• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small 9mm for carry - what to get?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
After shooting my PPK yesterday, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not very happy with it - I can't seem to be accurate with it. I've shot other guns (obviously) that I'm lots more accurate with, so I think it's time to trade it in on something I'll be happier with.

Now... what to get? What I want:
Small - pocket sized.
9MM or above (9mm is LOTS cheaper to practice with than .380, not to mention having more punch)
DA semi-auto - preferably something I can carry safely with hammer down on a loaded chamber. (Wish Para made a Warthog-sized 9mm with the LDA trigger!)

So what does that leave? Oh, and please don't suggest anything made by Taurus - I don't like their triggers; too gritty.

Thanks,
Ross

(oh, and please don't jump on me for blaming the gun and not myself - I realize what I'm doing here. [wink])

My recommendation for a 9mm (that you can get somewhat easily in Mass) is the Glock G26. Small, easy to shoot, carries 10 rounds, accurate. Except it's not really a pocket gun (IMHO). I carry mine IWB.

dwarven1 said:
So what does that leave? Oh, and please don't suggest anything made by Taurus - I don't like their triggers; too gritty.

Thanks,
Ross

(oh, and please don't jump on me for blaming the gun and not myself - I realize what I'm doing here. [wink])

Oh shucks, and I was going to suggest my Taurus PT-111! [wink]

I think it was a gunsmith (was it Greg Derr?) that said that the Taurus trigger could be improved?

Check out a Glock 26, 9mm sub-compact and pre-MA ban means probable 5.5# trigger.

I was wondering about a Glock - just hit their website and found the 26. What about a S&W Sigma? Or a Kahr K9? Any comments on those?

dwarven1 said:
I was wondering about a Glock - just hit their website and found the 26. What about a S&W Sigma? Or a Kahr K9? Any comments on those?

Smith make great 1911s, and amazing revolvers, but the Sigma is a non-starter in my book. As for Kahr K9s, I don't know enough to say.

My vote, surpringly, is with Frosty. If you don't mind a small grip, get the Glock 26. If you need a bit more beef in your shooting hand, go for the Glock 19.

Dwarven1, if you ever want to give a 19 a try, you may shoot mine.

C-X

Stay away from the Sigma I got one to replace my PPK/S and I hate it. Look at the 6906 in the classifieds here, that's a great carry gun in 9mm. That one is a early model because they stopped making square trigger guards for that model about 91. If I bought that one I would just change all the springs.

The 6906 with a alloy frame, 12 round double stack mag and 3.5 barrel is a great pistol I wish they were still making them.

i'd have to agree...either glock 26 or kahr k-9...personally id go with the 26 cuz you can get the +1 finger rest and imho opinion 10 rounds of 9mm in a backup gun is a pretty substantial as opposed to the 7 rounds of .32 i carry in my backup gun

para does make a 9mm warthog

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=49207709

ive never seen one in MA so im gonna assume its not MA compliant...why i dont know because if the .45 warthog is why wouldnt the 9mm be? call around and ask a shop if they can order one for you

Or a Kahr K9
I'm a big fan of Kahrs, but the K9 is too big for a pocket. The MK9 will fit in a pocket and is a thinner than a Glock 26. It's a bit heavy, but I can shoot it much better than my S&W 642.

The Kahr trigger is very smooth, but with a longer travel than a Glock. It doesn't have the patented Glock sproing at the end. My Kahrs (K9, K40, and MK9) have been very reliable. The MK9 is suprisingly accurate for such a small gun. The K9 and MK9 have little felt recoil. In contrast, I find the K40 to be suprisingly unpleasant to shoot.

I'd really like to find a PM9, but they're scarce as hens teeth in MA.

Last edited:
Bloodhound, I'd prefer to have a double-action pistol; the Warthog is single action. Also, I've discovered that a 3" bbl and .45 ACP is a combination that will make me develop a flinch due to the muzzle blast - that's why I traded away my Para P10 (basically a Warthog before they called it that). As to why it might not be on the List, it won't be if Para doesn't send 5 samples that can be destroyed (I mean) tested. MA won't "OK" a gun unless the exact model is tested. [rolleyes]

Bugs100, what ad are you talking about? I tried searching on "6906" but couldn't find it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. You're giving me ideas and things to look at; I appreciate all the advice.

Check out the SW CS9. Great little gun, accurate, reliable, and NO plastic.

The CS9 looks just like the CS45 but is smaller. Here's my CS45:

cs45.jpg

dwarven1 said:
Now... what to get? What I want:
Small - pocket sized.
9MM or above (9mm is LOTS cheaper to practice with than .380, not to mention having more punch)
DA semi-auto - preferably something I can carry safely with hammer down on a loaded chamber. (Wish Para made a Warthog-sized 9mm with the LDA trigger!)

"pocket sized" knocks a lot of guns out of the running. A Kahr PM9 or MK9 would fit although the MK might be a bit heavy for pocket carry. I don't know if one of the baby Glocks fits in a pocket or not. You're more than welcome to try my Kahr K9s: I've got one with each of Kahr trigger styles. They're too big for a pocket but the triggers are the same as their smaller brethren.

Kahrs and Glocks are both available in this state; they're on the AFR but give our AG the willies so you need to find one manufactured pre-10/98.

DR said:
I've got one with each of Kahr trigger styles. They're too big for a pocket but the triggers are the same as their smaller brethren.
I didn't realize that they have two trigger styles. What are they and how do they differ?

SIG 239. You can get these with the DAK trigger if you want DAO. Pleasant to shoot in 9mm or .40. (If you get the .40 I think you can swap in a 357Sig if you want yet more punch).

From Four Season's used gun page:
Sig Arms P239M .40S&W SA495xxx $579.95 FACT BOX, EXTRA MAG

Last edited:
Right after I posted there was one in the classifieds some one grabbed it.. Look in the sold section. I'm kicking my self I didn't grab it.

dwarven1 said:
I didn't realize that they have two trigger styles. What are they and how do they differ?

Regular and what Kahr calls their "Elite" trigger. The Elite has a little shorter and heavier pull. All the plastic guns have the shorter trigger. The steel guns have the longer trigger unless they're marked "Elite" (or their owner swapped out the trigger group [wink]).

The Sig 239 is really nice. If you want to spend less you can pick up a 3913 Smith and Wesson for short $$$. The discontinued 6906 is also nice but a bit bigger and can be had for little $$$.

Chris

I used to have a 6906 and now have a cs45 and a p99, all used for
carry. With this limited experience I'd say try to find a 3913 to hold. If it fits
your hand it is fantastic. It is a thin, reasonably-sized 9mm with a great
fit and finish for really cheap used.

F

I have to admit, I've tried the S&W small auto's some years ago and found them not very comfortable - thinking back, I believe it was the 6906 that I looked at. OTOH, I think I will look at the CS9 - I think that's a relatively recent design, and I know that there are a few people on this board who swear by it.

I owned a Kahr 9mm in the past and ended up selling it. It was rather heavy for the size and had a long trigger pull which I could not get used to. All of the Kahrs I have handled in our gunshop have had this same long trigger pull. Some people do not find this to be a problem but I did.

The Sig P239 is a very good, accurate pistol but is a bit bigger and heavier than the G26. And it's even less of a pocket pistol than the Glock. A Federal Air Marshall I know said that this is the off-duty pistol for Air Marshalls and he seems to like his.

I have never been able to warm up to any S&W semi-automatics since the Model 39-2 although I know a few people who swear by the CS-9s.

To me, the Glock 26 has the most positive points and fewest negatives. That's why it's my choice. As always, other people's experiences may differ and point them to another choice.

dwarven1 said:
Any comments about the Keltec P11?

I can't comment on the P11, but I do have P3AT & it's a good little pistol. Fit & finish are rougher than all my others but it serves it's purpose as a pocket pistol well.

They are planning on releasing the PF9 this summer.

CD

Ross,

I love my SW99 compact 9mm. It's a little too big for pocket carry, but other than that should do everything else you want or need it to.

And I'd be happy to let you run a box through it if you'd like to see how it shoots...

I vote either Kahr or Makarov.

The Makarov is a little more powerful than the .380, and inexpensive, meeting both your criteria. Even the gun is relatively inexpensive, and accurate, and works nicely also.

www.makarov.com

The Sig 239 is a fine gun (I've got 2), but no way is it a pocket pistol. It also has a high bore axis, so it has a fair bit of muzzle rise.

Let me repeat this: this will be for pocket carry.

right now, when I'm at work, on the left side of my belt are 2 cell phones (work and personal). On the right side are two pouches: a NiteIze holding my LEDFire M62 flashlight, Leatherman Supertool, awl and wire spudger, and a Ripoffs holding a punchdown tool, scissors and wire cutters. (I could get technical and mention the brand of punchdown tool, scissors & wire cutters, too, but let's not get distracted from the main point)

There ain't no room for a holster! Plus if I'm moving around on ladders, under desks, etc, I'm liable to flash the world with anything in a belt holster. Not real cool to do. [rolleyes]

So I'm looking for a DA semi-auto that can be carried safely hammer down on a loaded chamber, in 9mm, small enough to fit in a pocket holster.

(which isn't to say that I won't throw a few rounds through your G19, Roger! [smile] But I also want to give Betsy a workout, too. (the Garand now has a name!)

Back
Top Bottom