• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet Drop

????
I'm trying to figure out how scope height above bore height would make any kind of difference beyond 100 yards.

Maybe I'm taking this thread too seriously.
Honestly, I have no idea. Going out further will tell me a lot. I will keep you posted. Worst case I just bench shoot at various distances and make a DOPE card based on those results. This is all new to me. Fun figuring out though.

????
I'm trying to figure out how scope height above bore height would make any kind of difference beyond 100 yards.

Because it changes the parabolic trajectory if they’re zeroed at the same distance.

Take two rifles shooting M855. Both zeroed at 100 yards.

If one has an optic with a height over bore of 1.25”, the POI at 200 yards is 3.7” low.

If the optic has a height over bore of 2.75”, the POI at 200 yards is 2.2” low.

If you zero closer, it has a bigger effect.

A 36 yard zero results in the following differences to POI at 200 yards:
1.25” HoB= 2.1” low 200 yard POI
2.75” HoB= 4.7” low 200 yard POI

By inches I mean I have adjusted for the 4 drop already left the app.

So my bullet is behaving like it's going 2550 fps, not 2750 that I'm actually getting on the chrono. I noticed that playing with the altitude in the app makes a difference, so I made it 4,000 feet instead of 5,000. Helped a little.

Will be interesting to see the results at 300 meters, which is the next one out there at our range.
Chrono

What is the bullet you’re shooting. Not just “Hornady”, but what is the grain and bullet type? What temperature did you get your chrono data? What is the velocity? Was it much hotter or colder than when you tried to shoot at 200? Can you post a picture of the group at 200 in relation to the POA? Why are you changing the altitude? Just keep it at the altitude you’re at. Also, in Strelok you can set the zeroing weather (both temperature and altitude).

Also, silly question, but you are using the same aiming point in your reticle at 100 and 200 right?

Last edited:
What is the bullet you’re shooting. Not just “Hornady”, but what is the grain and bullet type? What temperature did you get your chrono data? What is the velocity? Was it much hotter or colder than when you tried to shoot at 200? Can you post a picture of the group at 200 in relation to the POA? Why are you changing the altitude? Just keep it at the altitude you’re at. Also, in Strelok you can set the zeroing weather (both temperature and altitude).

Also, silly question, but you are using the same aiming point in your reticle at 100 and 200 right?
Not a silly question. I'm shooting a leuplod vx5, which allows me to dial. I think if I wasn't dialing the turret, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I know, I know just hold over and call it a day. I'm big on eliminating errors when it comes to shooting animals. My goal is to shoot out to 350 yards and be able to drop the animal on the spot. I know it's not realistic, but trying to eliminate the non human errors.

Not a silly question. I'm shooting a leuplod vx5, which allows me to dial. I think if I wasn't dialing the turret, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I know, I know just hold over and call it a day. I'm big on eliminating errors when it comes to shooting animals. My goal is to shoot out to 350 yards and be able to drop the animal on the spot. I know it's not realistic, but trying to eliminate the non human errors.
The only way to do that is to shoot your rifle and your loads at the ranges you want, and write down the zeros.

Math always works.
Until it doesn't.

????

Sight height at 1.5" gives your typical 1.9 MOA drop at 200 yards when sighted in at 100 yards. Change the sight height to 4" and the drop is only 0.7 MOA at 200 with the 100 yard zero.

Because it changes the parabolic trajectory if they’re zeroed at the same distance.

Take two rifles shooting M855. Both zeroed at 100 yards.

If one has an optic with a height over bore of 1.25”, the POI at 200 yards is 3.7” low.

If the optic has a height over bore of 2.75”, the POI at 200 yards is 2.2” low.

If you zero closer, it has a bigger effect.

A 36 yard zero results in the following differences to POI at 200 yards:
1.25” HoB= 2.1” low 200 yard POI
2.75” HoB= 4.7” low 200 yard POI

Ok, but how does this apply in the real world?
36 yards? Do you mean the first point where the bullet crosses the sight line in its arc? That's not the zero.
I can't imagine a scenario where a person would change scope heights a total of an inch and a half.

I'm missing something here.

Hornady and the Sterlok. I'm going to change the scope height to see what it does. I am slightly higher than before because my objective is larger on the new scope.

Try not playing with all the settings. Instead, only play with the fps until it matches your scope adjustments. See if works when going from 200 to 300.

Ok, but how does this apply in the real world?
36 yards? Do you mean the first point where the bullet crosses the sight line in its arc? That's not the zero.
I can't imagine a scenario where a person would change scope heights a total of an inch and a half.

I'm missing something here.

Yes, 36 yard zero is a thing and it is a zero. If that is the POA/POI range that someone uses to adjust their sights, then it is a zero. It doesn’t automatically mean you also have a 300 yard zero. But if someone only shoots at 36 yards and adjust their sights to have POA/POI at 36 yards, then it is indeed the zero. A 36 yard zero. The USMC zeroed at 36 yards. The Army does an offset zero at 25 yards and rarely validates at range. So, stuck with that offset 25 yard zero. And lots of people zero at 50 yards. Their intent is to also have POA/POI crossing at about 200 too, but many never validate and they live with that 50 yard zero.

As for applicability in real life, no, people aren’t likely going to be adjusting their optics by 1.5” in height. That’s not the point. The point is that if someone doesn’t put the correct optic height into their ballistic calculator, then there can be differences in their POI compared to what the calculator says.

The only way to do that is to shoot your rifle and your loads at the ranges you want, and write down the zeros.

Math always works.
Until it doesn't.

Yes, getting actual DOPE is important. Validating at ranges you intend to shoot and noting those come-ups is important.

But ballistic calculators are extremely accurate these days. When someone can plug in their data, and the weather data, and hit a 1.5 MOA target at 1k yards on the first shot based on the ballistic calculator, the math of ballistic calculators is not the problem.

There are variables such as minor BC fluctuations among the bullets, powder temperature sensitivity, etc that can be hard to take into account in the calculators, yes.

But none of those variables would result in being several inches off of the expected POI the calculator says, at 200 yards. In that case it’s not the math that’s the problem, it’s the data entered into the calculator or something on the shooter.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying now. Just a difference in terminology.
I always considered the point where the bullet flight crosses the sight line on its way down the actual zero (100,200,300, etc). The first point where it crosses (36 , 40, etc) is an incidental and irrelevant number to me, UNLESS you want to know your "point blank" zero.

Now, with that being said, in military qualifications, which I think where this discussion went, everybody is shooting the same rifle, same ammo. A short-range zero is very useful, more efficient, predictable, and quicker, because it will always be the same. Plus you can qualify on a 50yd range.

When I say math works until it doesn't, I meant exactly what you said: operator error. Wrong, or assumed correct info that is input would be the cause for errors.

I see what you're saying now. Just a difference in terminology.

Yeah, my definition of zero is the range at which you set up your target and adjust your sights to ensure POA/POI (or a specific offset for the POI). This could be either the first or second cross-point in the trajectory. It’s just wherever you’re physically confirming impacts to adjust the sights.

We finally got back out there. Shot at 300 meters. Once I set my scope height to 1.25 things appear to have fallen into place. @PappyM3 or @Mountain or both of you, thank you for the comment about scope height.

Looking forward to trying 600 meters and shooting 300 meters off our packs and trekking poles.

And my wife. Damn. She just gets more accurate the farther out we shoot. 6.5 creedmor, savage lady hunter and a leupold vx3i. We put the custom dial on there for elevation and it's dead on. 330 yards? No problem, just turn the dial to 330 and let it rip. She was always within 2 inches of the bullseye.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom