Should I buy a SR1911?

Probably the rust holding it on[wink]

Thats what i figured....

Just buy it...i read more crap on this site about problems with guns that i own or have owned that never happen

Just like the 4th gen glocks never an issue

And i run light reloads 90 percent of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just buy it...i read more crap on this site about problems with guns that i own or have owned that never happen

Nobody here is saying not to buy it, but denying that these guns haven't had bad production runs is being disingenuous. I say this as someone who would buy an SR1911, too.
What's next, you're going to tell SW1911PD/SC owners from that 2 year period a few years ago that their plunger tubes never fell off? [rofl] (I like Smiths too, but anyone who thinks that they didn't have huge runs of guns with this problem is smoking serious crack. )

Some guns have had problems. I'd rather know about the history of them (and whether they're persistent or not) than not know at all. At least at that point I can decide whether or not it will affect my decision to buy it.

Just like the 4th gen glocks never an issue

How many have you owned? What models? If it's just one or two guns and you only got it in the last year or so, then that's probably why you haven't had a problem. Certain models were also less prone to problems than others. When the guns first came out many of them were horror shows, been there done that got the T shirt.

-Mike

Picked up a Ruger SR 1911 Commander in Jan 14. Nice gun, shoots better than I do. Novak Sights are large and east to aim (old eyes). Gun is very well balanced and feels great in the hand. Very mild recoil and gets back on target. Carries well and the stainless is easy to maintain. Have put about 300 rounds through it with no issues at all, not a single problem right out of the box. Have put just about every type of ammo through it and can't make it fail. A very nice gun at a great price, $600 out the door. Had a S&W full size 1911 and a Remington R1 full size, I like the Ruger better. Ruger has got this commander size down, have not tried the full size SR1911 yet but would highly recommend this commander size Ruger to anyone. Colt has the commander size worked out well and Ruger has also......and yea the sights are still on it, haven't fallen off yet.

Nobody here is saying not to buy it, but denying that these guns haven't had bad production runs is being disingenuous. I say this as someone who would buy an SR1911, too.
What's next, you're going to tell SW1911PD/SC owners from that 2 year period a few years ago that their plunger tubes never fell off? [rofl] (I like Smiths too, but anyone who thinks that they didn't have huge runs of guns with this problem is smoking serious crack. )

Some guns have had problems. I'd rather know about the history of them (and whether they're persistent or not) than not know at all. At least at that point I can decide whether or not it will affect my decision to buy it.

Always the voice of reason. For the record I am a fan of Ruger as well and when I decide it's time for a SS 1911 will definitely consider the SR1911.

I didn't even know about front sight issues until I saw it in this thread because it's not happening on mine, but I'll keep an eye out for it. It appears to be very secure. The good part is that I've dealt with Ruger in the past and I'm not even a little worried that they won't fix it if it has an issue. And they will fix it quickly on their dime.

I didn't even know about front sight issues until I saw it in this thread because it's not happening on mine, but I'll keep an eye out for it. It appears to be very secure. The good part is that I've dealt with Ruger in the past and I'm not even a little worried that they won't fix it if it has an issue. And they will fix it quickly on their dime.

The front sight issue usually happened withinthe first 100-200 rounds it's a non issue now

Bottom line here is that you get what you pay for.
That being said, as for a 1911 that cost under 1K it is one of the better ones you can own.
I have owned 2 of them and sold them both but only because I have way to many of them already and I was able to put the money into something else at the time.
When they come up at a good price you should grab one at least to try.
You can always flip it for something else and then you will know what it is like.

Bottom line here is that you get what you pay for.

In this case my personal opinion is that you get more than you paid for. The SR1911 is made with quality components and fit and finish is excellent. Aside from the sight thing that seems to be under control I haven't met anyone who's had any kind of operational failures including my own and they are dead on accurate. I mentioned it in a previous post but I'll repeat, I seriously would not trade my SR1911 for a Sig or a S&W that both cost more.

How do they do on the resale market? Do they hold value?

One problem there is the guns are so cheap to begin with that only a skinflint is going to buy from you on the back end, unless you did something special to the gun, etc.

As far as your ability to flip it quickly if needed? Probably excellent... but you're going to have to give the buyer an incentive, like a bunch of mags or $100 off what it would cost them normally, etc. It would be a lot easier to sell than say, a Glock 22, or an unmodified M&P, that I have no doubt on.

-Mike

O.K. basscatfrank. It's been 24 hours since your OP. Did you or didn't you take the plunge? If so, share the pictures......[wink]

Not yet as I've run into a dilemma. Being left handed I would have to add an ambi safety. I'm debating on looking at a true left handed 1911 or getting the Ruger and adding the safety. Has anyone here added one to their 1911?

Not yet as I've run into a dilemma. Being left handed I would have to add an ambi safety. I'm debating on looking at a true left handed 1911 or getting the Ruger and adding the safety. Has anyone here added one to their 1911?

Just went to another of my favorite sites: http://rugerforum.net/forums.php and did a quick search for "ambi safety" and quite a bit of info came up referencing SR 1911's. More info than my brain can handle on a Friday afternoon..... anyways, it might make for some interesting reading before you decide.

The Ruger commander stainless looks really nice.
Are there any other 1911s around this price range to compare to?

Which 45 are you guys using and what's the cost and availability of food for this thing?

Just went to another of my favorite sites: http://rugerforum.net/forums.php and did a quick search for "ambi safety" and quite a bit of info came up referencing SR 1911's. More info than my brain can handle on a Friday afternoon..... anyways, it might make for some interesting reading before you decide.

I'd run away from a left handed 1911 $$$$$$$$$

Some safety's are easy to drop in some need fitting. Some need grips that are made for it some don't.

Just buy the gun and once you know the part you want go from there

The SR1911 should be a best bang for the buck gun.

The problem is that many shops are pricing them so they aren't any kind of a deal.

The SR1911 has a wholesale cost in quantities of 1 of $575. Exactly $100 more than a Gen 4 Glock 17,19, 26,22,23,27.

At $675, its a great smoking deal.

At $850, you are now into what it costs to buy something like a STi or a Springfield.

When the SR1911 first came out they were going for $900. That was pure lunacy when at the time $1100 got you a Dan Wesson RZ45.

At $650 its a no brainer. At $700 its still probably worth it. At $800, there's better stuff for just a few bucks more. Especially, if you are a lefty, since for most people, it will cost $125 additional to add a nice ambi safety like an Ed Brown.

Like warwikben said, DO NOT get a dedicated LH gun.

Its pointless and you have the worst of all worlds as far as support goes. I'm a LH shooter and have shot 1911s competitively for years. (I'm not very good but I know how to run them)

An ambi safety is all you need.

If you want to be fast, a shelf style slide release is a must. I prefer to do an overhand slingshot. Its just me. Its the same for every gun I own, so I do it. But using the slide release is faster. And with a release like a Greider (my favorite) its actually faster than a RH person can do it. Rather than reaching and shifting with your thumb like a RH person has to do, you can reach right up with your trigger finger and drop it.

With those two accessories, there's no reason to get a dedicated LH gun.

Don

PS. Part of the other problem is that most 1911 parts don't just drop in. They need to be fitted. So if you have a problem with a LH 1911, you need to find the parts from the company that made it. Then you need to get them fitted. Witha standard 1911, parts are everywhere. Your local gunsmith probably has the parts you need in stock.

........ what's the cost and availability of food for this thing?

I've fed WWB, Federal, Tulammo BrassMax, and regular Tulammo (steel) without any issues. The regular Tulammo steel seems to me to "pop" a little bit more and definitely dirty ups the gun more, but all in all I've had no issues. I like shooting pins and steel, and for that, the ammo I mentioned are just fine. Availability lately has been quite good. For non-Tulammo, I'm purchasing at about $0.38 a round.
I'd really like to get into reloading, as I really like taking the Ruger to the range......a lot.... but that is another subject. [grin]

Like warwikben said, DO NOT get a dedicated LH gun.

If you want to be fast, a shelf style slide release is a must. I prefer to do an overhand slingshot. Its just me. Its the same for every gun I own, so I do it. But using the slide release is faster. And with a release like a Greider (my favorite) its actually faster than a RH person can do it. Rather than reaching and shifting with your thumb like a RH person has to do, you can reach right up with your trigger finger and drop it.

Or you just use your support hand thumb as you are acquiring your grip

PS. Part of the other problem is that most 1911 parts don't just drop in. They need to be fitted. So if you have a problem with a LH 1911, you need to find the parts from the company that made it. Then you need to get them fitted. Witha standard 1911, parts are everywhere. Your local gunsmith probably has the parts you need in stock.

Tell me about it lol . I need to get cash put aside so I can get my mutant hybrid para/Wilson combat/ed brown p14 fitted.( this is where supermoto and other 1911 guys are screaming why!)

I took care of the frame my self . I just don't want to screw up fitting the barrel /bushing/slide lol. I don't feel like buying a cheap slide and parts and tools to learn on when I don't really see my self building enough to off set the cost for tools and learning parts.

You guys have the patience of a two year old. I just posted this yesterday. No, I didn't get it yet but this thread has convinced me I will. I get paid twice a month, next check brings home a SR1911. I'll post the required pics summarily.

Back
Top Bottom