• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

smallest caliber you feel comfortable carrying?

comfortable carry round

• Total voters

Independence Arms

Instructor
does anyone feel inadequate carrying certain calibers?
I know shot placement is whats important, but with all the mouse guns in production in .380, I just don't feel "protected" enough with a small round like that.
Anyone else feel the same?

Keep in mind a .380 is a 9mm, just a little shorter.

.380 typically uses bullets in the ~90gr area, going about 1000fps. 9x19 is usually 115-150gr, going atleast 1000fps, sometimes upwards of 1400.

Most loadings in 9x19 produce twice the kinetic energy that the equivalent load in .380 produces.

2mm of case length might not seem like a lot, but it is.

Last edited:
9mm... I have to trade off between having a large round like a .45 with low cap mags(for the most part) or smaller round like a 9mm with a few more rounds per magazine.

If you feel okay carrying a .380 then go right ahead but you better hope that 300lbs bad guy doesn't kill you while he bleeds out from your entire magazine of little slower moving rounds

I carry my LCP everywhere now and have no worries about the .380. If a 300lb guy was coming at me and it warranted me having it drawn (ie in fear for my life) I would worry at all about him bleeding out, I would be going for the light switch ;)

Although I have had .380 guns and carried them,I always considered them marginal at best.Most of the time I carry my S&W 340PD with a mixture of ammo.My first 2 rounds are 158 gr HPSWC +P,followed by a 125 gr Corbon HP +P in 38 spl,followed by 125 gr Gold Dot .357 Mag.Because of the terrible recoil of 357's in this lightweight gun,I pray the first 3 rounds will take care of the problem.

Although I have had .380 guns and carried them,I always considered them marginal at best.Most of the time I carry my S&W 340PD with a mixture of ammo.My first 2 rounds are 158 gr HPSWC +P,followed by a 125 gr Corbon HP +P in 38 spl,followed by 125 gr Gold Dot .357 Mag.Because of the terrible recoil of 357's in this lightweight gun,I pray the first 3 rounds will take care of the problem.

Have you tried grouping this mixture at target? What were the results? Just curious.

45, 40 and the 50 cal is all i would use if the 40 0r the 45 caliber wont bring down the 300 pound bad guy then he will get a very warm welcome with the 50 call that I do have and rarely do i ever bring that out

huh? you carry 3 different ammo types in a 5 shot revolver? I don't understand what the point of that is. In fact, I don't even understand what the point of carrying 357 magnum in a j-frame revolver is. All you get is a incredible amount of recoil with negligible velocity improvement due to the short barrel. 158gr HPSWC or 135gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel is excellent out of snubby barrels and is very controllable.

This is about the minimum I carry for self defense.

suicide-vest.jpg

For every day carry I use a .32 Seecamp w/Winchester silver tips. It's extremely concealable as is evidenced by the fact that it's never being noticed in a pat down at a sporting event. In most encounters your assailant will be within 20 feet and I can double tap anything at that range.

For other instances (e.g.: carrying large sums of money to an auction) I carry my Glock 33, chambered in .357 sig. The .357 sig is basically a 9mm magnum and has excellent stopping and penetrating power.

Sometimes smaller is better.

LWS32Keys.jpg

In this holster it gives any impression of a wallet in your back pocket.

AkerBlackOpen.jpg

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I usually carry an 88 magnum.

Lol, j/k. I usually carry a Smith 360PD with Speed 135Gr short barrel. They make about 300 ft/lbs.

Back
Top Bottom