Sticky situation

Stay clear...taking possesion is stealing..i would not react well to someone stealing my guns while dealing with some chick who is probibly full of shit...if she had real fear she would
A Leave the situation
or
B go to the police

+1

If someone is in that much fear then the best situation would be to leave. A better thing a friend could do is offer her the spare bedroom or couch till she works things out.

tell the guy what she's planning so he can get out of Dodge...

maybe she is the psycho....

There is no upside to getting involved at all. If you do this and he kills her now what? Even if she is crazy and he gets out you will never hear the end of it from her once she finds out. Just stay out of it and do whatever needed to keep the girlfriend out of it.

If the gun owner is someone you don't know, MYOFB.

If it is someone you are close to, or really want to help, agree to take the gun ONLY if it is eFA10'ed to you, making you the legal owner. This provides the person who is giving up the gun proof he has disposed of it, and gives you proof you have not received a gun that was stolen by someone who did not have authorization to give it to you.

I had someone FA10 an EBR to me because was moving to NJ and he would send for it via FFL to FFL transfer. That was 25 years ago; the gun is still in my safe; and the case of ammo he had me store is long gone :)

If the wife has an LTC she could bring the gun to a gunsmith for a thorough cleaning and repair as a gift to the husband.
She doesn't have to tell the husband who is performing the work.

Odd, I was flipping through the channels when I got home earlier and there was one of those homicide shows on.
I thought of this thread right away.
Some gal got into it with her friend's abusive boyfriend.
The dude left and came back a half an hour later and put 7 rounds into the gals back.
The abuse victim didn't see nuffin when the cops questioned her later.

Just a review and update to my posting #35 to make sure I'm clear:
I do not see a reason to jack a guy up on a 209A, just for the hell of it.
He could be a great guy, who knows
That is why I suggested the GF to counsel her friend to CONSULT A LAWYER AND CONSIDER A 209A
Going of half cocked with knee jerk reactions helps no one.

I had someone FA10 an EBR to me because was moving to NJ and he would send for it via FFL to FFL transfer. That was 25 years ago; the gun is still in my safe; and the case of ammo he had me store is long gone :)

Forgot about that. Can I pick it up tomorrow?

My girlfriends best friend just texted her, saying that she doesn't feel safe and wants my girlfriend to take possession of her husbands handgun. I'm at a loss for what to do. I told her that I'm worried he would report it stolen and charge my girlfriend. And I'm not even sure on the legalities of taking possession in such a situation. What should I tell her?
The best "legal" means of dealing with this is to have her friend file a protective order and then have the cops come remove him and the gun from the home. What bothers me about this is the guy gets no due process. What if she is a vindictive nut job like many women are and he never was violent to begin with? I would just stay out of it completely.

Don't even think of getting involved in taking or holding the man's gun.

She can get a 209 but that won't keep her safe (assuming there is even a credible threat). She can simply leave and maybe you can support her in that.

Not advocating this path, but technically, since the friend is married, isn't the firearm marital property? Isn't the wife authorized by law to deal with it as she sees fit? Beyond the ltc requirements, how is it different than a ps4, a set of golf clubs, or a vehicle?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
No. It is a personal effect, not marital property. Put that thought in context of a married couple where the wife does not have an LTC. Would she "own" the husband's guns?

sent from my chimney using smoke signals

Don't even think of getting involved in taking or holding the man's gun.

She can get a 209 but that won't keep her safe (assuming there is even a credible threat). She can simply leave and maybe you can support her in that.

No. It is a personal effect, not marital property. Put that thought in context of a married couple where the wife does not have an LTC. Would she "own" the husband's guns?

sent from my chimney using smoke signals

A 209 won't keep her safe, its just a piece of paper. But because of the moron laws here and the judges who don't want to be blamed if anything were to happen she doesn't need evidence or even a very good story to get one. If she feels like it she can ruin his whole life, no matter if he did anything or not. And not only will she be believed while he will get the third degree when he fights it later, since he doesn't get to defend himself against the original order.

Even if he is successful and gets it removed, his guns are already gone, maybe sitting at dowd's and not worth getting out anymore, and in some towns he can't even get the LTC back as having ever been under a 209a means not suitable. (Upheld as not a violation of his rights by the SJC)

In no case will I ever suggest someone use the court system against someone else like that, I will help someone I know get away from an abuser, or do anything I can to help them get back on their feet. But I will not suggest ruining the guys life like that, plus the fact that the 209a if he is a gun guy, or has a job that requires a background check or something might be enough to put him over the edge and think he has nothing left to lose.

until you've walked a mile in a 209a-served guy's shoes.....my 2c

A close friend of mine lost his LTC because of a 209a, and hasn't been able to get it cleared even though the court shrink (the one the wife insisted on) says he's not a danger to anyone, and there's a *police report* saying that she was manipulating the system for vindictive reasons.

Judge doesn't care.

If the gun is gone she's going to feel safe? Sounds like a indoctrinated fear of guns. She's either afraid of this person or not. If she is she gets out asap. Find her a safe place to go, beyond that don't get involved

Last edited:
A 209 won't keep her safe, its just a piece of paper. But because of the moron laws here and the judges who don't want to be blamed if anything were to happen she doesn't need evidence or even a very good story to get one. If she feels like it she can ruin his whole life, no matter if he did anything or not. And not only will she be believed while he will get the third degree when he fights it later, since he doesn't get to defend himself against the original order ...

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting the woman get a 209a. I was saying that even if she did, it would not keep her safe. As you said, it's just a piece of paper. IF he whacked out on her then sure, maybe it would another charge they could stick on him, but that won't bring back the dead.

Her option is to sit tight and kick out the husband, or leave herself.

Whether it "feels right" or not, the latter is her safer option.

She can't feel as though she was put out of her home if she's dead (because if you're dead you don't care anymore).

If the guy really IS that whacked, then a 209a will simply enrage him. If he is not, a 209a will simply screw him for no advantage.

So, my advice to the lady is to simply leave.

Don't get involved in anyone else's marriage. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This...

If she is in fear of her life then she has several options: go to the authorities, or there are agencies that assist women who are experiencing difficulties.

DO NOT GET INVOLVED, you might end up being charged with theft of a firearm AT THE VERY LEAST...

nothing good will come of this

Back
Top Bottom