• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Silly gun range rules

I have been looking around my area to see if I can find a gun club that is closer to my house. While reading the rifle range rules of one of them, I came by this little gem:

"1. Under no circumstances shall any magazine be loaded with more than 10 rounds of ammunition."

WTF? I guess I will have to throw away all my preban 30-round mags [wink] Oh, wait...actually, I won't, because I will not be joining that particular club.

One club I had joined, it was only 5 rounds. I didn't renew this year at that club.

I love Harvard and the no limits.

My club's outdoor rifle range is single load only. But it's convenient and has two 24/7 indoor ranges, so I'm happy.

It's your choice.

Well, there are different ways of looking at this. Maybe they want to restrict rapid fire semi or full auto bursts to ten rounds. Usually a neighbor problem. Maybe hi cap mags and drums are allowed if you only load them with 10 rounds. You will need to find out.

Personally I think loading up 30 rd mags is a waste of ammo. I usually load 5 rounds when I'm practicing which is enough to do some follow up shots and be able to change mags frequently giving me some practice with the operations of the gun too. I guess if you like burning through a case of ammo per session load away.

I belonged to a range that had (depending on who came up to bitch at you) a 3, 5, 7 round mag limit, you could only fire once every 2 seconds, no jacketed bullets inside, and outside could only shoot pistol at 50ft. Add that in, with the crotchety old men who go to the range for 6 hours and only fire 3 rounds who want to walk down and check their targets every 5 minutes, and the "Shooting 'those' kinds of guns makes us look bad" crowd, and of course the bitches who would complain to you if you shot anything larger than 22lr on the indoor range made me quit the club, even though it's less than 1.5 miles from home. The only "decent" crowd there was the trap shooters, but I would have to put up with constant bitching about shooting a semi-auto, and not a single shot, or over-under!

I haven't looked back since I found Westford Sportsman's!

My club has a "you can only bring in your guest a total of three times, before they can no longer go"...the funny thing is, they haven't a way to know. Stupid is as stupid does.

I go to the little outdoor range in Westminister, it's pretty much just an outdoor pistol range but of all the times I've been there I've only seen one other person outside of my group there and they were leaving as I was coming. It's cheap too @ $35/yr. Works for what I need.

We have 3 outdoor pistol ranges and 1 outdoor rifle range. You can shoot anything on the rifle range, but only pistols on the pistol ranges. Which doesn't sound weird until you find out that my .223 AR pistol is kosher for the pistol range, but pistol caliber carbines are not (UZI, Calico, cowboy lever rifles). Not as strange as some places, but I think it would make more sense to make caliber restrictions than firearm class restrictions.

QSC- 35 bucks a year and I typically see jack there with maybe one or two other people.
Only limitation is no glass targets (I think no computer stuff either now)

My club has a "you can only bring in your guest a total of three times, before they can no longer go"...the funny thing is, they haven't a way to know. Stupid is as stupid does.

My club is similar. You can only bring two guests twice and then they have to join or something like that. I think it's kind of ridiculous especially since I am trying to get my girlfriend in to guns and i think it's going to take more than two times for me to get her to get her license and join. (In fact I know it is [smile]) Other than that my club is pretty lenient when it comes to everything else. Full auto is allowed and no mag limits. 24/7 indoor range. All in all a pretty good place.

At my gun club, you can bring any particular guest three times per year -- public events don't count towards that, so they could actually be at the club 4-5 times per year. If they are coming to the club that often, then it is time for them to join because we need the money.

My club is similar. You can only bring two guests twice and then they have to join or something like that. I think it's kind of ridiculous especially since I am trying to get my girlfriend in to guns and i think it's going to take more than two times for me to get her to get her license and join.

Most clubs have an exception for family members. I don't know if your girlfriend counts, but it seems reasonable to me. Westford has a guests get 2 visits rule, but it's there to stop moochers more than anything else. If you have a friend from out of state that visits 3 times a year, no one is going to care. If you have a friend from across town that comes with you every other week, they really need to be a member.

That isn't that unreasonable.... probably not "enforced" because they believe most members will "do the right thing" and get frequent visitors signed up and paying dues.

-Mike

Last edited:
Personally I think loading up 30 rd mags is a waste of ammo. I usually load 5 rounds when I'm practicing which is enough to do some follow up shots and be able to change mags frequently giving me some practice with the operations of the gun too. I guess if you like burning through a case of ammo per session load away.

Its tough to run through a 30 round stage when you can only have 10 rounds in a mag.

not everyone shoots static

Holy Crap!!
So I'm not alone when I get pissed off that I just dumped over two hundred bucks to join Angry Tree? I mean, "Angle Tree".

This club seems to have all the angry old men conglomerated together like their ear wax, just waiting to "bust" somebody for shooting a round over the five round max.

This club seems to have all the angry old men conglomerated together like their ear wax, just waiting to "bust" somebody for shooting a round over the five round max.

I don't know your club at all. But I will say that gun clubs expect you to follow the rules and if you don't, then expect to face consequences. Read the rules before you join the club and decide if they will work for you.

The most "restrictive" rule of the three clubs I belong to is "no shooting toilets".[smile]

Are they talking about porta potties or porcelain gods? [laugh]

I'm guessing they had a problem with people bringing old crappers to
the range for destruction. [laugh]

-Mike

I actually did read the rules, but it doesn't stop people from busting balls about rules they knew that were in place twenty years ago. Some members of my club, who are a bit "antiquated" in their ways, apparently refuse to acknowledge the new rules that are written.

P.S.
I didn't just write my post because I like to go out and ignorantly break rules. I wrote it because I was, and am frustrated with the way I was treated by a member who was way off base in regards to club rules that were changed a long time ago.

Thanks

I actually did read the rules, but it doesn't stop people from busting balls about rules they knew that were in place twenty years ago. Some members of my club, who are a bit "antiquated" in their ways, apparently refuse to acknowledge the new rules that are written.

P.S.
I didn't just write my post because I like to go out and ignorantly break rules. I wrote it because I was, and am frustrated with the way I was treated by a member who was way off base in regards to club rules that were changed a long time ago.

Thanks

Been in your shoes before. Some people's interpretation of "slow fire" is glacial.

My club has a "you can only bring in your guest a total of three times, before they can no longer go"...the funny thing is, they haven't a way to know. Stupid is as stupid does.---Fsorrent
I guess you don't have to sign in like at Mansfield.

Respectfully,

jkelly

P.S.

Thanks

Sorry, but your original post seemed to imply that you were violating current rules, hence my response.

Several years ago I was using the indoor range at a well known club (one which is very popular among NES members). We were completely in accordance with the range rules. A member was giving the range orientation to new members, didn't like what we were doing and gave us a hard time for a while. Then the fellow decided to spend 15 minutes on the indoor range talking to the new members, thus deliberately preventing us from shooting. He could have easily moved his group outside of the indoor range so we could continue, but he had to show he was The Man instead. We listened to what he was telling new members and frankly he was making up rules. We notified the club leadership and they took care of it.

I suggest that you do the same -- tell the club leadership and ask them to fix it.

At my old range, the rulemakerupers were so bad, I took every last copy of the rule book from the indoor range and started carrying them in my range bag. When someone would start to bitch at me, I would go to my range bag, take out a rule book hand it to them and say "Read this before you open your mouth" walk away and continue shooting.

Back
Top Bottom