• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snow clearing

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
I don't do any. My house is a ranch type. The kitchen connects to the breezeway which connects to the garage. In the garage sits the Colorado ZZ1. I open the garage door, warm up the truck and leave. No problem. Jack.

Me neither. I'm in Florida watching the NStar outage map, keeping my fingers crossed.

Absolutely love having a flat driveway for the first time in my life. A few passes with the ATV Plow setup and it's good to go. The truck idea works too but it's gonna get damn cold in the next few days and once it all freezes it's gonna be a mess.

We bought an Ariens SHO a couple of years ago.
I still hate snow removal, but the new machine makes it a little easier.
I'm kind of OCD about doing a thorough job on the driveway.
And I do the sidewalk down to the neighbor's driveways on each side.
The wife sweeps off the vehicles, and does any shoveling of areas that I can't get with the Ariens.
I'd rather do all of the snowblowing than a little bit of shoveling!

Barry

I’m really happy with the flat driveway & snowblower combo I have going. My X5 would be fine, but my wife’s Corolla probably wouldn’t get out of the garage with the amount we got.

Absolutely love having a flat driveway for the first time in my life. A few passes with the ATV Plow setup and it's good to go. The truck idea works too but it's gonna get damn cold in the next few days and once it all freezes it's gonna be a mess.
It is amazing what these ATV's can move. I use a Foreman 500 that has many times cleared out our 800' driveway. It takes more time than a plow truck, but so be it.

I've got a 400' driveway with a slight incline right in front of the garage that I plow.
I also plow in front of the chicken coop, wood sheds and barn.
I plow all the way around the house in case we need to escape a fire; I don't want the wife and kids to have to jump out a window or climb down the ladder into several feet of snow and then "post hole" to the barn (where there's extras clothes and blankets).
All-in-all, I plow about 1000' feet around the property.
I tried doing the barn, coop and woodsheds with a snowblower, but it's just easier in the plow truck.

It is amazing what these ATV's can move. I use a Foreman 500 that has many times cleared out our 800' driveway. It takes more time than a plow truck, but so be it.

yeah, i'm really happy with it. i have a 75 yard straight one and its so much faster and easier than the blower.

Wife and I were out at 7:30 this morning, glad we did. Rain has stopped and the wind is really picking up now. The hard freeze is underway.

I love watching OCD people clear their driveway, it's hilarious.
Then mother nature messes with them and drops another 1/2 of snow and/or slush.

We both have 4wd, so there are times where we're busy and I don't clear it until late at night when I get home.
This storm on a Sunday morn however I had plenty of time to prep, gas up, charge up, and get to it this morning.

Played with the snowblower for a while, cleared a path to the oil fill and the propane fill, did the mailbox and cleared
most of the hawt UMass chicks that live next door.

Even after charging the Jeep last night, battery was still weak/dead. 5 years WMT yellow, it's time for a new one.

Took the new-to-me snowmobile out for a spin, that was hoot, never really been/very little snowmobile experience. TOTALLY different from ATVing. You float across the snow.....much less control....and the 2 stroke snowmobile would blow the doors of the 4 stroke EFI quad no problem......I was doing close to 70 in the fields...yahooo!

I'd just leave it too. I drive a 4x4 truck and Mrs. Mountain drives a Jeep Rubicon. However, at least one of the drivers for my heating oil supplier is a pansy and won't pull into the driveway if it looks like crap because I didn't clear it. No, I'm not changing suppliers. It could also become an icy mess if the weather bounces around like it has lately. Lastly, God forbid we ever need any emergency services but that would suck for the responders if I didn't clear the foot of crap on the drive and walkway. I'm not close to the street.

I'm waiting until the storm is completely over before I do any snow clearing.
I'd rather have the frozen rain/sleet on top of the snow than directly on the ground or my vehicles.
It's much easier to clear when you can get under it with the shovel or snowblower.

Got a crust about 5" thick with another 4-5 of powder under it. The blower did its job. Shoveling the deck sucked.

Yeah, the deck definitely sucked. Plow guy did the driveway but still plenty of slush that has frozen over. It’s a skating rink but it’s flat and both cars are AWD and there’s nothing really to worry about hitting. As long as Madame takes it slowly into the garage we’ll be fine.

I have awd, but its for nothing with the high performance allseasons i have on. My winter wheels have old blizzaks with none of the ice sticking tread left on them, so i didnt bother to swap them this year. Didnt make the budget priority list. Oops.

I don't do any. My house is a ranch type. The kitchen connects to the breezeway which connects to the garage. In the garage sits the Colorado ZZ1. I open the garage door, warm up the truck and leave. No problem. Jack.
Cute story.

Mount Sunapee averages 120” of snow per season. Last year was 150”. You’d try that stunt in November and the truck would reappear first week of April. There are many places in New England that get more.

There is nothing special about Chevy’s AWD system. Their 1500’s don’t have a locking center differential. We’ve gotten our Tahoe stuck in an area we drove the Suburu through twice.

Cute story.

Mount Sunapee averages 120” of snow per season. Last year was 150”. You’d try that stunt in November and the truck would reappear first week of April. There are many places in New England that get more.

There is nothing special about Chevy’s AWD system. Their 1500’s don’t have a locking center differential. We’ve gotten our Tahoe stuck in an area we drove the Suburu through twice.

Same here. In north central, most winters are at least 70-80 inches of snow.

I have a 400 foot drive that I plow, I plow the backyard and around the garage as well if ground is frozen. I dont like to be snowbound in 3-4 feet of snow all winter.

Not to mention if I want UPS, Fedex,Oil and visitors I need to plow. We both have AWD but it would get way to deep and frozen.

Todays storm was luckily a big miss...4 inches of snow with 1-2 inches of sleet on top. We were supposed to get 18” at one point.No slush. Temps never got above 25all day.

Just glad we didnt get ice that stuck to trees and lines.

Back
Top Bottom