show us your 1911s

tele_mark said:
Uhhhh,

that's damn nice!
I should make this a little clearer... the grips were my birthday present, not the whole gun. (heck, getting her to get me the grips was a big enough step!)[smile]

Here are two of mine that I had pics of on the ole box......

Custom built .45, Springfield Armory Frame, Caspian slide, Bomar rear sight, Kart barrel. Shoots like a dream!
191145.jpg

Para .40 custom built by me (my first try) STI slide, Bomar rear sight, Fiber Optic front sight, Barsto barrel, Dawson Ice mag well, My own custom trigger, Very accurate, It is my USPSA/IPSC competition pistol.
para1.jpg

I can join the club now too.

Started with the GI model stock. Sent it to Greg Derr for a Kart NM barrel and bushing, BoMar BMCS rear sight, MGW dovetail front sight, a Grieder trigger with a 4lb break. I'll post a range report when I get out. [smile]

1911.jpg

The reason I got my Licence:

156845607_43dc7122d7_o.jpg

Grandfathers side arm from WWII. I was to get it when he passed away but he wanted to pass it down to me while he was still alive. So I went, got my Class A and now use this gun regularly. Its beautiful, heavy and pack a punch. I took my grandfather to my range to shoot it last year. It had been 40 year since he had shot it.

sixdouble532one said:
Grandfathers side arm from WWII. I was to get it when he passed away but he wanted to pass it down to me while he was still alive. So I went, got my Class A and now use this gun regularly. Its beautiful, heavy and pack a punch. I took my grandfather to my range to shoot it last year. It had been 40 year since he had shot it.
That's fantastic - Happy shooting! You don't mention specifically, so I hope you and your grandfather have many more outings in store for you.

Ross

sixdouble532one said:
The reason I got my Licence:

156845607_43dc7122d7_o.jpg

Let me tell you, I sure wish I'd done that before my grandfather passed away. [sad]

Cross-X said:
Very nice 1911, JonJ. Was that the lightly used one that I nearly bought there yesterday? If so, you got yourself a helluva price!
Must have been. He had a blued one too that was in excellent condition, same price. I went with the SS because I know the blue wouldn't hold up with me. I don't know how old it is but it's clean and in real good shape. I think it must have been one of the older "Banner" models and it was buffed out. There are no S&W markings on the slide.

I have heard of some that were made without the markings. You can figure it is not that old because they haven't been making them for that long! Nice piece, I have the same one, but with the writing. You should like it!

Thanks guys. I really can't wait to try it. The only pistol shooting I do is with my service pistol (S&W 4043). I've been dry firing the 1911 and there is NO comparison between them. It'll be fun to fire them side by side but I know which will win with me[smile]

ETA: I was unaware that there was a run of slides without markings. Interesting. Was it done on the first run of 1911's or somewhere between the banner and current marking?

Last edited:
Cross-X said:
Very nice 1911, JonJ. Was that the lightly used one that I nearly bought there yesterday? If so, you got yourself a helluva price!

You guys stink! I go to FS to look at some Glocks and then I had to look at the 1911s... so Darius (who happened to be there at the same time) suggests I take a look at the Doug Koenig S&W 1911 and tells Carl that's a great price. Now what the heck am I supposed to do??? Every stinking time a go there I want more.

Seriously JonJ- good luck. I do like the S&W 1911s... I must have one soon too. [wink]

Jon... you don't know the power of the dark side of the 1911 [/jedi mind trick]

Oh. You already bought one. Never mind!

Seriously, Jon, now you gotta get a hold of Rich Hasty and get some Masonic grips for it...

JonJ said:
Must have been. He had a blued one too that was in excellent condition, same price. I went with the SS because I know the blue wouldn't hold up with me. I don't know how old it is but it's clean and in real good shape. I think it must have been one of the older "Banner" models and it was buffed out. There are no S&W markings on the slide.

Very nice gun. Some of these guns came from the factory without the banner. If yours had one, and it was buffed out, if the light hits it just right, you may be able to see a faint shadow of it.

Nice purchase!

Lugnut said:
You guys stink! I go to FS to look at some Glocks and then I had to look at the 1911s... so Darius (who happened to be there at the same time) suggests I take a look at the Doug Koenig S&W 1911 and tells Carl that's a great price. Now what the heck am I supposed to do??? Every stinking time a go there I want more.

Seriously JonJ- good luck. I do like the S&W 1911s... I must have one soon too. [wink]

Hey, Lug, I bought a gun while I was there, so I guess that means that you are at least one gun behind!

Yield to temptation, save up a few more bucks and get yourself that sweet, sweet DK!

Cross-X said:
Hey, Lug, I bought a gun while I was there, so I guess that means that you are at least one gun behind!

Yield to temptation, save up a few more bucks and get yourself that sweet, sweet DK!

I know... I just am so into the Glock thing now... I'm leaning towards a G19 when I can find one.

Back
Top Bottom