SHTF: 357 magnum or 44 magnum?

So, I can either pick up a .357 magnum, or a .44 magnum right now. If the SHTF*, which would you go with, given the availability of local ammo, and the fact that 357 might be over-kill for somethings, yet the 44 would work better on anything bigger or more protected (vehicles, bears, etc.). I would only be using factory ammo for either caliber. The .357 would be a 6in model, and the .44 would be either a 7.5in or 8-3/8in model. *SHTF can include future bans/ or extreme difficulty in purchasing firearms, not just "end of the world" scenarios. Eventually, if things stay on track, I would be able to purchase the other caliber. Thoughts? Thanks!

Get the one you like to shoot the most. Where the hole is is more important than how big the hole is. Then, get a lever action in the same caliber[smile]. For SHTF having one or 2 standard calibers is a good approach.

.357, because if you find some 38 spcl laying around..you can use it..

And like cowboys used to do, have the same ammo for their handguns as their lever action rifles.

Just my two cents.

But then you have to carry all those moonclips, thought it is far superior to 38 special reloading tools. I would love a 625 .45 JM revolver one of these days.

I was in the same predicament years ago. Almost bought a 627.
Then I realized the best solution was to invest I reloading equipment and shoot more of what I already had.
That being said the massive savings from reloading lead to me buying a 625 revolver in 45ACP to match up to my 1911.
Then I got the 686. Then the 629.

If I had another 45 I would try to go 45 revolver if that's in your cards.
If not then I would go 357.

Especially if it's only factory ammo and no plans to reload.
You see a lot more 38 ammo from mild to wild than 44 special ammo. You would be kind of stuck with expensive magnum loads in the 44. Special isn't very common from what I've seen. Hard to stock up with prices like that and not nearly the versatility of the 38/357 combo.
Wadcutters for small game and target work. 180 grain buffalo bore for 4 legged creatures. 125 grain hollow points for 2 legged.

Short of a bear attack I think you would be ok with 357 and well placed shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their both so right a pistol caliber carbine lever or pump expands your options drastically and reloading keeps you in the game longer in a SHTF situation and without saying 38/357 are the easiest to reload and attain component's
I was in the same predicament years ago. Almost bought a 627.
Then I realized the best solution was to invest I reloading equipment and shoot more of what I already had.
That being said the massive savings from reloading lead to me buying a 625 revolver in 45ACP to match up to my 1911.
Then I got the 686. Then the 629.

If I had another 45 I would try to go 45 revolver if that's in your cards.
If not then I would go 357.

Especially if it's only factory ammo and no plans to reload.
You see a lot more 38 ammo from mild to wild than 44 special ammo. You would be kind of stuck with expensive magnum loads in the 44. Special isn't very common from what I've seen. Hard to stock up with prices like that and not nearly the versatility of the 38/357 combo.
Wadcutters for small game and target work. 180 grain buffalo bore for 4 legged creatures. 125 grain hollow points for 2 legged.

Short of a bear attack I think you would be ok with 357 and well placed shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the same brain teaser a while back. Bought a 686 because 357 and 38 are plentiful and do nearly any job I'd need them to do. I love it planning to get a 357 lever action to pair with it. Just picked up a 44mag 629 and lol now planning to pick up a 44mag lever action as well. Some would say I have a problem. I say I have solutions.

357 has ammo availability and will do what a handgun is meant to do, plus a woman, kid or metro-sexual could shoot it. 44 will put a load in the target's undies before you put one through his torso.

44 of course. You feel lucky punk???

Kinda have to reload tho, but so much flexibility. And it's bigger.

I'll say 38/357 and get a lever action in the same caliber as others have said. More options for ammo.

I will though disagree with your bbl length idea. For me a SHTF gun has to be easily and quickly drawn as needed seeing, well, the S has hit the F. To me a 6 or 7 inch bbl is just too cumbersome for something you may need to bring into action quickly. If it was me I'd only be looking at a bbl 4 inches or less for the application your indicating.

.38/.357. Easier to hand to your wife or other shtf-mate.

003a6fa59fda662086f20a5b10f0dc16.jpg

^ New model 66-8. 4.25" K frame six shooter. Sweet shooter. Henry Big Boy is on my list.

Last edited:
As much as I love the 44. And the Spec is as soft shooting as 38 through a large framed gun ammo availability has to first in shtf scenario. For that reason I'd say 38,357.

Personally, I am going .357. I have a S&W model 19 and a 586, both with 4" barrels. Now looking to find a Winchester Model 92, Short Rifle (20" barrel) in the same caliber. .44 Magnum is a great cartridge, but I personally find .357 to be more shootable. But that may be because I am a recoil adverse girly-man.

If it were me, I'd get a 357/38 revolver and a 357/38 lever action to go with it.

Ruger GP100
Rossi lever action
At least that's what I did. That gives me .38 and .355 in both pistol and lever action carbine...

I've got a .44 Magnum, a Blackhawk. It's a lot of fun to shoot, but less versatile than the GP100 and the ammo's harder to find and more expensive.

IMHO it depends on your skill level and philosophy of use.

As others have mentioned you cannot beat a .357 for general purpose.. for SHTF you might also consider
a Lee Classic Loader and a lead bullet mould (perhaps a Keith-style bullet).. and the appropriated knowledge to safely and properly use all of the above.

Handloading gives the advantage of building custom loads.. light target loads or small-game loads.. or full power loads for other purposes..

Of course, for true long-term SHTF..a smooth-bore flintlock might be a better choice..

Last edited:
Get a 4" .357 - ammo is much more plentiful. Also, get a 4" barrel. Larger barrels are just too much of a pain to carry.

Get a 4" .357 - ammo is much more plentiful. Also, get a 4" barrel. Larger barrels are just too much of a pain to carry.

I agree completely. A 6" or longer barrel may be fine for a range gun, but for anything else, the barrel adds nothing but weight and difficulty in concealment.

Back
Top Bottom