulting for that gun.

I don't think I would ever buy a used gun that claimed it has work done, unless I am very familiar with what I am looking at, or I know the seller or I know the gunsmith.
So true, at least for me it is. I have a S&W 625 and 617 (six shot) that have had excellent trigger work done, I bought them both used but I knew Santurri did the work and in the case of the 625 I knew the previous owner as well.

Just as an extra suggestion:

If you don't have another firearm now, or planning to, that you can use the scope for, try listing it up for a trade for something else you might use. Ammo, reloading equipment, mags, whatever. I've done this a few times and wound up with higher value than what I was getting for cash offers. IE, you might get offered 50% or less for an optic in cash, but closer to 75-80% in trade value. Unless you just really need the cash.

I've had plenty of luck with Armslist over the years, too. Not hard to filter out people/bad deals ahead of time. I just don't like how they switched to a for-profit-screw-you system over the last few years, and their customer service is all a bunch of dicks.

If you sell here, be smart enough to realize your asking too much if it's not sold in the first two weeks. If it's still for sale after 2 months, just keep it because it means too much to you.

I agree. $250 was a bullsh*t low ball offer.
That is really low. Right now they are flush with handguns and black rifles. I wouldn't bring anything like that up there. Not that anyone sane would bring a lower from MA to trade up there, but I heard them say they are pretty much done taking in lowers, and maybe black rifles.

They've lowballed me for certain things at times.....and I just take it back home. Then there's times when I've been surprised what they offer. In most cases store credit, its fair.

Hmmmmm......when I was selling my ML someone said they would take it for free if I wanted to get rid of it.
I've had people offer me1/3rd of what I was asking, and I usually am on the low side of prices. The first time this happened I answered the guy and said i was firm, and he said I was crazy high, and would never sell it for that. I sold it a day later for asking.

Then you get the guys that say "Had to try!" Might as well say.....had to try and screw you for 1/2 what its worth. I know they are just looking for desparate suckers.

I just totally ignore any goofballs now, no matter how many times they message me. Once someone goes super lowball, they don't get an answer.

I've had people offer me1/3rd of what I was asking, and I usually am on the low side of prices. The first time this happened I answered the guy and said i was firm, and he said I was crazy high, and would never sell it for that. I sold it a day later for asking.

Then you get the guys that say "Had to try!" Might as well say.....had to try and screw you for 1/2 what its worth. I know they are just looking for desparate suckers.

I just totally ignore any goofballs now, no matter how many times they message me. Once someone goes super lowball, they don't get an answer.
Well......at least it was a 1/3rd and not for free.......

Back
Top Bottom