Snow clearing

Todays storm was luckily a big miss...4 inches of snow with 1-2 inches of sleet on top. We were supposed to get 18” at one point. No slush.

I finally went out to clear off my driveway and car after the Pats game was over.
We got about 6" here in the Nashua area, but didn't get much sleet on top, just enough to form a hard crust. It was light and fluffy underneath so it wasn't heavy or tough to move.
I did it all with the snowblower and shovel, didn't even bother firing up the ATV with the plow.

I do a little of everything for snow removal. I shovel the front walk and stairs, as well as the back deck. I snow blow the patio, as well as paths from the wood shed to the house, and a few walking paths in the yard.

Then I plow the driveway. The asphalt is about as smooth as the surface of the moon, so snow blowing it is HELL.

My truck and the wife's Jeep will go through the snow without any problems but she makes me plow the driveway because her sister doesn't have 4 wheel drive. It wouldn't matter if she did because Stevie Wonder is probably a better driver.
are we married to the same woman? Though, thankfully my SIL has never been to my house.

I'm ready for the snow! Send it!

ripsaw-ev3-f4-4-seater-ripsaw-ev2-price-cost-sherp-cost-luxury-super-tank-sherp-off-road-4x4-tank-army-for-sale_1_orig.jpg

Also = steady customers for those of us in the towing and repair business.

Dodge + Lesbaru. The Dodge was towed once after it caught fire on Rt 2 but other than that all the breakdowns have been mild enough to reach home under their own steam. Although the time the brakes went out completely was an eye opening drive.

Lol. Some of you don’t clear your driveways at all? Let me know how that works out when you have need of an ambulance or have to leave the house in a hurry because of an emergency.

I had people over for the game last night so I had my driveway cleared. Kept putting down salt but I have to get the crappy kind that’s dog safe and it didn’t do a great job melting in this freeze (any better suggestions?). I went back out around 3:30 to clear the deck and my wife’s car and a half hour later to put out the trash and my area was already starting the flash freeze.

Lol. Some of you don’t clear your driveways at all? Let me know how that works out when you have need of an ambulance or have to leave the house in a hurry because of an emergency.

I had people over for the game last night so I had my driveway cleared. Kept putting down salt but I have to get the crappy kind that’s dog safe and it didn’t do a great job melting in this freeze (any better suggestions?). I went back out around 3:30 to clear the deck and my wife’s car and a half hour later to put out the trash and my area was already starting the flash freeze.

Two 4x4 and one AWD vehicle. If I need to go someplace, I'll be going.

I spent most of my morning clearing snow off the Jeep itself - don't want to be that douchebag on the road that has snow and ice flying off his roof and hitting other cars. The driveway itself was shoveled for maybe 15min - that's all the Jeep needed. Dingbat neighbor who's never picked up a shovel in his life had a really hard time getting out this morning - I laughed as I sipped my coffee.

I shovel off around the vehicles every storm. We have a plow service for the condos and hes always fine if I just shove all the snow behind our vehicles so he can grab it with a pass.

If we don't, it seems to turn to ice in a day or so and then it's just a hazard for people for months.

Atomic.
Pet safe and melts to -25
Plus they die it BLUE so people can see it.
This is what us commercial lot owners use.
You have to find a good local supply store.
$15 a 50 lb bag is cheaper than all the junk Home Depot sells.
Atomic-Ice-Melt-with-Calcium-Magnesium-Acetate-Melts-to-25°F-50LB-Bags.jpg

Two 4x4 and one AWD vehicle. If I need to go someplace, I'll be going.
Do tell! What kind? Most 1/2 tons don’t have a center locking differential, and the OEM tires blow. Even with winter tires our Tahoe got stuck in the driveway and zi had to pull it out with the tractor. The Subaru went through the same area no problem. We bought chains for the rear to make sure we can get up the driveway.

Many AWD vehicles should be called “AWD.” Most of them can’t transfer enough torque to the rear wheels to back up an icy hill or if the fronts get stuck. Only a few Subarus have LSD on the front, so if you High Center one so one front wheel is in the air, the VDC will try but you probably aren’t getting out.

Like this. The WRX has 6.5” of ground clearance. Driving downhill on an unplowed road with heavy, wet snow, so much packed under the front wheels they were off the ground. We had to jack up the car, shovel the snow out from underneath, then put it back on the ground. We were then able to back up the hill to a plowed road.
i-Wrjv6Mn-XL.jpg

Outbacks and most crossovers have around 8”, pickups 10-11”. I spent hundreds of miles doing Jeep patrols on trails along the East West German border (M151A1) and they got stuck all the time. Sometimes we pushed, sometimes we used another Jeep, and sometimes we had to direct an M113 (tracked APC) that would yank them out with little effort. Those military tires were not the hot setup on ice.

Studded Ofa H pattern logging chains on the back, studded diamond chains on the front.
F88A08F6-7E2D-41BE-958B-7E80D8DC17D0.jpg

Temp just peaked at 16 and it's heading down. I'll have to put my head in the freezer to warm up
Tough day to have a Port-A-John at work

Do tell! What kind? Most 1/2 tons don’t have a center locking differential, and the OEM tires blow. Even with winter tires our Tahoe got stuck in the driveway and zi had to pull it out with the tractor. The Subaru went through the same area no problem. We bought chains for the rear to make sure we can get up the driveway.

Many AWD vehicles should be called “AWD.” Most of them can’t transfer enough torque to the rear wheels to back up an icy hill or if the fronts get stuck. Only a few Subarus have LSD on the front, so if you High Center one so one front wheel is in the air, the VDC will try but you probably aren’t getting out.

Like this. The WRX has 6.5” of ground clearance. Driving downhill on an unplowed road with heavy, wet snow, so much packed under the front wheels they were off the ground. We had to jack up the car, shovel the snow out from underneath, then put it back on the ground. We were then able to back up the hill to a plowed road.
i-Wrjv6Mn-XL.jpg

Outbacks and most crossovers have around 8”, pickups 10-11”. I spent hundreds of miles doing Jeep patrols on trails along the East West German border (M151A1) and they got stuck all the time. Sometimes we pushed, sometimes we used another Jeep, and sometimes we had to direct an M113 (tracked APC) that would yank them out with little effort. Those military tires were not the hot setup on ice.

Studded Ofa H pattern logging chains on the back, studded diamond chains on the front.

A 3/4 Ram, Durango and a Legacy Wagon. None of them have ever gotten stuck. Well, the Subaru failed to bash through a snow plow pile higher than the car itself, once, but I don't hold that against it! The Ram is truly a beast in snow.

This "storm" is a joke to any of them.

2 stage 9 HP Honda for the 6" early morning clearing then single stage 6 HP Honda for the 2" or so of non-stop sleet/freezing rain/etc... that fell until about 4:00 PM. The single stage is great for clearing right down to the pavement, especially the icy, sticky layer that formed from late morning to late afternoon.

If you live in Boston, now is a good time to dispose of old CRT monitors. Put them out as space savers, and wait for his excellency Marty to declare the DPW will pick up any that are still left in parking spaces.
The Caught In Southie blog has already declared this was not a “Cone worthy” storm.

Two Questions...

1) Where is the Ma-Duece?
2) Does that thing have a belly door for covert egress/ ice fishing?...

ripsaw-ev3-f4-4-seater-ripsaw-ev2-price-cost-sherp-cost-luxury-super-tank-sherp-off-road-4x4-tank-army-for-sale_1_orig.jpg

I'm skeptical of those who say they don't remove snow from their driveway because they have "this or that vehicle".
Once the snow gets deep enough and compacts higher than your ground clearance, any conventional wheeled vehicle will get stuck.

i-Wrjv6Mn-XL.jpg

I lol at your resources. Your gonna do fine for an eastie.

I'm skeptical of those who say they don't remove snow from their driveway because they have "this or that vehicle".
Once the snow gets deep enough and compacts higher than your ground clearance, any conventional wheeled vehicle will get stuck.

I'm going out on a limb and guess that you don't actually have a large 4x4 vehicle with decent tires.

Your theory might hold true in some parts of the world but not around here.

I'm going out on a limb and guess that you don't actually have a large 4x4 vehicle with decent tires.

Yes - you are out on a limb.
I've got two large 4x4s with good tires, but I make it a point not to get them high centered in snow.
Go back and read the posts where people talk about having mid size to small cars.
Then read post #45.
It is very easy to high center a car with low ground clearance.

Yes - you are out on a limb.
I've got two large 4x4s with good tires, but I make it a point not to get them high centered in snow.
Go back and read the posts where people talk about having mid size to small cars.
Then read post #45.
It is very easy to high center a car with low ground clearance.
Your right I lso dont understand why people think 4x4 is some sort of a magic concept its traction. Better to have good winter tires then driving around in 4 high , 1/2 trucks are just to light

Anywhere here have a heated driveway? Jealous when I see houses with them, such a great concept.

Drove to the Lake to check on it mid-day Sunday. Turned on the sump pump to be safe. Several neighbors off-lake on the feeder road have VERY hilly driveways. . . and had not cleared the inch of slush off of them. Temps were already down to 33 at that point. No idea if they had cleared anything after. Football was on os that seemed to be a priority. Until they had to back down those driveways on Monday and today.

Back
Top Bottom