S&W 638 or Ruger LCR??? hhmmmm

I am not sure which I want to get for CC. The Ruger is light for easier carry, but it will bite more than the 638. The 638 in the "grey" finish is not for me, but I like the shrouded hammer for single action.

O boy, choices choices.

Any help from the owners of either of these?

Tough choice. Until the LCR came along I would have gone strongly with the Smith j-frame. But the LCR really feels good (no, I do not have one).

I still like the Smith Model 38/49 shrouded hammer concept. I like having the ability to thumb-cock a revolver if I feel it is warranted.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

For me it was a choice between a 442 and the LCR. I liked the trigger on the LCR better. Personally I don't think there is any need for SA on a defensive snub. It's liability and/or a crutch.

Opinions vary.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I don't think it serves a useful purpose. If you decide to carry a snub you should practice it like you intend to use it. What good does it to you to cock the hammer and fire it SA in practice when in a defensive situation you'll be shooting DA? The only benefit of the hammer I see is you can perform a high primer check.

Who says that just because a revolver has a hammer that you can't practise DAO with it?

I like it because it gives me an option I like. If you don't like it, don't buy one. Makes more available for the rest of us.

In any case the OP asked for help and giving him several different views might give him thoughts to mull over.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I don't think it serves a useful purpose. If you decide to carry a snub you should practice it like you intend to use it. What good does it to you to cock the hammer and fire it SA in practice when in a defensive situation you'll be shooting DA? The only benefit of the hammer I see is you can perform a high primer check.

go at it boys! good points and taking notes over here [grin]

In addition you could fire a hammerless inside a coat pocket without the hammer getting caught up. I'm a Smith guy so you know where I'm going.

If you can get out to Westford you are more than welcome to try my LCR. I have a friend that has a 442 that I could probably get to show up or borrow it.

FPrice: you're right, choices are good. However, I fear that many people, given the option, will go the easy route and shoot it SA rather than practice it in DA.

I'm guessing that you are comparing these for concealed carry use? I dont understand how the color has any deciding factor on a gun that is designed not to be scene.

I had a LCR nice little gun, its amazingly light.

I just don't like the finish on it. It is for CC yes. The two major points for me are accuracy, weight, and concealment.

If you can get out to Westford you are more than welcome to try my LCR. I have a friend that has a 442 that I could probably get to show up or borrow it.

Thanks for the invite Ike, but to be honest I have no clue where Westford is! West? [laugh]

I would love to try them both, it would make it easier to decide. Maybe there is a member reading this from Braintree R&P that can let me squeeze a few at the club.

Hey bump!

What kind of TP do you use?

I'll bet that we can get a real discussion going....

[smile]

It actually all boils down to which one you like and feel most comfortable with. Both will get the job done.

I wish I didn't like the LCR, but I do. I shot drgrant's a lot one afternoon and other than the grip, (too small for me), it is a nice gun. Still, given the choice, I'd stick with my 642CT.

howcome, what is the big difference between the 2? what makes you like your 642ct other then the fact that its yours and you paid your money for it.

I wish I didn't like the LCR, but I do. I shot drgrant's a lot one afternoon and other than the grip, (too small for me), it is a nice gun. Still, given the choice, I'd stick with my 642CT.

Give the aftermarket some time. I've got large hands and it is a bit of a handful. The gun kind of torques in my hand. Shooting a cylinder my trigger finger gets further and further into the trigger guard with each shot. I still manage to keep them in the -0 at a snub appropriate distance.

BTW: I'm carrying Speer gold dot 135gr +P short barrel based on some of your posts [smile].

Back
Top Bottom