• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

smallest caliber you feel comfortable carrying?

comfortable carry round

• Total voters
I voted for 32. In summer months, if I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt, that's what I'll have on me. I'm definitely of the opinion that if it doesn't stop them completely, getting hit with a .32 will certainly make them rethink things a bit. That being said, my glock 27 gets more hip time when attire allows.

I voted for .380 even though I carry either a 9mm or a .45ACP. I've heard a lot of talk lately about how the newer .380 defense rounds have very similar ballistics to the 9mm and I don't doubt it can be achieved. Tom Gresham always talked about how he would never carry anything less than a .45ACP, understood why people carry 9mm, but would never recommend a .380. A few months back he changed his opinion after reading test results on newer .380 defensive rounds and said it's right on par with 9mm these days. I'm assuming he's not talking about 9mm +P or +P+ though.

I voted for .380 even though I carry either a 9mm or a .45ACP. I've heard a lot of talk lately about how the newer .380 defense rounds have very similar ballistics to the 9mm and I don't doubt it can be achieved. Tom Gresham always talked about how he would never carry anything less than a .45ACP, understood why people carry 9mm, but would never recommend a .380. A few months back he changed his opinion after reading test results on newer .380 defensive rounds and said it's right on par with 9mm these days. I'm assuming he's not talking about 9mm +P or +P+ though.

IMO .380 is just as bad now as it was 10 years ago... which is why if I carry the one I have, I carry it with ball ammo.

I haven't seen any mystical ammo tests where they somehow figured out how to make a .380 JHP penetrate like 10+ inches in balgel and still expand properly, through 4 layers of denim.

9mm and .380 are not in the same league. A small.380 struggles to make 900ish fps with a 95 gr bullet, whereas even a weak 9mm 115 gr load is probably going 1100ish out of even a subcompact handgun.

-Mike

Last edited:
A small.380 struggles to make 900ish fps with a 95 gr bullet, whereas even a weak 9mm 115 gr load is probably going 1100ish out of even a subcompact handgun.

-Mike
Check out the data HERE. Buffalo Bore 90gr JHP hits 1131 fps out of a 3.66" Walther P380 (95 gr FMJ +P hits 1080 fps). It hits 1,000 fps+ out of any barrel over 2" also. It's still not as powerful as a 9mm, but it's a lot more than we used to get out of a .380.

Check out the data HERE. Buffalo Bore 90gr JHP hits 1131 fps out of a 3.66" Walther P380 (95 gr FMJ +P hits 1080 fps). It hits 1,000 fps+ out of any barrel over 2" also. It's still not as powerful as a 9mm, but it's a lot more than we used to get out of a .380.

Well, look at the pocket pistol loads, not the ones on the .380s that nobody carries like the P380 (or if you do carry one of these, my condolences).

Better, but no better than the hand stinging Corbon JHP load that used to be out there. If I take something like a Kahr PM9, and fire a 115 gr 9mm ball round out of it, it'll still be going a lot faster.

-Mike

Shot placement. It always out weighs caliber size in real life situations. Most guns you see confiscated in crimes/murders in the streets you see it's a small caliber. Also the fact that most encounters esp in this state are going to happen within 8 feet shot placement should not be a problem at that distance.
This, as my friend that I shoot with has taught me, and is now my instinct, I aim for throat shots. No body armor and will stop anyone immediately no matter the caliber. Under stress you really do fall back on training. Practice practice practice.

When did 9mm become a less powerful round then .38? Sorry if this was already covered.. did not feel like reading 17 pages to find out...

Primary chambered in 9mm
Secondary (depending on the day) chambered in 9mm
BUG chambered in .38spl (until I can get a 940, a j-frame in 9mm)

Edit: Just noticed... the thread revival... seems that I am getting pretty unintentionally good at that.

I carry 9mm because its the biggest I got. no 40 or 45's yet my wife carries 380 because she needed a smaller frame to fit her hand. 9mm makes it easier to be proficient with your carry gun because its cheaper than 40 and 45

I just picked this one up for my edc, its a desert eagle.50 special edition. guy told me its the replica model.

I voted .38 special but have to say that would only be a +P in JHP.....I carry a 357 and generally carry magnum loads in jhp concealed but while loaded in the cannon safe it is .38 +p JHP.......in case the wife has to use it.....she fired some magnums at teh range and is not a big fan!

Well i like my 9mm but love the .357 and .45 round. all will get the job done but when a well placed shot is not available or you just have enuff time to make a quick shot to the body, i would say imho anything smaller or less powerful then a 9mm is going to lessen the chance of stopping your target instantly, and if there on drugs well they may not even feel a .22,

too each there own, my mother carrys a .22 and i know it would not be good to get hit with it, and i know she would not be comfortable with anything larger

DCP_2784.jpg

( but I carry a 45acp most of the time as back up ... )

I've carried a small 9 mm in a pocket holster and IWB but prefer my 38 spl 632-2 IWB or in a pocket holster. Yiogo

I carry a 9mm and would be comfortable carrying a .22lr. I see alot of people talking about clothing penetration and the expansion but i would try to shoot them in the face/head. :D

I voted for .22 because if that is all I have to carry based on size, I would carry it (any gun is better than no gun, IMO). But if you are asking the smallest caliber I feel comfortable carrying without consideration of size, then I would have said 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom