Should I buy a SR1911?

But I recently polished part of the slide on my friends S&W 1911 and couldn't finish the job due to the fact that I could not remove the external extractor without risking damage to the slide.

What makes you think this? You just tap a pin out.

A nice used Colt is in the same price range. Just saying . I was looking at the Sr1911 and the R1 . went to a Gun show checked them all out and bought a used Colt. never looked back. best gun I own. and it came with an amby safety already added. It is still worth what I paid if not more. I go shooting with some buddies they own the SR and R1 they like my Colt the best. not as easy to find if you live in mass like myself. but worth the wait. I do like the SR1911 and is a great value. but you still can do better if you take the time and look. my 2 cents

Lets say you take the gun out of the box and it shoots accurately with no stove pipes, extraction issues or any other issue. Then you replace the factory nub guide rod, spring and extractor with a Wilson Combat full length guide rod, spring and extractor, and it still shoots accurately with no stove pipes, extraction issues or any other issue. Did you make the gun better or did you only make your wallet lighter? I actually don't know what they will say to the general public. The person I got it from knows people and they told him he doesn't have to do anything to the gun.

The guy wants to know if he should buy the gun and that's my input. Buy it. It's a good gun out of the box.

The results of better parts are not always realized when you put them in, sometimes it takes many rounds to see the benefit. Extractors hold a tune better, edge last longer

Nope, just asking a honest question... I have had Lou do work on my M&Ps so I think is work is fine but usually when you make a broad statement such as "this is the best at a given price range" there are qualifying reasons other than "I am Lou "

I have heard other gunsmiths say the same, but usually what they are saying is (summary) "all 1911's are made with relatively crappy parts under $1k so if your going to buy one you might as well buy a cheap one (ruger) so you can bring to to me and spend another $800-$1k making it better"

This is not a negative against Business End, or Ruger.... Just saying there are "bests" for different reasons

Edit: I would whole heartedly agree its is the best 1911 under $750... $750-$1k. I would much prefer STI, SA or S&W

I believe its the best option for a base gun that is avaliable from a dealer in MA.. Free state..Colt SA , DW STI

22,23,30,21,27 and 19. All no problems, never even a bobble. A couple of them when they first came out.

The early 9s may have had some issues but i never ran into it....

As I suspected, only 2 of your guns are in the "kill zone" for Gen4s and even at that, the 21 on average has been OK for most people. 19s were iffy (and still are now, seems to be a matter of luck) None of the others you mentioned really ever had a statistically significant number of problem guns. The first run of 17s out were a ****ing horror show. [rofl] Thankfully Glock makes good in most cases and life goes on.

No doubt some guns have issues repeatedly. But then there is the guy that gets one lemon and cries on 17 different gun forums and all the sudden the gun is a POS.

The problem is it's not usually just "one guy" its dozens of people, and probably tons of others who suffer in silence. I think lying to people or glossing over major gaffes is just being disingenuous and doesn't do anyone any good. Besides, its kinda hysterical. Particularly when S&W made all those M&P .40s and the magazines self ejected constantly. That problem was so endemically bad that even the RENTAL guns at S&W's OWN RANGE were doing it. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited:
Yes. I think the 19 and 17 springs were wrong on the rollout of gen 4 and they replaced them.

Ive never had any issues is all i can say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got one from Gunbroker for $555. First 45 I have actually owned even though I've shot and carried them a long time.

Back
Top Bottom