so now that I'm legally allowed to carry...

Why, what, where and when do you guys carry?

Personally, I can't really think of a time I feel the need to do so. About the only time I can think of is I like to do a lot of photography and Lowell can be a good place for it.

Also, I got the M&P9 but I think I'd feel a bit more comfortable carrying a 1911 because of the safety.

before I got my ALP LTC, I thought I would carry like John Wayne (everywhere I go). now I have it and a G19, I think I only carried from the range to my house... I have really no need to carry. till a zombie attack.

If I could predict when and where I would need a gun, I simply would not go to that place. Since I don't have that ability, I carry a 1911sc everywhere.

If I thought that I'd need a gun if I went to a certain place . . . I just wouldn't go there!

You can't predict the unpredictable. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time can cause a world of hurt and "I wish I had . . . thoughts by you or your next of kin."

I think with some creative searching in the General Discussion forum, you are likely to find a number of threads that may give you some thoughts on the areas you raise for discussion. Use Advanced Search and you must use more than 4 characters or the search mechanism won't work.

Someone posted here while ago along the lines of:

" I only carry when I am in places where I might be surprised that I wanted a gun there ... church , bed , everywhere ..."

Come to think of it. About the only time I am not carrying is at the range , when I step behind the yellow line.

Have you ever seen something awsome and said to yourself....I wish I had my camera on me. It happens alot if you are into photography. You continue on with your day. Hopefully you never have to, but if you ever are in a sticky situation you don't want to be saying I wish I had my CCW.

Bad things don't just happen in bad places,bad things can happen anywhere, anytime.I try to have my weapon with me at all times.Sometimes my friends ask me why I would need to carry a gun in Mansfield.Chances are pretty slim that I would need it but you cant predict the future.

If I thought that I'd need a gun if I went to a certain place . . . I just wouldn't go there!

Focus on this very sage observation.

A license to carry is not a license to strut confidently in places where (a) before being licensed you wouldn't have dared to go and (b) smart people don't go (armed or otherwise).

To the contrary, being armed places, if anything, additional restrictions on your mobility. Say you're armed and walking down the street, and a block and a half ahead you see a questionable group of kids. Unarmed, you can (if you want to) keep on walking and take the risk. Armed, you have to do whatever you can to avoid a confrontation.

Being armed is a bit like carrying a spare tire: no reason to go out looking for flats.

A lot of good points are made here already.I carry EVERYWHERE unless restricted for some reason.I don't allow myself to drink much anymore unless I'm home watching a game or something.I will limit it to a(1)beer.
You can't chose the time where/when you will need your gun.If your'e going to leave it home just to "run to the store"...what good is it?Might as well not have it at all.It's better to have it and not need it then the other way around.[smile]

Thanks everyone. You've all made good points.

I'll have to put some real thought into this.

My 642CT is with me everywhere I go. It's like carrying a wallet for me now....The point has already been made, so I reiterate: You cannot predict how, when or where an incident will occur. You can weigh probabilities all you want, but one cannot escape the fact that people are killed in good neighborhoods, well lit places and in their own homes. Violent confrontation is not limited to the ghetto.....

Since the likelihood of being injured or killed by falling objects is several magnitudes greater than being assaulted by a criminal, in addition to carrying, I wear a large white helmet wherever I go. 24/7, very stylish.

It's best to have it with you at all times. You will not get a warning ahead of time that you need it and should bring it with you.

Try to think of it as being like carrying a cell phone. It's there if you need it and it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have an SW99 compact. It has no safety, just a decocker. I do not like the idea of "safeties." I am the safety and I always remember that at all times.

+1 to Jim. To holster my 915, the decocker goes down to drop the hammer, then immediately goes up to make the pistol ready to fire. Then I holster. That lever never gets used as a safety.

...Sometimes my friends ask me why I would need to carry a gun in Mansfield.Chances are pretty slim that I would need it but you cant predict the future.

In Mansfield? Are you kidding? That would be the first place I'd carry. [smile][wink]

Why, what, where and when do you guys carry?

I carry everywhere I'm allowed to carry and some places where I'm not (concealed means concealed).

I carry as much gun as I can conceal, usually a 10mm loaded hot.

Here's why I carry a cannon:

If I'm forced to use my gun it will be because I am in grave danger, meaning that I'm facing someone that is armed, or unarmed but still capable of beating me to death. If this is the case, I want to make sure I'm carrying something that gives me the highest likelihood of dropping someone as quickly as possible, hopefully with a single shot.

Before anyone posts it, here's my answer to the "Better-a-hit-with-a-.22-than-a-miss-with-a-10 mm" nonsense:

I don't plan on missing. I shoot 10mm a lot and the recoil doesn't bother me. Hell, I shoot more .500 and .460 than anyone I know (or have heard of) and the recoil from those doesn't bother me. Sometimes the 10mm feels like a peashooter.

I carry whenever I legally can... unfortunately that's only about
30% of the time (nights and weekends) because of where I work...
the state thinks it's a "school". That being said, there's an HK
P2000 in the front pocket of my bathrobe, right now.

The main thing to think about is, what would I do on the off chance
that I need it and -don't- have it- It's just as important if not
more than what you would do if you have a gun. What len
said about "if you think you -need- a gun don't go there" is pretty
useful advice.

I can agree that at times it might feel like "overkill" but as time
goes on, it doesn't take much to see how a lot of places could
turn into a shitstorm in a hurry. It takes a little getting used
to; but once you have been doing it for awhile, it's second nature,
no different than carrying a cellphone, or any other piece of gear
we tote around all the time.

One other thing is, if you ever find yourself NOT carrying because
it's too much of a pain in the ass (concealment, weight, etc) then
get something smaller/lighter. Remember that any gun is
better than no gun. A lightweight .38 j-frame will beat the 40
ounce 1911 you locked in the safe at home.

Another thing to do... when you're out and about, casually
people-watch. I know it sounds paranoid, but eventually you
just start doing it without thinking about it. You start to notice
things you didn't see before, etc. Granted, most of the people
you see will not be dangerous, but it is very weird how all of a
sudden your senses will perk up when you detect people who
are even marginally dangerous. And I know it sounds mentally
laborious, too, but it's really not. Awareness is not necessarily
paranoia. If you think about it hard enough, by itself awareness
is probably a #1 survival tool.

-Mike

Paul - make sure no matter what you carry that you carry it consistently and train with it regularly. I carried a 1911 in one form or another for 20-years. My first was a full sized USGI 1911 - may last was a ParaOrdinance Carry 6.45. I now carry a Smith and Wesson J-Frame full time, though if I buy an M&P .45, I may experiment with full time carry in the colder months, (more clothing options). However, my 642CT has been a joy to carry. The transition from auto to wheel gun took a bit of practice, but I have in the 642CT a gun that I can carry full time - anywhere, any clothing option. Just slip it in a Mika pocket holster and drop it in my front pocket. I'd challenge anyone to be able to visually tell it's there.

The point is, carry what feels good to you and train with your draw and point shooting like it's an obsession. Fumbling for your gun through your shirt, jacket, whatever and slowly trying to aquire your target will get you killed. I can't recommend taking a packing class and reading about and training with point shooting enough. And like EddieCoyle and his 10mm, carry as much gun as you can handle and use proficiently.

I don't allow myself to drink much anymore unless I'm home watching a game or something. I will limit it to a(1)beer.
I never did understand the attraction of drinking so much that you're impaired...
Here's why I carry a cannon:

If I'm forced to use my gun it will be because I am in grave danger, meaning that I'm facing someone that is armed, or unarmed but still capable of beating me to death. If this is the case, I want to make sure I'm carrying something that gives me the highest likelihood of dropping someone as quickly as possible, hopefully with a single shot.
Which is why I'm seriously considering selling my Kahr K9 and picking up a Para Concealed Carry - I just LIKE the thought of having a .45 that's maybe 1/2" taller than a 9mm... and I'll gladly give up that one extra round.
Paul - make sure no matter what you carry that you carry it consistently and train with it regularly. I carried a 1911 in one form or another for 20-years. My first was a full sized USGI 1911 - may last was a ParaOrdinance Carry 6.45. I now carry a Smith and Wesson J-Frame full time
Mark, I know it's a thread-hijack, but why did you stop carrying the Para? I was drooling over one at Blue Northern yesterday, and I'm seriously considering selling a couple of guns to buy that one.

Mark, I know it's a thread-hijack, but why did you stop carrying the Para? I was drooling over one at Blue Northern yesterday, and I'm seriously considering selling a couple of guns to buy that one.

I LOVE my ParaCarry. I have been contemplating selling it to fund other projects, but just can't seem to let go of it - may take some therapy. The reason I stopped carrying it was two fold. First, I bought the 642CT initially for my better half, (whom I've been trying to get to be more focused on self defense). That mission failed, so I took the 642CT as my own and haven't looked back. Second, I wanted to be able to carry a gun full-time, (including my job). I was just not able to accomplish this in a mode I was comfortable with, (or proficient with), with my ParaCarry. With the 642, I just drop it in my pocket and I'm gone...I got so used to carrying it, that I'm not only more comfortable carrying it, but more apt to as well. The Para now feels like a brick compared to the Airweight, so it just sits. I'll bring it to the next NES Members Shoot and you can shoot it until your heart is content - you'll love it. I do.

Thanks, Mark.

I do have a 637 that I pocket-carry sometimes - I need to get the hammer bobbed before I'll be REALLY comfortable with it - but I just LIKE a .45.

Thanks everyone. You've all made good points.

I'll have to put some real thought into this.

You might consider getting some training too. Personally, I wont carry until I take at least 1 more defensive handgun course and I understand what I am capable of in a low to medium pressure situation. My personal choice is to be without than to potentially do something stupid with one.

Just because you are legally able to carry doesn't necessarily mean you should.

My opinions, of course [grin].

More good thoughts everyone. Thanks.

In an ironic way, what I'm hearing is carrying is a slight hinderance to personal freedom which is, no doubt, a result of certain laws we have. As Slim said, just because I can doesn't mean I should though a carry course sounds like a very good idea.

As I said, it's a lot to think about and I will.

In an ironic way, what I'm hearing is carrying is a slight hinderance to personal freedom which is, no doubt, a result of certain laws we have.

I'm in a similar place, waiting on my LTC and considering carry. I don't think it's so much a slight hindrance to freedom as a large increase in responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom