• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Silly gun range rules

I wrote an email on the ranges forum site one month ago, and finally someone answered it today. They informed me that the gentleman in question was merely a "concerned" member, and that "rapid firing is not allowed". However, the member has been "educated" on the updated rules.
Great, I don't know why they assumed I was rapid firing, perhaps because I was shooting more than one round per hour.

Oh well, I just needed to vent all that, thanks for listening, and for the input, people just suck sometimes.

Tim

Unless someone is planning on rampaging through a mall and cause mayhem why does someone need more than one round anyway! Ban all magazines and only allow one round!

Why do handguns have to have pistol grips? Don't you know it makes it easier to fire from the hip...(i wish there was an emotican for being retarded).

At my old range, the rulemakerupers were so bad, I took every last copy of the rule book from the indoor range and started carrying them in my range bag. When someone would start to bitch at me, I would go to my range bag, take out a rule book hand it to them and say "Read this before you open your mouth" walk away and continue shooting.

I used to do something similar with the RMV's driver's manual.

Wait till some range states no guns allowed.In Massachusetts? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That quote reminded me of my biggest problem w/ some "ranges". (and I will probably insult many of our members ranges, by saying this, but...) I have zero respect for clubs with "NO Machinegun" rules...If they let you shoot X caliber in single shot thompson contender there is NO REASON not to let me shoot that caliber in an MG...Plain and simple it's "retarded" as any true ma**h*** like myself would say.
It amazes me how some people rave about how good thier club is, yet when pressed, you learn of mag limits, MG bans, various limits and "definitions" of rapid fire.
Dont get me wrong I know not everyone is into "black guns" and certainly not everyone is into MG's, I just find the "NO MG's" rules silly...either your range can handle a particular caliber or not, how quickly I can send it down range should not...[smile]

The muzzle on a TC contender doesn't continue to rise as more shots are fired. I'm sure you can fire one safely, but some people probably can not. If I owned a club and wrote the rules, I'd probably require a demonstration of safe firing to a safety officer before you can shoot full-auto.

That quote reminded me of my biggest problem w/ some "ranges". (and I will probably insult many of our members ranges, by saying this, but...) I have zero respect for clubs with "NO Machinegun" rules...If they let you shoot X caliber in single shot thompson contender there is NO REASON not to let me shoot that caliber in an MG...Plain and simple it's "retarded" as any true ma**h*** like myself would say.
It amazes me how some people rave about how good thier club is, yet when pressed, you learn of mag limits, MG bans, various limits and "definitions" of rapid fire.
Dont get me wrong I know not everyone is into "black guns" and certainly not everyone is into MG's, I just find the "NO MG's" rules silly...either your range can handle a particular caliber or not, how quickly I can send it down range should not...[smile]
Are they giving you a hard time because they are worried about the noise ?? What is the excuse they give you ?

That quote reminded me of my biggest problem w/ some "ranges". (and I will probably insult many of our members ranges, by saying this, but...) I have zero respect for clubs with "NO Machinegun" rules...If they let you shoot X caliber in single shot thompson contender there is NO REASON not to let me shoot that caliber in an MG.

Sorry, but I disagree with you very strongly. It is very easy with many MGs to get muzzle rise and lose rounds over the berm. I have direct experience with this using a full auto HK91. A single round that leaves the range can shut down a club for good, and it is far more likely to occur with a machine gun than a bolt action rifle. Furthermore, for clubs with close neighbors, full auto fire is going to cause more noise complaints from the neighbors.

I'm not saying that no club should have machine guns. What I'm saying is that I understand perfectly why some guns allow them and some do not. Some clubs have better range geometry and surrounding topography that reduce the risk of full auto fire. Others do not.

Most clubs have an exception for family members

We only charge another 15 per year to sign up as a Family membership. If you have kids, etc. it is foolish not to join under that form of membership.

We don't have a rule limiting members bringing guests but the member cannot shoot while the guest is shooting. The member must monitor the guest's conduct. We have had some problems with member's bringing several guests taking up a good portion of the rifle range. Paying members should have the first opportunity to use the facilities. But that is rare. I've seen guest rapid firing from the hip which is shut down quickly. It's my opinion that guests can eventually turn into members which does happen often.

I would guess that with MG's the noise is a bigger problem than with anything else. Unless the club has talked to the PD about it there will be a lot of mary hairnets...
kravitz.jpg

Going "I hear machine guns going off over at dat dere sportmans klub! BWEAH!!! WAH!" [laugh]

IMO keeping the muzzle below the top of the berm while firing is the responsibility of any shooter; regardless of whether the gun is FA or not. I have seen cases where people have sent rounds over berms with single action revolvers; because the trigger was too light and the person put their finger inside the guard before it was time, and brushed the trigger causing it to discharge, thus sending a round into the sky. I suppose a negligent person with an FA might be able to send more rounds in less time over the berm, though. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
IMO keeping the muzzle below the top of the berm while firing is the responsibility of any shooter; regardless of whether the gun is FA or not. I have seen cases where people have sent rounds over berms with single action revolvers;

I agree. I also recall being about 12 years old, approx. 1972, and was at the Wilton Maine Fish and Game club when someone on the range went into FA. You should have seen the club members clear out and race to the range to put a stop to it. The extra measure of safety, knowing what was down range behind the berm was warranted even way back then (pre-industrial Maine [rofl]). Here in MA, inside 495, I've got to believe it's hard to find a range or club with hundreds of wood acres behind the range sans people. That being said, control what you can and hope for the best with the rest.

drgrant: Yes, it is the responsibility of the shooter. But if you've ever shot an M14 or G3, you'll agree that it is really, really easy to send rounds over the berm with one.

With revolver, if you are pointing at the backstop when you pull the trigger, chances are you will hit the backstop. With an M14 or G3, if you are pointing at the backstop but do not have the proper stance, your third shot (just a fraction of a second after you pulled the trigger) will be far over the berm.

To put it another way, with a revolver you have to be an idiot to put a round over the berm. With a full-auto M14 or G3, you can put a round over the berm in a heartbeat if you are not using correct form. The chances of a revolver shooting putting a round over the berm is far, far lower than an MG shooter.

I've shot MGs. I love them. I'd buy one if I could afford one. But club leadership must be realistic in the assessment of the risks involved. Camp Curtis Guild is STILL closed 10+ years after a single round from an MP-5 escaped the range.

Last edited:
Well I have 2 FA guns (AC-556K and MAC10 .45) and I enjoy taking them out and getting a little trigger time with them once in a while.
However I can see how some ranges dont allow them due to people throwing rounds over the berm and other potential unsafe issues. Its really something that needs to be looked at and is a range by range basis.
However, there are also a lot of NFA people out there that also need a place to practice and shoot with their toys as well as anyone else. Unfortunately there are a lot of uninformed people out there that dont like MGs and I think that is too bad. NFA owners as any other gun owner, are some of the most law abiding citizens out there. WE HAVE TO BE.... anyone with enough patience to go through the process of even attempting to own one has to be... [grin]

I can understand why Mass Rifle has the rules in place that they do. The ranges are all pointed squarely at the junction between I95 and I93, and are well within rifle range. I live with it, because its a great club with a convenient location.

I belong to two clubs.

One we can't shoot on the outdoor range during the week do to the school be right next door (across the street, an agreement made with them) and no shooting before 10 AM on Sunday. Indoor range OK except late at night (alot of houses around).

The other club is the same, no Sunday early shooting, both clubs are the same as no glass, ext., they also only want you to use there targets stands (unless you get permission to use yours).

Sorry, but I disagree with you very strongly. It is very easy with many MGs to get muzzle rise and lose rounds over the berm. I have direct experience with this using a full auto HK91. A single round that leaves the range can shut down a club for good, and it is far more likely to occur with a machine gun than a bolt action rifle. Furthermore, for clubs with close neighbors, full auto fire is going to cause more noise complaints from the neighbors.

I'm not saying that no club should have machine guns. What I'm saying is that I understand perfectly why some guns allow them and some do not. Some clubs have better range geometry and surrounding topography that reduce the risk of full auto fire. Others do not.

I agree... some clubs that are close around a town.. usually have most of the town just begging for a reason to shut them down.. Sad but true..

WPR has a rule that you have to contact the PD the day before.. then call the club answering machine and leave a msg the day of.. Since I don't have a full auto.. I can't complain I guess.. [thinking]

It's far more fun when you actually "Wrote" the rules booklets. (^_^)

Yeah, I went a similar route.
Well I have 2 FA guns (AC-556K and MAC10 .45) and I enjoy taking them out and getting a little trigger time with them once in a while.
However I can see how some ranges dont allow them due to people throwing rounds over the berm and other potential unsafe issues.

My range doesn't allow them for "neighbor" purposes. It's a rule I've been trying to change.

My club has a "you can only bring in your guest a total of three times, before they can no longer go"...the funny thing is, they haven't a way to know. Stupid is as stupid does.

We have that rule at Mansfield. We now use the sign in book to see if folks are there more than three times. Its not fool proof but then again if someone likes the club enough to use it more than three times then maybe they should join.

We have that rule at Mansfield. We now use the sign in book to see if folks are there more than three times. Its not fool proof but then again if someone likes the club enough to use it more than three times then maybe they should join.

We do the same at Plymouth R&G.

We can have 3 guest at a time... they can come unlimited times...

The more time I spend at the club.. the more I love it...

As a member of a club, I feel that I'm actually supposed to follow the rules that the club lays down, either that or move to a different one when my membership is up. That includes the rules on guests. Of course a club will have a hard time enforcing those rules because logbooks can be tampered with and watching that much security tape is pointless. It's up to the members to enforce the rules. If you go around breaking them wantonly, it's only a matter of time before the board calls you in and gives you the boot. By becoming a member of a club, I think you've committed to obeying and upholding the range rules that that club has. Perhaps I'm just being old-fashioned, though.

Vellnueve: one other option -- if there is a rule that you think should be changed, then go to the meetings and explain why you think it should be changed and exactly what the wording should be. It typically isn't easy to get rules changed, but at some clubs it can be done.

My club is similar. You can only bring two guests twice and then they have to join or something like that. I think it's kind of ridiculous especially since I am trying to get my girlfriend in to guns and i think it's going to take more than two times for me to get her to get her license and join. (In fact I know it is [smile]) Other than that my club is pretty lenient when it comes to everything else. Full auto is allowed and no mag limits. 24/7 indoor range. All in all a pretty good place.

My club has the same rule. Maybe it's the same club! However, I think "family" is exempt from the two visit rule. Also, other than if they go through the waivers the guest has to sign, they aren't really going to know. I think the reason for the rule is to keep people from "splitting" a membership by having one membership, but always having the same guest. Or maybe they just figure after two visits a guest should know if he's going to join or not.

It's the only silly rule they have though. Other than that, each member gets a key and the indoor range is open 24/7.

Gary

Vellnueve: one other option -- if there is a rule that you think should be changed, then go to the meetings and explain why you think it should be changed and exactly what the wording should be. It typically isn't easy to get rules changed, but at some clubs it can be done.

Clearly, but as a member I think it's my responsibility to respect and obey any such regulations that may be in place, even if I'm working to change them.

So far i haven't broken this rule (to set myself straight). I just think it's a silly rule to have if its not enforced. I mean, who honeslty keeps track of things like that. I am in the process of geting my girlfriend her license, once she has that, im sure she'll get a membership to boot.

Back
Top Bottom