Ruling in Palmer v. D.C handed down, Gura wins again

[smile] Ok, ok- fixed it, LOL! RIP Dad, though if he could see this he'd be laughing. Just pushups for penance, since it would be a sin to puke and waste a good beer.

OMG, of all his flying destinations, did he ever hate layovers in DC. Of the two times he was held up, I think I would have preferred to see the time he was unarmed and told the mugger to FO. Seriously, he thought worse of DC than he did of Ky Ha.

At least today airline pilots can be certified to carry on the job. I wonder how this works in various libtard jurisdictions like DC or Newark. Maybe interesting for a separate thread before I drift an important one like this any further...

Airline pilots who are authorized to carry guns on planes are deputized as federal LEO. This would automatically give them protection in any US territory. Further, I'm guessing that they would also be eligible under the LEOPA to carry after retirement in such restricted jurisdictions, but IANAL

Emily Miller just posted this on FB:

DC City Council Chairman Phil Mendelson emailed me this reaction to the federal court ruling in Palmer that the gun carry ban is unconstitutional: "Because of the District's unique national security concerns, the right to carry a firearm in public must be more heavily restricted than any place else in the nation. Four U.S. presidents have been assassinated by gunfire, and at least five others have been shot at, including Ronald Regan who was seriously wounded in 1981. Neither the Secret Service nor the Capitol Police will disclose all incidents where they have recovered firearms, but we do know that just two years ago someone hit the White House with gunfire, and there are frequent threats on the foreign diplomatic corps."

If politicians are too afraid of armed citizens they can go into a different line of work.

IANAL. So thats it?? Can it ever be challenged??

Anything can be challenged. The question is, what is the chance of winning. In the case of the MA storage requirements, I don't see that Heller v. DC directly helps us. MA law allows you to carry a gun while in your house. DC law prevented you from doing so.

DC City Council Chairman Phil Mendelson emailed me this reaction to the federal court ruling in Palmer that the gun carry ban is unconstitutional: "Because of the District's unique national security concerns, the right to carry a firearm in public must be more heavily restricted than any place else in the nation. Four U.S. presidents have been assassinated by gunfire, and at least five others have been shot at, including Ronald Regan who was seriously wounded in 1981. Neither the Secret Service nor the Capitol Police will disclose all incidents where they have recovered firearms, but we do know that just two years ago someone hit the White House with gunfire, and there are frequent threats on the foreign diplomatic corps."

I wonder how many of those incidents would have been prevented by draconian anti-gun laws.

If politicians are too afraid of armed citizens they can go into a different line of work.

Or if they just did their job such that people didn't want to kill them, that might work, too.

Americans have bought into the idea that elected officials are a superior class to be adored and protected at all costs rather than public servants who would take the jobs despite the risks. Politicians are celebrities, and celebrities are worshiped.

Airline pilots who are authorized to carry guns on planes are deputized as federal LEO. This would automatically give them protection in any US territory. Further, I'm guessing that they would also be eligible under the LEOPA to carry after retirement in such restricted jurisdictions, but IANAL
True as for possession, but I think they are very limited in their "carry loaded and concealed rights". For example, although they are federal officers, I think they have to carry their gun in a case until they are in the plane.

Emily Miller just tweated that DC Chief Lanier just granted full reciprocity to all states carry permits. The police can only arrest DC resident for not having a registered gun. Wow!

Emily Miller just tweated that DC Chief Lanier just granted full reciprocity to all states carry permits. The police can only arrest DC resident for not having a registered gun. Wow!
Um... That doesn't make any sense and will get them in even more trouble with the courts than saying nothing. [thinking]

Great, for everyone else, if true, but seems too good/ridiculous to be true.

Any DC resident can open or concealed carry as long as it's registered. Any non DC resident can carry as long as they have a permit from their home state. Seems good for now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Any DC resident can open or concealed carry as long as it's registered. Any non DC resident can carry as long as they have a permit from their home state. Seems good for now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Oh, that is a little better, I misunderstood.

.. but still surprising. I'd have expected them to say nothing until a stay was filed first thing tomorrow AM.

So are people carrying today in DC, either openly or concealed? If so, is it residents, non-residents, or both? Any photos? This is all very interesting. Regarding a "stay", does that mean the law does not take effect? What happens between the decision, and this so-called "stay"; in other words, today or until this "stay" happens?

Thanks.

Um... That doesn't make any sense and will get them in even more trouble with the courts than saying nothing. [thinking]

Great, for everyone else, if true, but seems too good/ridiculous to be true.

Emily Miller @EmilyMiller · 1h

STUNNING DEVELOPMENT: DC Police Chief Lanier just told force not to arrest a person who can legally carry a gun in DC or any state.

More -- DC police chief using guidance from AG -- grants full reciprocity for all open and concealed carry from others states.

Emily Miller @EmilyMiller · 38m

Only gun arrests now in DC can be DC residents with unregistered guns and non-residents who are prohibited under federal laws.

Emily miller will be on Fox New at 6:20 to talk about the ruling. Should be interesting what conversations she's had with the DC police, DA, etc.

Just thinking. Maybe DC accepts the ruling then sets up licensing like NJ or HI aka they have gun licensing but you are never going to get one. A defacto ban. Drake was declined by SCOTUS so NJ's system wasn't something SCOTUS wanted to touch now.

Last edited:
Great. Now they just need a Vermont resident to sign on as a plaintiff to continue the case. [pot]

EmilyMiller said:
Only gun arrests now in DC can be DC residents with unregistered guns and non-residents who are prohibited under federal laws.
Or maybe not, where was the mention of non-resident needing a home state permit?

Sounds like the police are just throwing in the towel. Maybe they either see the light, or want to see what happens.

It's constitutional carry until a license process or a stay of the decision pending appeal. I assume they'll ask for a stay monday.

Now would be the time for adam kokesh to carry. He wouldn't be in jail.
Since an unconstitutional law is void, he might be able to get his plea tossed and the charges dropped.

Hey I didn't read it... did the ruling cover ammo?

This wont last but for right now......

Far fvcking out, man!

Right on! Cool!

(Yeah I know I just dated myself, but it feels good if only for a few hours.)

ROADTRIP!!! Who's in? Acela train to DC...?

STUNNING DEVELOPMENT: DC Police Chief Lanier just told force not to arrest a person who can legally carry a gun in DC or any state.

Not that Emily's tweets are law, but if this wording is correct then since anyone can constitutionally carry in several states including Vermont, then that would mean everyone but DC residents can carry in DC without a permit. And why not DC residents?

I doubt that was the intent of the CoP though. I'd like to read his own words, orders and legal opinion on it.

Last edited:
Also... My new computer wallpaper and if I was 40 years younger, maybe a poster over my bed of this rock star.

Dick_Heller_100.jpg

Dick Heller

Legal question for the more savvy out there... how can a stay be issued so easily when I federal court deams a government action an abridgement on individuals constitutional rights? That makes no sense.

Shouldnt our system take the ruling as a default until an appeal goes through? These are fundamental rights of the people...

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

True as for possession, but I think they are very limited in their "carry loaded and concealed rights". For example, although they are federal officers, I think they have to carry their gun in a case until they are in the plane.

I have friends in the FFDO program and that is correct. They say the biggest PinTA is flying to London, where they're treated like criminals as their guns are confiscated for the duration of their layover.

We should also keep in mind the instruction "not to arrest" means carriers might be let go after being detained and cuffed while police seek another charge on which to arrest. There are _always disturbing the peace_ and _resisting arrest_.

Back
Top Bottom