• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 acp 1911 bullet question

NH Phantom

NES Member
I’ve got about 500 of one and 1000 of another of these bullets. 45acp.
Wondering if they would feed correctly through a 1911. I have a Wilson Combat. Looking at some of their videos they say that round nose bullets are the best to use. I also have a HK MK23 but I think that will take just about anything. Just concerned about the 1911

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    827.2 KB · Views: 19
Worst case you might have to adjust COAL to get your 1911 to eat them but it should not be insurmountable. I'd load up a few test ladders and
test it out (like 20 or 30 rounds. If you get jams then adjust something. I had one kind of 230 RNL where the bullet was too dome shaped and the 1911 didn't like that. So those would only run at a relatively short COAL of like 1.230, sitll safe but way shorter than what I usually had to do for .45 ACP (I used to load them at like 1.255 to 1.265 for 230 RN bullets usually).

Lee 228-1R mold is an issue.
Nose is too spherical to load to normal COAL.
If you measure a lyman or RCBS 230g RN length and set the Lee to the same seating depth they usually run fine, but they look weird AF.

Lee 228-1R mold is an issue.
Nose is too spherical to load to normal COAL.
If you measure a lyman or RCBS 230g RN length and set the Lee to the same seating depth they usually run fine, but they look weird AF.

Lol yes that one is exactly the culprit I have. I still have a tupperware container in my basement with about 200 of those things
in it. [rofl] The friend I was making bullets with eventually got a different mold from lee which had more of a "taper" to the bullet profile, those worked fine even long, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom