SHTF: 357 magnum or 44 magnum?

Yes. Anything much longer than that is just too damn big to carry. I've got a 5" 625 and it really is a pain to carry. The barrel is too damn long to be able to comfortably sit down while the gun is holstered.

Please, please, please send it my way then! I had a 5in 625 years ago. At the time, I wanted a 4in since "back then" it was easy to find "duty holsters" for 4in N-frames. Now, I want a 5in, and all I can find is the 4 inchers! As for me, I like long, heavy barrels (this coming from someone who will carry an 11 pound deer rifle in order to shoot a heavier caliber/bullet and tame recoil.

Looking at the prices of .357/.44 ammo today - OMG! I might as well get the .44mag. For most use, the "dirty ought six" will be used for longer ranges, then the 5.56 MSR for 100 yds. and in, and to finish off the last, close in targets, a nice "standard capacity" 9mm or good ol' 1911 in .45acp. The revolver option was just for the occasional bear or deer that comes around. No carbine in that caliber for me - too busy using the other two rifles!

Last edited:
I've had good luck with my Henry Big Boy Steel using .38spl, or at least any issues I've had with it haven't gotten my attention. Every now and again there's a little glitch, but the rifle is fairly new.

Having said that, I noticed in the manual last night: "While you can use .38SPL loads, you must ensure they are 158GRwith an overall length that closely mimics the .357 Magnum cartridge. Due to the shoulder location on the carrier, the gun will not feed: 110GR, 125GR, 130GR, etc. .38 special loads reliably."

Proof of the pudding is the eating, I guess. Even some .357 ammo cycles better than others. I'm not buying Aguila semi-jacketed hollow points for it again. I try to put flat points of some kind or other in it because of the nose-to-primer issue in the magazine, but there needs to be some roundness along the sides for smooth feeding, I think. The Ultramax .357 semi-wadcutters did not feed smoothly (and so far win the award for dirtiest shooting ammo I've shot in it). It's not like they didn't feed. They did. I cycled and shot every one of them, but it was rough.
I've got a Winchester 73 in .357 and it chambers .38spl no problem. Great carbine.

Yes. Anything much longer than that is just too damn big to carry. I've got a 5" 625 and it really is a pain to carry. The barrel is too damn long to be able to comfortably sit down while the gun is holstered.

Respectfully, isn't that why Harry Callahan carried his 29 in a shoulder rig? My only complaint about my shoulder holster for the 29 is that the ammo pouches are designed to carry loose rounds and not speed loaders.
e018113740c8f02dfd36e793734436e7.jpg

I'm no expert, having just my one model 66 with 4.25" bbl, but I agree.

Snubby for carry, but has a short sight radius, snappy handling, and lots if muzzle blast.

Longer gives longer sight radius which *may* have benefit. Not sure there's any ballistic advantage of a 6". As suggested, longer is a detriment to carry, should you choose to.

My k frame balances nicely.

In an article written by Ayoob he says that the shorter barrels do affect the velocity, but don't seem to hurt the .357's almost magical one shot stopping ability. Plenty of juice left even in short barrels. He also makes note that he is referring to a 125 gr. JSP. that is made by both Winchester and Federal. Ayoob further states that he has no preference between the two since they both produce the same results.

It's been said, but if I had to leave the house in 10 m with what I could carry I would be hard pressed not to take my 4" Python in 357, and my '94 Marlin lever gun in the same. Add a 22 LR for small game......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom