• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

smallest caliber you feel comfortable carrying?

comfortable carry round

• Total voters
Well This has been discussed over many times I guess.
A local gun dealer and friend once told me..." first rule of a gun fight...Bring a Gun"
If the caliber would limit what you carry, at least bring something . Even a .22LR Derringer is better than
not having that .45 Cal. 1911 stashed in your safe!!

Better yet get the new Bond Arms 410/45 Derringer!!!

http://www.bondarms.com/

Well This has been discussed over many times I guess.
A local gun dealer and friend once told me..." first rule of a gun fight...Bring a Gun"
If the caliber would limit what you carry, at least bring something . Even a .22LR Derringer is better than
not having that .45 Cal. 1911 stashed in your safe!!

Better yet get the new Bond Arms 410/45 Derringer!!!

http://www.bondarms.com/

Boy, I love the choice of calibers! I wish it was mass ok....

MrTwigg has something similar ( maybe the same? ). I got to shoot it at last years monandnock shoot, ouch! A bit unpleasant but very cool!

Last edited:
What is shinola anyway?

Doesn't know shit from Shinola

Meaning
Possessing poor judgment or knowledge.

Origin
Shinola was a brand of shoe polish previously manufactured in the USA. The alliteration and the fact that the two commodities in the phrase could possibly be confused is the derivation. The distinction is well made; only one of them would be good to apply to your shoes and only particularly dim people could be expected to muddle them up. Of course, outside America, most people don't know Shinola from anything at all, as they've never heard of it. Even in America it would probably not be widely remembered but for this phrase.

The 'ola' suffix is popular in the USA as part of trade names, e.g. Crayola, Granola etc. This leads to the pronunciation of Shinola as shine + ola. That spoils the alliteration a little as it would work better as shin + ola.

This phrase is typical of the barrack room vulgarity of WWII, which is where it originated.

Now you know shit from shinola [smile]

After 5pm and on weekends 9mm or 38spl GDHP 135gr +p. 8am to 5pm weekdays .32 GDHP Seecamp, as office dress code cannot conceal anything larger....

I dunno, it depends on how much stock one puts in the whole energy transfer" BS. The bigger difference to me is that 9mm Luger will penetrate a lot farther (and better through intermediate barriers, for example, I would not want to have to shoot a .380 -through- something) and JHPs in 9mm will open far more reliably.

-Mike

Yeah, barriers, like denim, leather, and body fat.

9mm or 357 mag for me.

I voted for the .380 and have a Keltec mentioned a while back. I upgraded from the .32 acp model. The 380 is an outstanding pistol to carry in a pocket, especially in the warm months. That being said, I'd probably feel more comfortable with a 9mm or larger caliber anymore. For the longest time I felt that the .380 would be a good defense caliber and in most situations it might be. However, I watched a video not too long ago showing a badguy in a CQ firefight with two LEOs in a shop. The cops were taking cover behind a display case and the badguy was on the other side with a shotgun. The cops shot the badguy at super close range hitting him numerous times but he kept on shooting his shotgun. Only after he fled did he drop. In that case, my .380 would have been better if I had thrown it at him and hit him square between the eyes. Seems like he was on a mission and getting shot at close range with what I believed were 9mm Glocks didn't seem to slow him down enough to not be able to return fire. That was really a aweful situation. In that case I wonder if a .45 would have been more of a stopping round. An amped-up bad guy shooter would go down if shot in the head but center-mass shots did little to stop him immediately. There was no time for the officers to "aim" as they were ducking for their lives to avoid direct blasts from the shotgun. It made the hair on my neck stand up.

Rome

The question was comfortable carry round
sometimes carry smaller when necessary but the comfort level goes up after .380 !!!

I think that beyond the caliber, it's the hardware needed to hold the caliber that affects what's "comfortable" to carry. I don't know many guys who carry a .45 often during the Summer. At least I haven't seen them or know any. It's just difficult to conceal. During the Summer, I rarely wear much more than shorts and a t-shirt in my shop. Where am I supposed to hide a big hog? If open carry were ok here again, I believe that .40 and .45 would be more prevelant.

Rome

I think that beyond the caliber, it's the hardware needed to hold the caliber that affects what's "comfortable" to carry. I don't know many guys who carry a .45 often during the Summer. At least I haven't seen them or know any. It's just difficult to conceal. During the Summer, I rarely wear much more than shorts and a t-shirt in my shop. Where am I supposed to hide a big hog? If open carry were ok here again, I believe that .40 and .45 would be more prevelant.

Rome

I CC a Glock 22 year round, at 6'0", 210lbs.

Back
Top Bottom