• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt Python 2.5 or S&W 686 2.5

Echo 225

NES Member
Came across a coffee can with some money in it thinking about revolver, but I can’t make up mind
Colt Python 2.5 barrel

Or
Smith and Weston 686 2.5 barrel

Very open suggestion from the brain trust
Dave

If it is 2.5" they you are looking at old Pythons figure $3000. Smiths you can get for $800-1500 depending on vintage.

Stock the Python trigger is better. A new Smith can be had in 7 shot which is cool. And you can tune the trigger for about $150. Your choice

I had a 2" stainless Python. I have a 3", 7 shot 686 now. I prefer the the 686. I've had 3 pythons and 5, 686's. I prefer the 686 by far. The 686 cylinder latch pushes forward to open with just your thumb. The Python latch has to be pulled back and requires two hands to pull it back. One to hold the gun and one to pull the latch back. The 686 only requires one hand to operate the latch. Just my opinion.

Old Pythons look much better but are very delicate and go out of time pretty easily. It will be harder to find someone good enough to fix it when the time comes. If you want a beautiful gun, get the Python. If you want a shooter, get the S&W. I know nothing about the durability of the new Python.

I've have several 2.5" 686 revolvers both with and without the lock and a few 2.5 Pythons. I definitely recommend the new 2.5 Python. The build quality is better overall. Not only does it shoot great, it is also the best looking current production snubby, imo.

Attachments

• IMG_8878.jpeg
    IMG_8878.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
GP100 or Python. I wouldn't buy a new S&W.
Oh c'mon. I've had several of the 1990's 686'. Got my first 686 in 1990. Now I have a newer hillary hole 3" 8 shot 686. I appreciate having 7 shots rather than 6 and find no noticeable difference in quality. Your welcome to try mine and see for yourself if you like. I'll even supply the ammo.

I've have several 2.5" 686 revolvers both with and without the lock and a few 2.5 Pythons. I definitely recommend the new 2.5 Python. The build quality is better overall. Not only does it shoot great, it is also the best looking current production snubby, imo.
No question in my mind that the 2.5" Python is by far the best looking snubby available ever.

No question in my mind that the 2.5" Python is by far the best looking snubby available ever.
I absolutely agree! If only you could actually buy the darned thing in MA, it would be even better! LOL!!

full

Frank

Back
Top Bottom