• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Show me your Mosin(s)

Hi All. I did do a search to see if there was a previous mosin thread but it was back from 2008 and alot of the pictures where no longer showing up, so i thought best just to start a new one. Lets see pics of your mosin's whether their original hard to find mosins, your everyday 91/30, or your own personalized mosin. Let us know if you know any additional information on your mosin as well.

(order of top down)
1.) Everything matching (forced match magazine cover) 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 PU sniper. It is one of the Molot PU's and is in great shape. Bore is pristine and the optics are in great shape. With the yugo surplus 7.62x54R as long as i do my part i can get 1" groups at 100 yards with her. If you are thinking of getting a PU, pull the trigger and get one. My favorite rifle in my collection.

2.) 1942 "finish matching" VKT M39 on a 1897 receiver. Good overall condition with the bore being a mirror. She lives up to the finish pedigree of accuracy as well.

3.) 1942 Izhevsk all matching run of the mill 91/30. Good dark but clean bore with strong rifling. Good shooter but the trigger is the heaviest out of all of them.

4.) 1947 Izhevsk M44 all matching and as far as i can tell is un-refurbed (no refurb stamp and all numbers show no sign of being scrubbed and re-stamped). Everything shines as if new with a decent trigger but the bolt is stiff to re-cock.

5.) 1955 non matching type 53. I bought it off a guy on armslist with a tuna can of ammo for a great price and idk if the stock has been refinished or not but i am leaning towards yes. Action as smooth as butter with a great trigger. The bore is a little frosty but the rifling is strong and is a respectable shooter.

Lets see what everyone's got!

Here is a few of mine

Attachments

• DSCN1423.jpg
    DSCN1423.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 81
This isn't actually mine, it belongs to a friend of mine.
I didn't know that Mosin-Nagant made revolvers until he showed me this one.

It has a neat camming feature, the cylinder rotates foward so there's a seal between the cylinder and the barrel as you cock the revolver; makes for less gas escaping, which of course makes it quieter.

This particular model was picked up off of a battlefield by his grandfather, and he won't be firing it, it's not in good enough shape and it'd be a shame to destroy it.

10-10-2015-A 005.jpg

"Mosin Nagant" is the rifles. The revolver is just "Nagant".

Anyways, 91/30 and M38, both from the early 1940s:

IMAG1200.jpg

The 91/30 has a scope on it right now (no permanent modifications) but I don't have any photos of it handy. Instead, here's the M38 attempting to set targets on fire at ~170 yards:

m38.jpg

"Mosin Nagant" is the rifles. The revolver is just "Nagant".

Anyways, 91/30 and M38, both from the early 1940s:

IMAG1200.jpg

The 91/30 has a scope on it right now (no permanent modifications) but I don't have any photos of it handy. Instead, here's the M38 attempting to set targets on fire at ~170 yards:

m38.jpg

Nice! How's it shoot with the scope?

Nice! How's it shoot with the scope?
Not bad. Loosens up after a while so I probably need some locktite. It's also my first scoped gun so still getting used to adjustments and whatnot. Last time I shot it, I couldn't match my previous 50 yard group that I managed with iron sights (below) so there's more work to be done with the current scope setup [laugh]

IMAG0989_1.jpg

Scopes on the dovetail mount on mosins can be tough to have stay on. I saw a guy shoot about 60 rounds trying to get his scoped zero'd and I turn to look at him and his next shot the scope just falls right off the rifle. I think locktite is the way to go. Nice groups by the way

Scopes on the dovetail mount on mosins can be tough to have stay on. I saw a guy shoot about 60 rounds trying to get his scoped zero'd and I turn to look at him and his next shot the scope just falls right off the rifle. I think locktite is the way to go. Nice groups by the way

I've had pretty good luck with mine using locktite and cranking it down good and tight.

Personally I would use a side mount or one that's screwed to the receiver . I have a ati style on my bastard mosin and it's worked great . But I'm going to be putting a side mount on it soon. So I can run standard Psl/svd optics .

Okie dokie, this is the first time I have emptied out my 'Mosin Safe', and until now, I really wasn't sure how many I had. Here is the money shot with all of them:

And here are two closer shots of the whole group:

From top to bottom:

1943 Ishevsk with a repro scope mount and a cheap 4x scope. I really want to find a repro scope for it.
1938 Ishevsk that I bubba'd down to a 17" barrel and put on a scout scope. I love this gun.
1938 Ishevsk
1941 Finn M39 built on a 1906 receiver
1955 Chinese T-53
1955 Chinese T-53 (I bought these two for $89 each on sale)
1943 Ishevsk with really nice laminate stock. This one still has cosmo in it, I never cleaned it
1945 Ishevsk M44
1931 Tula Hex. This might be the nicest one of the bunch, other than the Finn.
1943 Tula Hex (oddball because they didn't make hexes in 1943. Tang date is 1931 IIRC)
1954 Chinese T-53. This one is my son's. He wanted to buy himself a Mosin when he turned 18, and I told him to just pick one from the safe. This is the one he wanted. It is refinished with a very dark stain.
1942 Ishevsk

Other than the Finn (ETA - and the M44), every one of these was bought for $100 or less back in the good old days. Best $1000 I ever spent.

Last edited:
Wow nice collection. Mosins really do seem to multiply like no other rifle, its the craziest thing.... I have a question to pose and hopefully someone has the answer. When i bought my M39 it was your standard ftf EFA10 from another guy off armslist. When i brake the rifle down for a cleaning and inspection i notice the tang date of 1897 making it a antique. My question is, In the future can i sell it like a antique in a private sale when/if im still in MA or do i have to use up one of the four sales i get a year. Maybe im getting this whole antique thing wrong.

Certainly not a "collection" (yet). 2 Tula's and an Izzy for the 91/30s. Both Tula's are pre-war hex's. The M44 (my favorite) is a '45 Izzy if I recall, I just don't remember and didn't look. Honestly I have never even loaded a round into the 3 91/30s (yet)
df0979378e89bcc65f120d640d356ab1.jpg

Last edited:
well_done_sir_zps7899f92c.gif
Okie dokie, this is the first time I have emptied out my 'Mosin Safe', and until now, I really wasn't sure how many I had. Here is the money shot with all of them:

And here are two closer shots of the whole group:

From top to bottom:

1943 Ishevsk with a repro scope mount and a cheap 4x scope. I really want to find a repro scope for it.
1938 Ishevsk that I bubba'd down to a 17" barrel and put on a scout scope. I love this gun.
1938 Ishevsk
1941 Finn M39 built on a 1906 receiver
1955 Chinese T-53
1955 Chinese T-53 (I bought these two for $89 each on sale)
1943 Ishevsk with really nice laminate stock. This one still has cosmo in it, I never cleaned it
1945 Ishevsk M44
1931 Tula Hex. This might be the nicest one of the bunch, other than the Finn.
1943 Tula Hex (oddball because they didn't make hexes in 1943. Tang date is 1931 IIRC)
1954 Chinese T-53. This one is my son's. He wanted to buy himself a Mosin when he turned 18, and I told him to just pick one from the safe. This is the one he wanted. It is refinished with a very dark stain.
1942 Ishevsk

Other than the Finn (ETA - and the M44), every one of these was bought for $100 or less back in the good old days. Best $1000 I ever spent.

I sold off a bunch but some remain.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1447156350518.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447156350518.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 33
  • uploadfromtaptalk1447156365653.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447156365653.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 35
  • uploadfromtaptalk1447156378776.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447156378776.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 34
Back