• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

smallest caliber you feel comfortable carrying?

comfortable carry round

• Total voters
This is about the minimum I carry for self defense.

suicide-vest.jpg

You are your own worst enemy!

I carried a .22 for a long time and had no worries. A couple .22 hollow points in anyone will make them think twice. Well unless there on meth but I have seen stories of a .45 not stopping guys on meth.

Shot placement. It always out weighs caliber size in real life situations. Most guns you see confiscated in crimes/murders in the streets you see it's a small caliber. Also the fact that most encounters esp in this state are going to happen within 8 feet shot placement should not be a problem at that distance.

That said .40 EDC for me.

Last edited:
.500 S&W Magnum loaded with 350gn Jacketed Hollow Points...

All kidding aside, I have carried as small as a .32 Auto and didn't worry about its effectiveness. It's not my carry of choice and ammunition choice is extremely important, but there are times that I can't carry anything larger, and it's better than carrying nothing.

I've also carried .380, .38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm and yes, .500 S&W Magnum (though only for open carry hiking in NH)

I've never seen the need for a .22LR or .25 Auto pistol though, and I can't imagin being able to carry one and not being able to carry a .32 Auto.

I carried a .22 for a long time and had no worries. A couple .22 hollow points in anyone will make them think twice. Well unless there on meth but I have seen stories of a .45 not stopping guys on meth.

I don't want to make someone think twice after I put a couple of rounds in them, I want them to go down and stay down. [laugh]
9mm is the smallest I'd be comfortable with.

.38 snubby is as small as I normaly would go, but I have been thinking of going as small as a .32 for a pocket auto for times a holster just doesnt work.

Not even close

The .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) pistol cartridge is a rimless, straight-walled pistol cartridge developed by firearms designer John Browning. The cartridge headspaces on the mouth of the case.[2] It was introduced in 1908 by Colt, and has been a popular self-defense cartridge ever since. Other names for .380 ACP include .380 Auto, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, and 9x17mm. It is not to be confused with .38 ACP

I would say pretty damn close

The .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) pistol cartridge is a rimless, straight-walled pistol cartridge developed by firearms designer John Browning. The cartridge headspaces on the mouth of the case.[2] It was introduced in 1908 by Colt, and has been a popular self-defense cartridge ever since. Other names for .380 ACP include .380 Auto, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, and 9x17mm. It is not to be confused with .38 ACP

Kinda like the S&W .500 and the .50 BMG, pretty close.

huh? you carry 3 different ammo types in a 5 shot revolver? I don't understand what the point of that is. In fact, I don't even understand what the point of carrying 357 magnum in a j-frame revolver is. All you get is a incredible amount of recoil with negligible velocity improvement due to the short barrel. 158gr HPSWC or 135gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel is excellent out of snubby barrels and is very controllable.

The point is not truly knowing what effect either of the 2 38 spl rounds will do to a bad guy,I am sure the 357 round will out perform them.I am fully aware coming out of a 2 inch barrel there is a considerable loss of velocity,it still will be faster than the first 3 out of the gun.

.380 typically uses bullets in the ~90gr area, going about 1000fps. 9x19 is usually 115-150gr, going atleast 1000fps, sometimes upwards of 1400.

Most loadings in 9x19 produce twice the kinetic energy that the equivalent load in .380 produces.

1mm of case length might not seem like a lot, but it is.
This, like comparing a 223 and 22lr and saying they are both 22...

Okie Dokie!!!!

In honor of my usual blunt force trauma approach, I will say this: anyone who thinks .380 ACP and 9x19 are very close/almost the same doesn't know shit from shinola.

That's like saying that .38 Special wadcutters are almost the same as 125 grain .357 Magnums.

Bullshit.

However, feel free to believe so. No skin off my a$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom