• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

smallest caliber you feel comfortable carrying?

comfortable carry round

• Total voters
.40 or .45 for me. I know that shot placement is critical but anyone who thinks they can reliably put a round wherever they want, under any circumstance, is kidding themselves. I practice as much as the next guy but I don't kid myself that if three large, motivated, fit men were to attack me, I could drop them with three well placed head shots.

I like knowing that if my shot is off two inches because they were moving they will stop. A .45 to the shoulder, ribs, leg.... whatever, will do a lot more damage than a .32 in the same spot.

I wish I was confident enough in my own abilities to think that I would never ever miss a head shot on a moving target, but until that time, I am carrying as big a round as I can.

Last edited:
Okie Dokie!!!!

In honor of my usual blunt force trauma approach, I will say this: anyone who thinks .380 ACP and 9x19 are very close/almost the same doesn't know shit from shinola.

That's like saying that .38 Special wadcutters are almost the same as 125 grain .357 Magnums.

Bullshit.

However, feel free to believe so. No skin off my a$$.

What is shinola anyway?

What is shinola anyway?

shinola01061909.jpg

Carbon Self-Defense Ammo: .380 Auto - 90gn bullet 1050fps
Carbon Self-Defense Ammo: 9mm Luger - 125gn bullet 1350fps

.380 Auto has 43% of the energy of the 9mm. They may only be 2mm different in length, but it's a 20% difference in case capacity and a higher allowable chamber pressure.

If you're using quality ammo, the .380 in the center of mass will do the job, but as some have pointed out, it has a lot less margin of error.

the smallest i carry is 9mm but i want a seecamp badly for a backpocket carry and they are only .32. i would feel better with that compared to nothing. we've all heard stories of people get shot multiple times with a heavier round and surviving and then someone taking a .22 round and dying.

Josh,

Take a look at the Kel-Tec PA3T. It's a polymer frame, steel barrel & slide blow-back .380 auto. It's a little bigger than the Seecamp in length and height, but it's narrower (0.75" wide) and extremely light.

It has no manual safety, just a heavy trigger
It is a re-strike capable double action only semi-automatic
The magazine release is at the junction of the group and the trigger guard and accessable from the left side of the gun
It uses integral wide blade in very shallow notch sights milled right into the slide (Some phosphorecent paint really helps in low light)
There are pocket holsters available that make it look like a wallet in the back pocket.

Another alternative would be the NAA Guardian in .32 NAA - a necked down .380 case to handle .32 auto bullet.

does anyone feel inadequate carrying certain calibers?
I know shot placement is whats important, but with all the mouse guns in production in .380, I just don't feel "protected" enough with a small round like that.
Anyone else feel the same?
Despite anecdotal evidence to the contrary, I never liked the .380. It might be just because I liked something that locks mechanically instead of a blowback.

I had a chance to look through a book of gunshot wounds produced by the Army Medical Corps and featuring plenty of Soldiers hit and severely incapacitated by 9mmP, so I have no problem with that.

Honest Injun ? I don't have matching holsters for every gun I own. The most useful holster I have is for my 1911 , so I carry that most of the time. 230 ball.

If I'm on a road trip . I'll wear a shoulder rig - which only fits my Sig228.

If I decide I love the world and go totally unarmed I'll put my 380 Mustang in an ankle holster. - but bring a bigger knife ...

This time of year, .45 acp. But I have yet to find a warm weather carry I'm happy with. I have been playing the "it has to be .xx caliber or I don't feel safe" game for the past few years. More often than not that left my "carry" gun at home in the safe during the warmer months.

More and more I've been believing the old saying " the first rule of a gun fight, is have a gun". Is .22, .32, .380 or even 9mm the best carry round? Nope. But any one of those calibers beats all the .44 magnums and .45acp chambered guns that are sitting at home...

Just put my name on a waiting list for a Bodyguard .380 today. Hopefully it has me carrying all summer long.

drb

Try a G36 in a Don Hume H715M IWB. You'll be amazed at how well it carries in the Summer. I'm 6' and 175 lbs and I have no problem concealing it in the Summer. The G36 is only 6+1 but it's 6 + 1 of .45 ACP.

It's an Oh-90 revolver (2.34mm is basically 0.090" - 1/4" the diameter of a .38 special / 9mm

4.35gn bullet at 400fps?

I'd love to see some testing on bare ballistic gelitin or raw pork with the skin still on (human analog for balistics testing)

Back
Top Bottom