so now that I'm legally allowed to carry...

It is obvious that many of you don't live in Springfield.
I also carry a 10mm loaded hot in a number of models. I pratice with all these guns and feel comfortable with anyone of them at my side.
S&W 1076
Glock 29
1911 Commander
S&W 610
I also pratice with a 2.5inch S&W 460 ES
No recoil problems

I don't plan on missing. I shoot 10mm a lot and the recoil doesn't bother me. Hell, I shoot more .500 and .460 than anyone I know (or have heard of) and the recoil from those doesn't bother me. Sometimes the 10mm feels like a peashooter.

I need to party with THIS GUY! From what I have read you an chris have some real monster custom .500 loads! I gotta get up to the northern part where you fellows hang and make a shoot and eat/ eat and shoot date. Need more exposure than just my little 9mm. Who said 1mm doesn't make a difference?! [rofl]

I need to party with THIS GUY! From what I have read you an chris have some real monster custom .500 loads! I gotta get up to the northern part where you fellows hang and make a shoot and eat/ eat and shoot date. Need more exposure than just my little 9mm. Who said 1mm doesn't make a difference?! [rofl]

Come to the Pumpkin Shoot.

From what I have read you an chris have some real monster custom .500 loads!

My loads are all Commercial. I don't have the setup to load my own.

However, between Cor-Bon's "Elephant Loads" and Hornady's 500 grain offerings, we are not talking beginner stuff. Then again, at $4+ a round, I can't afford to shoot as much as EddieCoyle does. My 'plinking' round is a much lighter load that's only $2 a round. (^_^)

But none of these compare to some of the stuff John Ross (of Unintended Consequences fame) shoots. He has some custom cast 510 grain loads developing over 3000 ft lbs of energy.

Once I make myself a place to reload, I intend to play more with this, but for right now, I need to finish the master suite project that's going on 4 years now. (Budgets suck) (^_^)

just like some of the other guys i carry more times than not.i wear my usp 45 wherever i go.my philosify is "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

have to agree

I have to agree with those that carry everywhere. I carry a model
60. I have been in situations where "i wish i had it" never again.

I was not affected by their actions but i could have been a by
product.

If you can you should

JimB

My loads are all Commercial. I don't have the setup to load my own.

However, between Cor-Bon's "Elephant Loads" and Hornady's 500 grain offerings, we are not talking beginner stuff. Then again, at $4+ a round, I can't afford to shoot as much as EddieCoyle does. My 'plinking' round is a much lighter load that's only $2 a round. (^_^)

But none of these compare to some of the stuff John Ross (of Unintended Consequences fame) shoots. He has some custom cast 510 grain loads developing over 3000 ft lbs of energy.

Once I make myself a place to reload, I intend to play more with this, but for right now, I need to finish the master suite project that's going on 4 years now. (Budgets suck) (^_^)

I do experiment quite a bit with both the .500 and .460, and I think I've found the limits (don't ask). I've had severely flattened and pierced (rifle) primers, and my 4" has been back to S&W once for a "rebuild". I'm comfortable with the loads I've developed, and I think I've found the limits. WRT to the .500 and the .460, Clark Magnuson has nothing on me.

Chris, if you try that link you sent me to John Ross's .500 page, I think you'll find that it's gone. Some of the things he recommended, such as "just fill the case with your favorite rifle powder", etc were overly enthusiastic at best, dangerous as hell at worst. I tried to duplicate his 3000 ft/lb loads and was unable to do so safely.

Here's a tiny bit of advice for anyone that wants to try to shoot really powerful revolver loads:

Single load them! If you make it hot enough, there ain't a crimp in the world that a bullet won't jump. Just trust me on this.

My .500 plinking loads cost about $.26 each, other more exotic loads that I make myself can cost over $1.25 each. For a handload, that's huge money - especially when you consider that I'm not counting the cost of brass.

I'm going to bring an assortment of powerful but safe loads to the Pumpkin Shoot. Anybody that is adventurous enough can try what truly are the ultimate in revolver loads.

Edit: If you're interested in the Pumpkin Shoot, you need to become a member. CLICK HERE for details.

Last edited:
In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I see no need to carry a firearms at any time. We have the Government to protect us at all times and such a low crime rate, there is no need to carry at all.

When I am Governor, I will do all in my power to make sure the people of this state will not be carrying firearms. When that happens, we will have full control and the subjects, UM, I mean Citizens, will be easier to control.

Please, give up on the idea that you need to carry. Don't waste money on guns or ammunition or training and send all that free cash to my campaign headquarters. You will not be sorry.

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

I am now orange can I go to the pumkin shoot now?
When and where?
I have also worked up some stout loads for my 460es 2 3/4 in. barrel gun. The short barrel is a kick to shoot.
I have hot loads in 460 mag and 454 Casull.

Even though I reload those bullets are getting expensive.

Jim,

I'll take you up on your generous offer. I've shot a 4" S&W 500 with factory loads before, and found it to be about the same perceived recoil as my .44 Mag SBH.

I'll bring along the Snubbie from Hell™ (S&W 360PD) with some Remington hunting .357 Mag rounds to see which hurts more... [smile]

I'm going to bring an assortment of powerful but safe loads to the Pumpkin Shoot. Anybody that is adventurous enough can try what truly are the ultimate in revolver loads.

I'm comfortable with the loads I've developed, and I think I've found the limits. WRT to the .500 and the .460, Clark Magnuson has nothing on me.

Jim, did you have one of those handgun rests, and a long piece of
string going to the trigger? [laugh]

-Mike

Just got my carry permit from the Nashua PD today.

The damned thing isn't very wallet friendly though....

Hah yeah our NH carry permits are pretty absurd. Is your printed on what amounts to carbon copy onion paper? Ive heard some laminate a copy, but that theres no real text stating that you can or can't do that. This thing will NOT survive a trip through the wash, thats for sure!

Hah yeah our NH carry permits are pretty absurd. Is your printed on what amounts to carbon copy onion paper? Ive heard some laminate a copy, but that theres no real text stating that you can or can't do that. This thing will NOT survive a trip through the wash, thats for sure!

Why do you look for a law on whether or not you can laminate it?

Do you think you live in MA or something? [rolleyes] [laugh2]

Jim, did you have one of those handgun rests, and a long piece of
string going to the trigger? [laugh]

I don't think they make a rest that will hold it. I once talked to someone from the company that makes the Ransom Rest and he told me that I'd destroy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah...that's the one. At first I thought she was giving me my receipt for the $10. Nope...it's my license.

I didn't know the Resident permit in NH were different then the Non-res, Non-res are "credit card" style. Am I missing something here (state police vs. local?).[hmmm]

I carry whenever I leave my house unless prohibited.

I can't recommend highly enough that you get some SD training. I've carried for years and when I took the NE Shooters defensive pistol course in Mansfield, I realized how much I was doing wrong and how much I could do better.

Maybe this is one of those questions for the 2 secret service robbed at gunpoint at the gas station in Manchester a couple of days ago. Manchester used to be a great little town.

In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I see no need to carry a firearms at any time. We have the Government to protect us at all times and such a low crime rate, there is no need to carry at all.

When I am Governor, I will do all in my power to make sure the people of this state will not be carrying firearms. When that happens, we will have full control and the subjects, UM, I mean Citizens, will be easier to control.

Please, give up on the idea that you need to carry. Don't waste money on guns or ammunition or training and send all that free cash to my campaign headquarters. You will not be sorry.

With government that will go to such effort to contro... I meant protect us, I'm glad I live in Massachusetts*

* sarcasm [laugh2]

I didn't know the Resident permit in NH were different then the Non-res, Non-res are "credit card" style. Am I missing something here (state police vs. local?).

Resident permits are approximately 5" X 8". I reduce mine on a copy machine and laminate it.

The only time I don't carry A gun is when I'm carrying more than one. The first thing I do every morning immediately after dressing is to take my gun, (S&W J frame de jour, I have several as well as a Colt Cobra), out of my lock box and place it on my person where I carry it (don't ask, I won't tell you). The last thing I do before I put out the lights at night is to place the gun in a lock box next to my bed. Call me paranoid, but even paranoids have real enemies.

Back
Top Bottom