• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

STOP ERPO TODAY!!! - Light Up The State House Phones!

Some of the changes from the earlier version. The new version
1. gets rid of requirement of proof needed for a judge to issue ERPO order
2. gets rid of appeal process
3. gets rid of state appointed attorney for person accused of being dangerous
4. has an even looser definition of who can file for an ERPO
5. models the 209A language WRT how seized firearms must be handled. (they can only be transferred to an FFL, bonded warehouse, etc.)

Wow, this has gotten much worse.

Was this House or Senate? If Senate, where is Senator Michael Moore on this? Actually, either way, since he is chair of Public Safety Committee, and what they say should hold some sway with both sides.

Wow, this has gotten much worse.

Was this House or Senate? If Senate, where is Senator Michael Moore on this? Actually, either way, since he is chair of Public Safety Committee, and what they say should hold some sway with both sides.

It's still in the House.

GOAL should have worked with them from the start to craft a reasonable ERPO bill instead of just opposing. The whole "cruel and dangerous" bit was never going to work, and it probably pissed them off.

Wait till they disarm a woman because her violent ex-hubby says she's dangerous. And then the inevitable happens. Can't wait for the law suits. Deleo and company for punitive damages.

GOAL should have worked with them from the start to craft a reasonable ERPO bill instead of just opposing. The whole "cruel and dangerous" bit was never going to work, and it probably pissed them off.

boston 4567 you may not like this post, but i'm getting tired of people blaming GOAL for this and all the other BS laws passed in mass.

boston 4567 you may not like this post, but i'm getting tired of people blaming GOAL for this and all the other BS laws passed in mass.
Agree, I mean wtf, people bitch when they compromise. And bitch when they don't. This state sucks, plain and simple.

Earth to B4567, they are/did: Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO) Legislation Advancing Through House, Please Call Your State Representative Immediately, Ask Them To Sign Rep. Joe McKenna’s Letter To House Ways & Means Committee Urging Support Of GOAL’s Compassionate Alternative Language!

You are clueless about the ringleader politicians pushing this shit. They have nothing but utter contempt and hate for you. There is nothing 'reasonable' about a bunch of little tyrants mentally masturbating, ego tripping, and getting their chuckles out of using any excuse in the book to stomp on people they loathe. If they were serious about public safety they'd be passing mental health bills, which oh lookie THEY CAN'T BE BOTHERED.

That was a pipe dream, not an actual realistic alternative in Massachusetts. A gun-focused ERPO bill was clearly getting steamrolled through, we knew that a month ago.

They could have worked within the context of the existing bill to focus it on due process. Give it a high burden of proof and make it so only cops or DAs could apply for them, and you'd give them a "win" they could present at a press conference without negatively affecting us at all.

That was a pipe dream, not an actual realistic alternative in Massachusetts. A gun-focused ERPO bill was clearly getting steamrolled through, we knew that a month ago.

They could have worked within the context of the existing bill to focus it on due process. Give it a high burden of proof and make it so only cops or DAs could apply for them, and you'd give them a "win" they could present at a press conference without negatively affecting us at all.
Are you that gullible, after these mass killings they felt momentum and drove it deep into our rectum. They weren’t going to “negotiate “

Are you that gullible, after these mass killings they felt momentum and drove it deep into our rectum. They weren’t going to “negotiate “

There seems to be a strange dichotomy in thought here. If the legislature is not going to listen to GOAL and is going to pass whatever it wants, why does GOAL exist and why do we donate to it? Why would GOAL even bother to articulate a position?

We should be trying to get the best possible outcome for our cause. There are legislators willing to listen if our "asks" are within the window of political possibility. For this particular bill, the stuff GOAL was pushing was very clearly outside that window, and so we're getting steamrolled.

I don't think due process provisions of the sort RI, CT, and VT got in their bills were outside that window of possibility. And lots of legislators would rather be praised by both sides if they can.

It's a matter of time before we're forced to wear some sort of mark showing us as Mass resident gun owners. The persecution level is increasing on an almost daily basis.[thinking]

Last edited:
So no due process, no appeal, no legal representation - just the govt is showing up, taking your stuff and you are never getting it back...……………..

Well that makes decisions easy doesn't it.

So no due process, no appeal, no legal representation - just the govt is showing up, taking your stuff and you are never getting it back...……………..

...and no burden of proof for the petitioner.

Again, Wallace is not being listened to by any amount of politicians that will make any difference. It really doesn’t matter what he said either way. Blame GOAL, don’t blame GOAL... whatever. We can debate that later.

Right now, our only job is to reach out our local Reps, and get them to tell you how they are voting and post those results here. The question to my Rep, who is an R with no competition, will be:
Knowing that your affirmative vote will ensure no proof, no appeal, no appointed legal representation, no due process, are you willing to vote for a bill that is blatently unconstitutional?

It is an election year, and it’s “save your ass time”. Thus why it is vitally important to know how these clowns are voting.

We should call the police on all the supporters of his bill and say they are threatening our civil rights![rofl]

Booyah, all our problems are solved![iwojima]

I'm in Fitchburg, and one of our State Senators is Dean Tran (R). No worries there. The other is Stephan Hay (D) I emailed his office about H. 3610 and his aide said he supported the bill. NOT the GOAL recommendations. Then he went on about not to worry about due process etc. Burden on the accuser, blah blah. SO I just cut and pasted the "new and improved" EPRO proposal for the newly "crafted" bill H. 4517. I'll see what I get for an answer now...…...

Is the bill in its final form? My understanding is that there's a long ways to go. It's been voted out of the House Committee and moving to the House floor. Then it goes to the Senate and can be amended and voted on. Then it goes to a conference committee. When it comes out of conference it gets a final up or down vote in both houses.

If I'm right, there's still lots of time to influence the final bill.

If not, no worries, we can always count on Baker's veto [rofl]

Wait till they disarm a woman because her violent ex-hubby says she's dangerous. And then the inevitable happens. Can't wait for the law suits. Deleo and company for punitive damages.

This has likely happened before but the problem is either nobody cares or that aspect of her death is buried....

I mean think about it... Lautenberg actually applies to women, too. If you go into a mandatory DV arrest state (Like VA) there are households where a husband and wife got into a scuffle, kopsch come, they run their mouths, both are arrested and then suck for a plea (dropping the charges is not an option!) and both are federally disabled....

hardly a "new" problem, just a corner case that nobody thinks about.

-Mike

Exactly. Compromise is not possible, regardless of whether it would be of value, if the other side is not only unwilling to even listen, but doubles down on the retardedness. The House leadership saw they basically got their way on the bump stock bill, so why should we expect this to be any different. Kudos to GOAL for trying to offer something better.

Maybe there's some traction in the Senate for a modicum of rationality. Also, has Tall Deval virtue-signaled his position on this yet? Maybe there's a scintilla of a chance he'll veto it. If he does, then there might be a hell-freezes-over chance the Senate would not override. I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel on this scenario, but IMNSHO I think it's the best to be hoped for at this point.

Back
Top Bottom