• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snow clearing

They are VERY expensive to run. I interviewed for a job where the house had 9 boilers that were needed if the heated walkways were on.
I bet they are. But aren't their geothermal types as well? Probably a good chunk upfront to dig down but then you're just basically operating a pump.
I used to run by a house that had a heated driveway (no idea what kind) and it was always perfectly clear. Now, I have no idea if something like this storm and temp "overworks" the system but every snow storm I ever saw the driveway was perfectly black (just wet).

A winter or two ago, I thought of a great system to use geothermal AND solar to help those troubled spots in the roads. Near me we have a mostly-shaded difficult corner that is prone to SERIOUS icing issues. Not only does it get potentially icy, the road gets torn up by frost heaves.

I had a theory that you could install a pumping system and fluid that would run in a grid under the road down a few hundred feet. Solar would run the circulating pumps. Help keep the road above freezing and avoid the slipperiness and frost heaving.

I should call Shark Tank. LOL

Yes - you are out on a limb.
I've got two large 4x4s with good tires, but I make it a point not to get them high centered in snow.
Go back and read the posts where people talk about having mid size to small cars.
Then read post #45.
It is very easy to high center a car with low ground clearance.

I only responded that I don't shovel my driveway and haven't had a problem. There was no claim of magical cars or supreme snow driving skills. I simply expressed that *I* haven't had the problem you mentioned. I do have decent (not magical) tires and I'm comfortable driving in snow. Chances are you get more snow there than in my area but for whatever reason, I haven't gotten stuck in my driveway with these practices and the current crop of vehicles.

I'm not going to start shoveling my driveway just because you think I ought to. Perhaps if I ever get around to putting a plow on the truck I'll plow it, but it hasn't been necessary so far. YMMV

ETA, I just re-read my comment and it does read more general than I intended. So fine, *I* haven't had an issue. Combination of locale, drive-train, decent tires and reasonable driving skills conquers a lot.

The only reason I run the blower at all is because of the plow mound. Most of the storms we get are so weak the snow burns off between storms anyways with typical fake winter conditions. they're already calling for 40F this week...

I'm skeptical of those who say they don't remove snow from their driveway because they have "this or that vehicle".
Once the snow gets deep enough and compacts higher than your ground clearance, any conventional wheeled vehicle will get stuck.

Most MA storms are garbage and real accumulation is minimal. We had one year (2015) where not clearing at all would have caused you big problems..... Move up another 30+ miles into nh, whole different ballgame, though.

Flame Thrower !

I haven't gotten around to trying that yet.
Okay...so it's not really a flame thrower.
But I bought one of those pseudo flame throwers that attaches to a propane tank a few years back.
My BIL used to use one to melt ice, before he moved to free(er) America, and it looked like fun, so I bought one.
Still haven't tried it though.

Barry

Well for me I was in Billerica Plowing Rt3 from Concord Rd to the Lowell Connector and back, driving an all wheel drive Autocar with 10ft reversible plow from 9:30 PM Saturday until 6:00 PM Sunday. I came home to Swanzey NH on Monday morning and used the Mahindra with pusher to clear driveway and yard (675 ft. Drive way) and area around barn and paddock. We have here The Mahindra, a John Deere Lawn tractor with 42inch snow blower and My F350 with 8ft. Fisher. So we have plenty of snow fighting gear here.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical of those who say they don't remove snow from their driveway because they have "this or that vehicle".
Once the snow gets deep enough and compacts higher than your ground clearance, any conventional wheeled vehicle will get stuck.
We didn't get that much snow and tomorrow it'll be in the 50s so we'll all be fine. I did minimal shoveling and left the rest for my lazy upstairs neighbors.

If you're going to drive in more than 8" of wet-ish packed snow, you probably should have a vehicle with more than 8" of ground clearance. LOL. Some of you guys live in some snowy areas. Yikes!

That new electric truck might be interesting in difficult snow. Rivian RT1 or something. Each wheel has it's own motor. HUGE ground clearance. Even weight distribution. Not that I'm going to spend $75K on an electric truck with barely a bed on it.

I drove a Miata through five winter's without issue. SUVs are nice, I love our Jeep, but they're not necessary in eastern MA just to get around.

I'm going out on a limb and guess that you don't actually have a large 4x4 vehicle with decent tires.

Your theory might hold true in some parts of the world but not around here.
That can definately be true - since your profile doesn't say where "around here" is.

If it's really bad out, we take the Subaru not the Tahoe. No comparison. My neighbor's plow truck, with a sander and a ton of san in the back - he's not too worried about getting stuck.

That can definately be true - since your profile doesn't say where "around here" is.

If it's really bad out, we take the Subaru not the Tahoe. No comparison. My neighbor's plow truck, with a sander and a ton of san in the back - he's not too worried about getting stuck.

Yes it does. I live (so to speak) in the People's Republic of Eastern Massachusetts.

What is the going rate for residential snow plowing in the eastern DPRM?
I’m not a good guy to ask due to my unique position however if I’m away and a storm blows thru (very rarely does that happen) I pay my landscaper an average of 250. That’s for about 2000 feet for 6” but it’s a very simple in and out. It rises fast for larger storms. Sanding runs an average of 300 depending on how much salt is in the mix.

Moving TO Dorchester. Wow. I never thought I'd see the day. I can still smell the DD's in Neponset Circle circa 1977.

Moving TO Dorchester. Wow. I never thought I'd see the day. I can still smell the DD's in Neponset Circle circa 1977.
People are paying over $1 million for single family houses in Dot.

The triple decker next to ours in Southie just sold for $1.1 million. Without parking.

Risking not shoveling the few inches of snow on your driveway is one thing, but you still need to clear the snow plowed from the street that is piled at the end of your driveway, in order to get in and out.

I would always shovel or snowblow my driveway and walks in MA. I don't trust that "It'll just melt in a day or so." That's code for sub-zero degree temps and everything freezing solid & slippery.

BTW I'm enjoying my NO SNOW in coastal North Carolina. None yet this winter. Two snow events last winter totaled 1.5" (and I did just wait for it to melt). I much prefer using my 4x4 on the sandy beaches than snowy roads.

I shoveled.... all 1 inch of the snow we got here lol. And then the rain washed away what was left. I ruined a perfectly good broom :D. I don't want to jinx anything, but I really am loving this global warming thing. I can get used to this. 50 degress in late January? Keep burning that coal.

As for the truck of choice, i won't get into that.

Boston is up to a whopping 16” of snow - this season.

6-12 forecast tomorrow night. Looks like the kids will finally get a snow day!

Back
Top Bottom