Safety Bullet and Detering use of stolen firearms in crimes

Safety bullet that renders a firearm useless if fired. Load it as the first in the mag, authorized user will know to rack the slide to get rid of safety bullet, otherwise, safety bullet renders gun unusable. Read on...

From Law Officer Magazine:

Safety Bullet and Firearms Theft

* Paul Laska
* 2009 Jul 10

We read about it weekly, whether in the local paper, on the news feed from LawOfficer.com, or from some other outlet. Another take-home car was burglarized and firearms stolen. It is a national plague, affecting small agencies through mega-agencies, local, state and federal cars. Especially for on-call response officers, such as SWAT members, this is a serious problem, as it is not practical to expect them to empty their vehicle of firearms—patrol rifle, sniper rifle, shotgun, entry SMG, back up handguns. Locks have not been a deterrent—trunk chains have been circumvented, cabinets forced, and in several instances, gun racks removed from their positions and stolen with their contents.

Even officers' home are not sacrosanct. It has long been common for criminals to target a cop's home, looking especially for firearms. Loose firearms are often the prize of choice, but given the time, cabinets and other secure storage have been battered into giving up their contents.

Worse has been the human toll. Many of the firearms are put to use by criminals. Stolen police firearms have turned up in drive by shootings, robberies, and assorted homicides, including cop killings. They have also been stolen as larks by kids out to cop a gun, with no knowledge of firearms safety, and with tragic results, as a kid shoots himself or his buddy because of ignorance. In any of these incidents, the ultimate victim is the officer, who often blames himself for the opportunity for the tragedy to occur.

Enter Mike Worley of Panama City, FL. In the shadow of a local child involved accidental shooting, he considered how a firearm could be made safe from abuse, especially ignorant abuse, without depriving its owner of immediate access for defense. Thus was born the Safety Bullet.

Worley's design outwardly appears to be a plastic bulleted blank. A cartridge case, containing a primer, is loaded with a piston that is connected to a telescoping bullet of Delrin polymer. Safety Bullet is designed to be loaded either in the chamber of a semi-automatic pistol, or the next firing chamber of a revolver. When initiated, the primer generates sufficient energy to push the piston forward, propelling the telescoping bullet forward and expanding into the chamber, with the protruding piston lodged between the cartridge case and the barrel, locking up the firearm.

When purchased, one receives a package with two Safety Bullets in the selected caliber, and a ten inch Delrin rod. The rod is an ejector, used to remove the fired round from the firearm.

Armed with Kimber .45 ACP, Kel-Tec 9mm Luger, and S&W .38 Special firearms, I proceeded to the range with corresponding rounds of Safety Bullets. It was first tested in the Kel-Tec PF-9. A round was chambered, aimed down range, and the trigger pulled. Wearing hearing protectors, I heard nothing. Fearing there had been a misfire, I attempted to pull the slide back—and could not! The action was locked up completely. No amount of manipulation, by me or the others at the range, could force the slide to move. Inserting the rod that accompanied the rounds, I found that it was still not an easy chore to telescope the expander back into the case. Without a hammer, it required beating the rod against a firm surface until the expander had been seated back into the case.

With the Kimber Ultra Carry and S&W 342, similar results were found. In the case of the revolver, one could see the ram occupying the cylinder gap, locking the cylinder to the barrel. One round was fired without hearing protection. The sound was less than that of my .177 CO2 pistol. In each test the rod was beaten heavily to push the ram and expander back into the case. In a later test where my gunsmith hammer was available, it took several blows to reseat the piston-driven bullet.

During research, I found comments on some of the firearms boards about the Safety Bullet. One comment, obviously from one who had not tested it, was that is uses a primer, thus makes a sound which could be mistaken for a gunshot. As my tests found, the sound is so low that it would not be noticed by a third party. Indeed, this may be a shortcoming—louder noise would be call attention to the misuse in progress.

Several comments addressed the fact that proper safety is to not pull the trigger. Agreed. Unfortunately, too many children (and adults) are, first, not taught any aspects of firearms safety, and, second, do not have the respect nor discipline to leave the firearm alone. The Safety Bullet does not prevent one from playing with a firearm, nor from attempting to use it. What it will do is prevent a gunshot, and then render the firearm unusable until one knowledgeable in its use can free up the handgun.

In police work, the Safety Bullet may be a valuable tool for the officer who must store firearms in the vehicle, or accessible in the residence. However, it will also require the officer to train and develop appropriate habits to put the firearm into operation. Should the officer just grab the firearm and attempt to use it, the Safety Bullet will activate and lock up the firearm, as designed. Thus an officer must ingrain the act of cycling the action with a semi-automatic, or swinging opens the cylinder to remove the chambered Safety Bullet. Much like the evolution in holsters, from the Bill Jordan holster so common in 1974 to the Level III security of today, one must train and make a tool's operation second nature before putting it into operation.

The used Safety Bullet may be reloaded. It may be returned to Safety Bullet with a handling fee, where it will be reloaded. The user, if in possession of the appropriate materials, may pull the "bullet," punch the used primer, seat a new primer, and reseat the ram and expander. Being the potential is greater for oil to sneak past the "bullet" than in a normal cartridge, it is a good idea to annually test fire the Safety Bullet and then reload it, rather than face the potential of it failing to function because of a dead primer.

Currently, the Safety Bullet is available in .38 Spl., .357 Magnum, 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. In response to a request from a manufacturer of an AR-15 platform rifle, Mike Worley told me he is developing a 5.56x45mm (.223 Rem.) Safety Bullet, which could be a very welcome addition to the line for use in patrol rifles, entry guns, etc.

The Safety Bullet is not a replacement for a lock or a cabinet. It is a device to permit one to have accessible a firearm for almost immediate use, while keeping it safer from untrained hands. It is an unfortunate fact of 21st century life that ignorance of firearms, lack of respect for others' property, and degrading moral standards has brought us to where firearms need to be locked, secured, or made inoperable even when needed as a tool.

great idea, until you, in a moment of great stress (home invasion/sudden attack) forgot it for a moment, pull the trigger trying to stop the threat against your life, and realize you're armed with an oddly shaped paperweight.

to quote one of my favorite movies... "heavy is good, heavy is reliable, besides, if it doesnt work, you can always hit him with it"

Ridiculous, IMO. I don't want to add failure modes to my gun. I'll keep it locked up or under my direct control, thanks.

Another solution to a non problem.If we keep putting bells and whistles on our guns,it will sound like a 10 piece band instead of Bang.

Solution seeking problem for LTR. Must like long tirades from moonbats, want baby problems and looking for same in partner

[rolleyes] Yeah, the criminals won't think to clear the ammo once this is known to be in the wild...

ETA: I love the rationale. Cops have better things to do than unload their car... Lets see, how that would fly if one of us used that one if our car got broken into after a day at the range?

if a burglar or criminal steals a gun and goes to use it right away isn't he/she more than likely going to pull the slide back to load it instinctively figuring its not loaded or to ensure it is? cycling out the safety bullet in the process. seems like a wasted effort and a good way to ruin your own gun yourself

if a burglar or criminal steals a gun and goes to use it right away isn't he/she more than likely going to pull the slide back to load it instinctively figuring its not loaded or to ensure it is? cycling out the safety bullet in the process. seems like a wasted effort and a good way to ruin your own gun yourself

Good point. I think that's why they come in packs of two!![rofl]

Good point. I think that's why they come in packs of two!![rofl]

For the record, it doesn't destroy the barrel (and the way I read the article it comes with some doo-dad to push the safety bullet out without harming the barrel/etc). Also, the article said you can send back a used safety bullet to have it reloaded.

The only time I see this as a potentially useful thing is with kids. I know in MA you have to have your guns secured unless under your direct control, but, in real world, if a kid picks one of your guns up at least it won't good boom. I see it as "child proofing" just like you would a staircase or kitchen cabinet... not that you should leave your guns out for your younggins to play with, but.... I just hope that the cops don't start using this. I can just see them pulling their weapon on Jonny BadGuy and forgetting its there and disabling their weapon because of some stupid policy set out from "the great above" [rolleyes]

Only way I would use this is, I would put it in guns I am not using (guns in the safe, or any gun left unattended while I am away). I wouldnt have this in a gun I am carrying because of reaction time, and I wouldnt have this in my bedroom gun, because I want the criminal to have as little information about me as possible - if he hears me rack the slide to remove the "stupid" bullet he has my position and knows I am armed.

$3 for a "safety bullet"

9 out of 10: the owner will ruin his own gun.

1 out of 10: the criminal will check it first.

The satisfaction that the Bradys will get: priceless!!!

Lets see how long before this bullet is mandatory for distribution in all new guns in Mass. Maybe they can add a tax on gun sales to pay for it too.[frown]

great idea, until you, in a moment of great stress (home invasion/sudden attack) forgot it for a moment, pull the trigger trying to stop the threat against your life, and realize you're armed with an oddly shaped paperweight.

to quote one of my favorite movies... "heavy is good, heavy is reliable, besides, if it doesnt work, you can always hit him with it"

I disagree.

That would be an awesomely shaped paperweight.

It has long been common for criminals to target a cop's home, looking especially for firearms.

Many of the firearms are put to use by criminals. Stolen police firearms have turned up in drive by shootings, robberies, and assorted homicides, including cop killings.

Since the officers firearms are being targeted by theives clearly the only rational course of action is to disarm the police. [wink]

Don'tcha just love turning moonbat logic around ? [laugh]

when seconds count...
Is it loaded? Is it unloaded? Do I have one of those safety bullets in the chamber?
It's dark, I feel a chamber indicator, Did I put that safety thing in it?

I shudder to think what happens if somebody puts one of these in their carry gun and forgets to remove it in the field..

Anyone who watches TV movies knows that the first thing you do is cycle the slide on a semi or crank the lever action on a rfle or screw the suppressor onto a revolver. Get with the program. Jack.

I think this is a genius idea and invention. Unfortunately it has little practical use outside of a controlled environment, and firearms generally are the control in hostile environments, so this renders what control was had, moot.

Sounds like a gimmick, something Ron Popeil would sell.

But, if people really feel it will keep them or their kids safer, more power to them. Just don't try and force me to buy/use them.

This is a bad idea, but it got me to thinking....

I always worry about leaving my guns when I'm away. Even though they're locked in a safe and I have an alarm. Maybe I'll store a box of double charged rounds in my safe with my guns when I'm out of town.

This invention reminds me of a famous quote:

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend...those with loaded guns and those who dig...you dig."

If you can't place the quote, shame on you!

[laugh]

That movie was on A&E this past weekend. Great "not-too-obscure" referance and a fantastic movie. [grin]

Yup.

No gadget can replace proper safe firearms handling.

No gadget can replace proper safe firearms handling.
Rubber gun squad has worked for the police in the past... [wink]

Kidding, no safety device can or should be relied upon as you say in place of safe handling...

Sadly, this is a lesson that is not only needed for children... [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom