• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF: 357 magnum or 44 magnum?

I agree completely. A 6" or longer barrel may be fine for a range gun, but for anything else, the barrel adds nothing but weight and difficulty in concealment.

Even if you aren't concealing it, it is just a pain in the ass to carry around. Try to put a 6" barrel gun in a holster (if you can find one) and then get in and out of your vehicle with it on.

I have a couple of each, and rifles to go with them.

Different tools for different jobs. But if I had to choose I would go with my 4" -686 first. Pure joy to shoot and if you can't kill it with that you probably need a rifle anyway.

Went through this same mental exercise myself a few months ago. I had enough cash to go either way, and looked at some super nice .44 polished stainless Smiths, along with several in the .357 category. After much research and deliberation I came to the same conclusion that most people in this thread pointed to... .357 as the best "all around" choice. I settled on the GP100 Match Champion with the 4 3/8" barrel and couldn't be happier. I plan to pick up a lever gun to match at some point too, most likely a Henry. For me it came down to what I saw as being overall easier to get locally, as well as cost, which is always a factor if you don't reload. Once I am set up for reloading, I definitely will add .44 to the stable too, but for now, I feel I have a great all around wheel gun.

Get a 4" .357 - ammo is much more plentiful. Also, get a 4" barrel. Larger barrels are just too much of a pain to carry.

I second this. Any bigger calibers I'd rather be shooting from a long gun. I think you do get a little more velocity out of a 6 inch barrel but it's not going to be a huge deal from a pistol.

NES is having an off day, no one has said get both! Why not buy 4 guns instead of two? Before you buy a new caliber, get a press. Nothing better than rolling your own. You can go super hot or mouse farts for the same ammo. In my opionion, .45 colt is a great round. Can load it at 600 feet per second, or 1,400 FPS jacketed to take down big stuff.

make sure to do your resurch on lever actions guns in .357, they all don't like to shoot .38 special. But they do make special boolits that make .38 special the OAL of .357 so that they run reliably in the gun.

kyle

bears are the least of my concern when SHTF. also I feel a revolver is a poor choice for self defense. capacity wins firefights why take 6 rounds to protect yourself when you can take 18 rounds?

If i had to be stuck with a revolver i would go 357 beacuse you can shoot 38 too

My 44mag 5.5" Redhawk is my favorite handgun, but I would go for a 357 if I were to choose one. Your barrel lengths are too long for the purpose. Get a 4" 357, or a 4-6" 44mag. The recoil in mine is very timid. It is very accurate out to 50 yards or more. Farther than that and there is plenty of time to draw your rifle.

NES is having an off day, no one has said get both! Why not buy 4 guns instead of two? Before you buy a new caliber, get a press. Nothing better than rolling your own. You can go super hot or mouse farts for the same ammo. In my opionion, .45 colt is a great round. Can load it at 600 feet per second, or 1,400 FPS jacketed to take down big stuff.

make sure to do your resurch on lever actions guns in .357, they all don't like to shoot .38 special. But they do make special boolits that make .38 special the OAL of .357 so that they run reliably in the gun.

kyle

+1 for the .45Colt. I have hunted with the Smith 625 and a 16" .45Long Colt Marlin lever action rifle. Got a nice doe in Maine with the Marlin and a favorite handload. The Smith 625 was a nice backup to the Marlin on that hunt and they both shoot the same handload very well.

Oh I beg to differ. [grin]

IMG_0015_zps2e41ea08.jpg

Stupid noob question: Why lever action specifically?

A lever action rifle chambered in .357 will also cycle .38spl reliably. If you practice with it, you can get pretty damn quick with a lever action. Quicker than a bolt action anyhow, and you don't have to alter your grip or cheek weld while cycling the action with a lever gun. Capacity is acceptable, unless you're facing a large group of unfriendly folks in which case you should have brought a 30-round something or other.

Just my .02

Stupid noob question: Why lever action specifically?

A lever action rifle chambered in .357 will also cycle .38spl reliably. If you practice with it, you can get pretty damn quick with a lever action. Quicker than a bolt action anyhow, and you don't have to alter your grip or cheek weld while cycling the action with a lever gun. Capacity is acceptable, unless you're facing a large group of unfriendly folks in which case you should have brought a 30-round something or other.

Just my .02

In order to use the same caliber ammunition in your handgun and carbine (rifle). There aren't many (any?) ARs chambered in .38spl/.357mag, which use rimmed cases. The blunt nose on .38/.357 are better in a tube magazine, so as not to puncture the primer of the round ahead of it in the tube.

A lever action rifle chambered in .357 will also cycle .38spl reliably.

I've had good luck with my Henry Big Boy Steel using .38spl, or at least any issues I've had with it haven't gotten my attention. Every now and again there's a little glitch, but the rifle is fairly new.

Having said that, I noticed in the manual last night: "While you can use .38SPL loads, you must ensure they are 158GRwith an overall length that closely mimics the .357 Magnum cartridge. Due to the shoulder location on the carrier, the gun will not feed: 110GR, 125GR, 130GR, etc. .38 special loads reliably."

Proof of the pudding is the eating, I guess. Even some .357 ammo cycles better than others. I'm not buying Aguila semi-jacketed hollow points for it again. I try to put flat points of some kind or other in it because of the nose-to-primer issue in the magazine, but there needs to be some roundness along the sides for smooth feeding, I think. The Ultramax .357 semi-wadcutters did not feed smoothly (and so far win the award for dirtiest shooting ammo I've shot in it). It's not like they didn't feed. They did. I cycled and shot every one of them, but it was rough.

Last edited:
What, no love for the 22lr? Several good revolvers and many good rifles. Cheap(er) to buy and far cheaper to shoot. Easier to carry too.

When everything goes south, try collecting some small game with your .44 mag and see how that goes :)

I realize .22 was not an option in the OP, just figured I would stir the pot a little.

Marlin 1894c in .357/38 and a ruger Blackhawk convertible in 357/38 with the 9 mm cylinder. I'm guessing you have better luck scrounging for 9mm than 357 if shtf. But you're covered either way.

so the consensus is a 4" barrel on a .357 magnum?
I'm no expert, having just my one model 66 with 4.25" bbl, but I agree.

Snubby for carry, but has a short sight radius, snappy handling, and lots if muzzle blast.

Longer gives longer sight radius which *may* have benefit. Not sure there's any ballistic advantage of a 6". As suggested, longer is a detriment to carry, should you choose to.

My k frame balances nicely.

so the consensus is a 4" barrel on a .357 magnum?

Yes. Anything much longer than that is just too damn big to carry. I've got a 5" 625 and it really is a pain to carry. The barrel is too damn long to be able to comfortably sit down while the gun is holstered.

- - - Updated - - -

The 4" K-frame really does have a nice balance.

I'm no expert, having just my one model 66 with 4.25" bbl, but I agree.

Snubby for carry, but has a short sight radius, snappy handling, and lots if muzzle blast.

Longer gives longer sight radius which *may* have benefit. Not sure there's any ballistic advantage of a 6". As suggested, longer is a detriment to carry, should you choose to.

Yes. Anything much longer than that is just too damn big to carry. I've got a 5" 625 and it really is a pain to carry. The barrel is too damn long to be able to comfortably sit down while the gun is holstered.

- - - Updated - - -

The 4" K-frame really does have a nice balance.

Thank you for your input. When I grab one I'll be looking at a 4" barrel length...

Back
Top Bottom