S&W Model 1911 SC - Opinions?

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
26,309
Likes
19,641
Location
Western Mass
Feedback: 104 / 0 / 0
A friend has a blued S&W 1911SC which he wants to sell. He wants a Sig P220 (which I have and am considering selling/trading). I looked it over today and it seems to have a nice feel to it. Two points I am concerned about: the sharply stipled flat MSH and if it feeds HP ammo reliably.

Does anyone have any experience with this pistol and have any opinions either good or bad?

Thanks.
 
I have the Base-modle S&W 1911, and as far as HP ammo, this baby will eat whatever I feed it.

It will only double-feed if you don't seat the magazine.

it's the most reliable 1911 I've ever shot (And the first 1911 I've shot that wasn't older than I 8) )

Arrr

-Weer'd Beard
 
I have one and have only put about 200 rounds through it. It's a little snappy compaired to the P220 ST that I sold to pick up this one.

It had no problem feeding CCI hollow points and Winchester White Box.

I do plan on sending it to S&W to get an ambi-safety and maybe some night sights.

Over all I like it, but I do plan on getting some more rounds through it once my holster comes in from Milt Sparks (12- 16 week wait [cry] ).
 
I posted this query on four different forums and so far everyone is positive on the 1911SC. I am going to give it a good long look.

I do like Sigs, but for some reason the P220 just doesn't have the right "feel" like my other Sigs do.
 
the DAY I got my permit I HAD to get a 1911. So I popped down to Coin Collectors and grabbed my S&W1911. I love it to death....but just to make sure I wasn't just crazy, I spent a few hours reading every forum with S&W1911 in the subject line. Seems I'm far from the only one who doesn't love them.

The most common complaint about them was the "Billboard" on the slide.

I kinda like it, but I can see where some people might find the HUGE "S&W1911" witten on the slide detracting.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard
 
Weer'd Beard said:
the DAY I got my permit I HAD to get a 1911. So I popped down to Coin Collectors and grabbed my S&W1911. I love it to death....but just to make sure I wasn't just crazy, I spent a few hours reading every forum with S&W1911 in the subject line. Seems I'm far from the only one who doesn't love them.

The most common complaint about them was the "Billboard" on the slide.

I kinda like it, but I can see where some people might find the HUGE "S&W1911" witten on the slide detracting.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard



Anytime you want, you could rev up your polishing wheel...I have a S&W 625 that the prior owner polished to a chrome gloss, taking most of the badges like those on the 1911 with it. Looks fab.
 
I kinda like it, but I can see where some people might find the HUGE "S&W1911" witten on the slide detracting.

It's not that bad to me...I can live with it.
 
FPrice said:
I kinda like it, but I can see where some people might find the HUGE "S&W1911" witten on the slide detracting.

It's not that bad to me...I can live with it.


I agree. Also, from behind the trigger, who the heck can see the billboard, anyway? [lol]


I have two 1911 S&W pistols, a scandium four-inch and a stainless five-inch. I love 'em both. Utterly reliable, will feed just about anything, and as accurate as you could ever want.
 
Two points I am concerned about: the sharply stipled flat MSH

After buying mine and shooting it, I found that the straight MSH was digging into the heel of my hand, So I had a medium sized one
installed and now it feels fine. The dealer also replace the trigger,lightened the trigger pull and smoothed out the action. Just about perfect now. [lol]
 
Well, we shot each other's pistols this past Sunday and when it was all over we agreed to swap. It was an even trade - mine was worth more money but he was offering more accessories. And he took care of the transfer fees with our FFL.

The attached photo is part of the reason I wanted to swap. We set up targets at the base of a tall birm but because of an adjacent rifle range we had to shoot from 50 yards. My first eight shots were at this target, the rest were at the birm in hopes of getting some snow kicked up to see where my shots were impacting. When we went downrange to retrieve our targets this was what I found. All eight shots from my first magazine hit this IPSC target from 50 yards. This with milsurp GI 230gr ball ammo. THAT is a good pistol from my point of view. Hopefully I can continue to do this well in the future with my new S&W Model 1911SC.

Try as I might, I just couldn't shoot my P220 that well even though my other Sigs shoot well for me.

SC1911Target.jpg
 
Ray P said:
In-state transfers require an FFL in MA?!?!? Shock & disbelief. Wow.

Don't forget, Ray, you can only sell 4 guns per year on your LTC. Sell more, and you're a dealer. :( When I swapped my P10 for a COP .357 and an Airweight, I had to have them transferred to me through an FFL since Howie had already sold 4 guns this year.
 
Moderator said:
Ray P said:
Frosty:
he took care of the transfer fees with our FFL.

In-state transfers require an FFL in MA?!?!? Shock & disbelief. Wow.

No, In Ma if instate they don't but some people would rather have an FFL do it to avoid confusion or just the hassle of it at all.


Additionally, per our state's laws, one can sell no more than four firearms per year privately, then all subsequent transactions for the year must be completed via an FFL.
 
Cross-X said:
Moderator said:
Ray P said:
Frosty:
he took care of the transfer fees with our FFL.

In-state transfers require an FFL in MA?!?!? Shock & disbelief. Wow.

No, In Ma if instate they don't but some people would rather have an FFL do it to avoid confusion or just the hassle of it at all.


Additionally, per our state's laws, one can sell no more than four firearms per year privately, then all subsequent transactions for the year must be completed via an FFL.

Cross,

What is the reasoning for that? I can see maybe they don't want people running a gun business, but four is such a small number.
 
We could have done a straight swap with no transfer fee and it would have been no problem. It would have been my second personal transfer this fall but would have allowed me only two more under the current rules and I have a lot more guns I am trying to sell. This leaves me a little more latitude for private deals.
 
dwarven1 said:
Ray P said:
In-state transfers require an FFL in MA?!?!? Shock & disbelief. Wow.

I had to have them transferred to me through an FFL since Howie had already sold 4 guns this year.

Yes, Howie probably blew thru the 4 guns swap/sold limit within the first month of the year! [lol] [lol] [lol]

Even his Father (FFL) admitted to me that Howie changes gun interests almost as often as he changes his clothes! [lol] Howie will also admit the same when you get to know him.
 
derek said:
Cross-X said:
Moderator said:
Ray P said:
Frosty:
he took care of the transfer fees with our FFL.

In-state transfers require an FFL in MA?!?!? Shock & disbelief. Wow.

No, In Ma if instate they don't but some people would rather have an FFL do it to avoid confusion or just the hassle of it at all.


Additionally, per our state's laws, one can sell no more than four firearms per year privately, then all subsequent transactions for the year must be completed via an FFL.

Cross,

What is the reasoning for that? I can see maybe they don't want people running a gun business, but four is such a small number.


That is the only reason that I can think of that has even a little bit of logic.

I think there may be a similar law limiting the number of used cars one may sell privately in one year without first obtaining a used car dealer's license.
 
Darius, can you please clarify one issue?

Is it 4 guns/within 12 months?

Or is the clock reset every January 1st?

This question comes up frequently and although I've researched it before, I don't really recall the answer (a citation would be useful . . . I suspect it would be a CMR). I don't usually sell my guns (although I will have 1-3 for sale shortly) so I don't usually pay attention to this issue.
 
Back
Top Bottom