STEEL CHALLENGE MATCH (See post #198 for results) Harvard Sportsmen's Club 11-05-11

i'm gonna use my G17.... hmmm actually maybe i'll shoot my p220... i have not used that at a shoot yet. :)
You'll probably be faster with the G17 due to the lower bore axis of the G17 and combined with the lower recoil of 9mm.

You'll probably be faster with the G17 due to the lower bore axis of the G17 and combined with the lower recoil of 9mm.

So True... The p220 has horrible muzzle flip. But i think it feels left out. [crying]
I probably won't decide until the night before. I thought about shooting single stack for a few matches just to get some time in with it.
We'll see. :)

So True... The p220 has horrible muzzle flip. But i think it feels left out. [crying]
I probably won't decide until the night before. I thought about shooting single stack for a few matches just to get some time in with it.
We'll see. :)

Unfortunately, you can't shoot USPSA singlestack with the P220. Singlestack must be a 1911 design pistol. You could shoot limited 10 with it though, or IDPA CDP.

Unfortunately, you can't shoot USPSA singlestack with the P220. Singlestack must be a 1911 design pistol. You could shoot limited 10 with it though, or IDPA CDP.

Here's what's allowed for Iron sighted centerfire pistols (no IDPA, Limited 10 or SS divisions here):

A.3.2 Iron Sight: Any iron sighted pistol without a compensator,barrel ports, or optical sight. Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed.

A.3.3 Production: Any double action or safe action pistol on the USPSA Production gun list. No Race holsters allowed.

Rules: http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/SCSARules.pdf

One month to go..
The Door Prize Sponsor list has been updated - lot's of good stuff.
Paul Erhardt just helped to add a couple.

Please Note - You must be registered before the "SHOOTERS MEETING" starts to be eligible for a Door Prize.

So show up and register early.

Please also go to post #1 for all updates.

Last edited:

yeah, i remember reading that in the rule book now that you mention it.
My buddy wants to do 1 match with his Desert Eagle just for the fun of it. .... and yes he has enough mags, and then some, and then some more, and , well you get the idea.

:)

i'm gonna end up flipping a coin or reaching into the brass bucket... if i pull out a .45, then Sig gets the nod, if 9mm then Glock.

One month to go..
The Door Prize Sponsor list has been updated - lot's of good stuff.
Paul Erhardt just helped to add a couple.

Please Note - You must be registered before the "SHOOTERS MEETING" starts to be eligible for a Door Prize.

So show up and register early.

Please also go to post #1 for all updates.

Damn Paul- your're doing a great job! That's a good list!

Folks, I made an error at the last HSCSC match and allowed a compeditor to use a concelment
holster for the match. As the RO I should have known better or asked someone who did,
so please, make sure you have a holster that meets the below criteria, thanks.

3.1 Holsters: In general, holsters shall be mounted in the general vicinity of the waist, must cover the trigger, and must safely hold/retain the gun. All Centerfire handguns must be appropriate for holster use.

3.1.4 Due to the unique nature of the Steel Challenge, drawing from concealment is not allowed.

Dave, what about using an IWB holster without a shirt/jacket/vest over it? I'm too much of a gamer to do that, but I'm curious.
Good point jar, what I was refering to was a gent using an IWB holster, but NOT from concealment !!
(the competition side of my brain thinks any IWB holster is a concealment holster)
The rule does not state what type of holster, just that "from concealment is not allowed"

As an RO I would rather have folks draw from a OWB type holster so the muzzle path starts at their feet
and goes forward from there. The IWB holster setup typically has the muzzle pointing towards the back of
the user, and at my feet as the RO. [wink]
(side note...let's not debate the different types of IWB holsters, FBI cant etc.)

The intention of Steel Challenge is speed and accuracy, the intention of an IWB hoslter is concealment,
granted without a cover garment it is only partially concealed.

I will bring this up with the PTB and get a ruling, what a nasty can of worms opened up [smile]

An IWB holster without concealment garment is not drawing from concealment. I'm too much of a gamer to use an IWB holster in IDPA, let alone Steel Challenge, but I just don't see an issue with the rules or safety.

An IWB holster without concealment garment is not drawing from concealment. I'm too much of a gamer to use an IWB holster in IDPA, let alone Steel Challenge, but I just don't see an issue with the rules or safety.

But, you hit the nail on the head. An IWB holster isn't a game holster. Like Dave said, as an RO I don't want a muzzle pointed at me or anyone else. It will be interesting to see how this gets answered.

But, you hit the nail on the head. An IWB holster isn't a game holster. Like Dave said, as an RO I don't want a muzzle pointed at me or anyone else. It will be interesting to see how this gets answered.
Sorry, but you misinterpreted my post.

I am an IDPA SO. We have competitors in IDPA with IWB and canted holsters all the time. It simply isn't an issue. As an SO, as long as you position yourself properly it is fine. Don't stand directly behind the shooter. Stand about 3' from the strong side and a bit to the rear.

Safety will be our biggest concern at all Steel Challenge matches.
It is very uncommon to see IWB holsters used in Steel Challenge.
I'm sure these types of holsters are used in IDPA - but this is not an IDPA match.

As Match Director and an "RO" at this match I would prefer shooters not use IWB style holsters.
If a shooter does show up with an IWB type holster and is deemed unsafe by the RO he/she will be disqualified.
Additionally "a holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing further than 3 feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed" will not be allowed.

As the Steel Challenge webite notes SCSA is "The Ultimate Display of Speed and Accuracy"

Safety will be our biggest concern at all Steel Challenge matches.
It is very uncommon to see IWB holsters used in Steel Challenge.
I'm sure these types of holsters are used in IDPA - but this is not an IDPA match.

As Match Director and an "RO" at this match I would prefer shooters not use IWB style holsters.
If a shooter does show up with an IWB type holster and is deemed unsafe by the RO he/she will be disqualified.
Additionally "a holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing further than 3 feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed" will not be allowed.

As the Steel Challenge webite notes SCSA is "The Ultimate Display of Speed and Accuracy"

Well put and Thank You

Sorry, but you misinterpreted my post.

I am an IDPA SO. We have competitors in IDPA with IWB and canted holsters all the time. It simply isn't an issue. As an SO, as long as you position yourself properly it is fine. Don't stand directly behind the shooter. Stand about 3' from the strong side and a bit to the rear.
OMG, M1911

Please, please stay away from shooting sports you know nothing about! (ALL OF THEM?)
The competitive world is much bigger than your little IDPA sandbox.
(I am sure you had to pay extra for your "SO" card!)

But, you can do us all a favor!
just STFU ............

Sorry Paul, as you know, I suffer fools poorly..

Good luck with your match!

PS
hopefully, they won't want it to be a "HOT RANGE" also!

Last edited:
Dave, what about using an IWB holster without a shirt/jacket/vest over it? I'm too much of a gamer to do that, but I'm curious.
This is an irrelevant question once one realizes that a perfectly acceptable kydex holster can be had for $20-$30. There's really no reason to have to resort to an IWB holster. As an RO, I really don't like them at USPSA matches.

To date we have 20+ sponsors that have promised prizes.
MSRP value is over $3k!
This is just phenomenal and I'm even more distressed that I won't be able to attend? Can I preregister, pay my $20 and still be eligible for door prized even if I don't show up? [smile]

This is an irrelevant question once one realizes that a perfectly acceptable kydex holster can be had for $20-$30. There's really no reason to have to resort to an IWB holster. As an RO, I really don't like them at USPSA matches.

Cost is irrelevant. Some people like to shoot with what they carry. If it is allowed that's fine, if it isn't that is fine as well. As jar said I'm too much of a gamer to use an IWB but some people aren't. I could probably be faster with a DOH holster in production but I use my IDPA approved holster so I have only one holster to learn. (for the record: I'm an IDPA SO and USPSA RO)

Cost is irrelevant. Some people like to shoot with what they carry. If it is allowed that's fine, if it isn't that is fine as well. As jar said I'm too much of a gamer to use an IWB but some people aren't. I could probably be faster with a DOH holster in production but I use my IDPA approved holster so I have only one holster to learn. (for the record: I'm an IDPA SO and USPSA RO)
If you're all about shoot-what-you-carry, then IDPA is the game. The other sports don't make any pretense about being 'tactical' and 'real world'.

Folks, let's let the holster issue go. Their match, their rules, and it is going to be an awesome match. See you all there.

Back
Top Bottom