• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should I buy a SR1911?

You guys have the patience of a two year old. I just posted this yesterday. No, I didn't get it yet but this thread has convinced me I will. I get paid twice a month, next check brings home a SR1911. I'll post the required pics summarily.

When you get paid lol heck I had my 1911 paid for a week before when my ltc was going to come in.

Or you just use your support hand thumb as you are acquiring your grip

Are you talking for a LH person? Or a right handed person. I think right handed person.

But if you are doing a reload from slide lock your support hand is bringing a mag up.

Is this how you drop the slide after a reload? You are undeniably faster than me, so I'm curious.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing. The SR1911 has terrible grips with pressed in "checkering". Figure $50 for grips.

I was on a wait list for 6 months before I received mine. It was definitely worth the wait. It's a great shooter, looks great and you can't beat the price. Pull the trigger on it!

Are you talking for a LH person? Or a right handed person. I think right handed person.

But if you are doing a reload from slide lock your support hand is bringing a mag up.

Is this how you drop the slide after a reload? You are undeniably faster than me, so I'm curious.

For a RH shooter. Mag goes in, the heal of your LH is on the base of the mag. thumb is straight up and fingers go up under triggerguard. This puts your support hand thumb right on the slide release. Hit the slide release and rotate your thumb froward to your normal grip

But I recently polished part of the slide on my friends S&W 1911 and couldn't finish the job due to the fact that I could not remove the external extractor without risking damage to the slide.

[rolleyes]. Of all the reasons for choosing an external vs internal extractor this is hardly one of them.

How many have you owned? What models? If it's just one or two guns and you only got it in the last year or so, then that's probably why you haven't had a problem. Certain models were also less prone to problems than others. When the guns first came out many of them were horror shows, been there done that got the T shirt.

-Mike[/QUOTE]

22,23,30,21,27 and 19. All no problems, never even a bobble. A couple of them when they first came out.

The early 9s may have had some issues but i never ran into it....

No doubt some guns have issues repeatedly. But then there is the guy that gets one lemon and cries on 17 different gun forums and all the sudden the gun is a POS.

Last edited:
The Ruger commander stainless looks really nice.
Are there any other 1911s around this price range to compare to?

Which 45 are you guys using and what's the cost and availability of food for this thing?

For a commander model. Not much out there at that price range. Rock island would be a lower cost/quality option. Id save the extra couple hundred and get the ruger. Remington i think only has a full size but i think stAinless is more. Most remingtons have less in the way of features that the ruger does

I paid 650 for a cmd over a year ago. You dont see them much cheaper than that. Some dealers really price them full retard but that seems to be changing with availability.

Once you get to the 750 range, the smith and others have even more features and get fancier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on what?

Based on his extensive experience working with many brands and models of 1911s. I have heard other smiths say the exact same thing. There are Ruger haters on this site much the same as Glock haters, but having looked at and handled many different 1911s I personally haven't found anything less than $1k that even comes close for quality, features, and overall feel. If you know of others, please feel free to enlighten us though.[wink]

Let's be honest, there are haters of every brand on here. For me, when it comes to 1911s, I love them all. If asked for options under $1000, my answer is Sig XO and Springfield RO. Let the bashing begin...it doesn't bother me.

Based on his extensive experience working with many brands and models of 1911s. I have heard other smiths say the exact same thing. There are Ruger haters on this site much the same as Glock haters, but having looked at and handled many different 1911s I personally haven't found anything less than $1k that even comes close for quality, features, and overall feel. If you know of others, please feel free to enlighten us though.[wink]

Nope, just asking a honest question... I have had Lou do work on my M&Ps so I think is work is fine but usually when you make a broad statement such as "this is the best at a given price range" there are qualifying reasons other than "I am Lou "

I have heard other gunsmiths say the same, but usually what they are saying is (summary) "all 1911's are made with relatively crappy parts under $1k so if your going to buy one you might as well buy a cheap one (ruger) so you can bring to to me and spend another $800-$1k making it better"

This is not a negative against Business End, or Ruger.... Just saying there are "bests" for different reasons

Edit: I would whole heartedly agree its is the best 1911 under $750... $750-$1k. I would much prefer STI, SA or S&W

Last edited:
I am not a smith, but they way it has been explained to me is that for the money the Ruger is a great platform to start a custom build with. Why buy a $1500 1911 just to alter it and replace most of the parts. From what I have been told the Ruger Frame and Slide are machined very well, and lend themselves to the work that makes a nice custom. Other manufactures have Frames and Slides that are out of spec to the point that the work that is required to make a nice custom simply cant be done effectively.

Why buy a $1500 1911 just to alter it and replace most of the parts..

For $1500 you will have a forged frame and decent enough quality internal parts you won't need to replace them.

If your gaol is a full custom pistol, don't buy a $675 ruger on a cast frame and dump $1-$2k in custom work into it.... Just have a pistol built from a bare frame

If you still haven't decided then call Wilson Combat and ask them about the SR1911. I already know what they are going to tell you but you should call them yourself for peace of mind.

Technical Questions: 1-870-545-3618
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 5:30 PM CST

If you still haven't decided then call Wilson Combat and ask them about the SR1911. I already know what they are going to tell you but you should call them yourself for peace of mind.

Technical Questions: 1-870-545-3618
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 5:30 PM CST

What are they going to tell him...?

So the OP asked if he should get a ruger SR1911 and the thread has devolved into how a custom1911 would be better?
Maybe I'm wrong, but he just wanted to know if there were red flags for not buying one...and there aren't. Some front sight issues on some guns, but nothing to the level of "don't buy one." The SR1911 is a great gun.

What are they going to tell him...?

"Yes, we would love to sell you all new parts for your pistol"

- - - Updated - - -

So the OP asked if he should get a ruger SR1911 and the thread has devolved into how a custom1911 would be better?
Maybe I'm wrong, but he just wanted to know if there were red flags for not buying one...and there aren't. Some front sight issues on some guns, but nothing to the level of "don't buy one." The SR1911 is a great gun.

The answer was given pages ago.... The sr1911 is a great value 1911 for $675. Yes there are issues, but no more than any other 1911 in that price range. Issues have included, rust, front sight, extractor, barrel link, trigger slop are a few of the issues I've seen 1st hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok....
Good luck

None needed

Last edited:
"Yes, we would love to sell you all new parts for your pistol"

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The exact opposite. It's well made with quality components and you can take it out of the box and use it without requiring any custom parts to make it better, more reliable or more accurate. I got that from a reliable source who contacted them who's name I won't mention due to privacy.

The exact opposite. It's well made with quality components and you can take it out of the box and use it without requiring any custom parts to make it better, more reliable or more accurate. I got that from a reliable source who contacted them who's name I won't mention due to privacy.

So, you are honestly telling us to call Wilson Combat, who makes $3-$4k 1911's and some of the finest aftermarket parts available and when they pick up the phone they are going to tell us "nope, it's perfect just the way Ruger made it"?

Lets say you take the gun out of the box and it shoots accurately with no stove pipes, extraction issues or any other issue. Then you replace the factory nub guide rod, spring and extractor with a Wilson Combat full length guide rod, spring and extractor, and it still shoots accurately with no stove pipes, extraction issues or any other issue. Did you make the gun better or did you only make your wallet lighter? I actually don't know what they will say to the general public. The person I got it from knows people and they told him he doesn't have to do anything to the gun.

The guy wants to know if he should buy the gun and that's my input. Buy it. It's a good gun out of the box.

The guy wants to know if he should buy the gun and that's my input. Buy it. It's a good gun out of the box.

It has been stated by just about everyone that if your looking for an inexpensive 1911 the Ruger is certainly one of the best of the value models. I'm also reasonably sure the OP has already made his decision

I won't argue the rest of your post with you, as I'm pretty sure it's speaks for itself...

Back
Top Bottom