• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt Python 2.5 or S&W 686 2.5

I absolutely agree! If only you could actually buy the darned thing in MA, it would be even better! LOL!!

full

Frank

IMG_5914.png

Yes, it has a frame but you'd have to deal with an FFL willing to do a frame transfer and have someone remove the barrel and cylinder. Not a DIY project. There are very few off list revolvers that can be easily transfered in Ma. Open top and conversion revolvers are all I can think of.

Yes, it has a frame but you'd have to deal with an FFL willing to do a frame transfer and have someone remove the barrel and cylinder. Not a DIY project. There are very few off list revolvers that can be easily transfered in Ma. Open top and conversion revolvers are all I can think of.
Wut?

Take the cylinder out and call it a day.

No need to remove the barrel.

Some cylinders come out with one screw.

I asked my guy a few years ago and he said it was no big deal just remove the cylinder.

That's pretty easy. I thought it meant no cylinder and no barrel. I'm sure this nonsense greatly deters crime in this wonderful state.

It depends on how fast a reload you want to do? The cylinder release on a S&W is more conducive to quicker cylinder release and reloads. Also if it is a new manufactured Colt remember these are not the Colts of the past. An older Python will hold its value better then th S&W because of the market. If you want a real work horse and a revolver as a tool the S&W is the way to go. There is nothing better then a S&W cylender release for reloads and the revolver action on the S&W can easily be made to be smooth and much lighter to the trigger feel then the Colt. Both are fine guns with the Colt you have better bragging rights with the S&W you have a reliable work horse. It's up to you what you are really looking for, Colt a barbecue gun or a S&W a utility tool.
In my opinion and it is only my opinion because I have Don action work on all of these guns stay away from Ruger revolvers, clunky action. much harder to smoth out and they are cast not forged also they do not hod there value like the Smith or the Colt that should tell you something right there.

Korth is the best, however out of the OP price range if he is looking at Colt and Smith&Wesson. If he was interested and could purchase a Korth he would not be asking these questions what should purchase he would have purchased a Korth by now.

Korth is the best, however out of the OP price range if he is looking at Colt and Smith&Wesson. If he was interested and could purchase a Korth he would not be asking these questions what should purchase he would have purchased a Korth by now.
We here at NES have no respect for the OP’s budget in any thread asking for advice with price limits.

You should know that by now. Lol

ETA: go look at the watch thread.

I'd still take the Colt, better looking. Korths are too bling bling.

Not sure about the colt, but with the smith you may want to consider 3" over 2.5" so you have a full length ejector rod for reliable brass ejection. Probably applies to the Colt as well, can someone confirm?

Do you have first hand experience with a Korth? Do you own one? You say its the best with such conviction. How is that?

Yes I have had one in the past. They are very nice, however for the price diffrence I really like S&W revolvers. There are a lot of reasons to chose a S&W over a Korth.
1. You don't want to scratch or holster ware your Korth, S&W is not such a worry.
2. The S&W cylinder latch is more conducive to quicker reloads
3. S&W revolver action is much easier to work on the, Korth is already smooth but springs and custom parts are not available.
4. The Korth is a barbecue gun the S&W is a utility tool
5. The Korth is really not a protection carry gun it is a target gun, even though you could use the S&W as a target gun it is better served as a carry protection gun.
6. You really don't have to look beyond the price diffrence. Even though the Korth is a very nice gun it really doesn't command the 5k.price, at around 1k. the S&W 686 is a bargain for what you are getting

Back
Top Bottom