• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruling in Palmer v. D.C handed down, Gura wins again

"In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia’s total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny. Therefore, the Court finds that the District of Columbia’s complete ban on the carrying of handguns in public is unconstitutional. Accordingly, the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.4 Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District."

Opinion can be found here (PDF).

"In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia’s total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny. Therefore, the Court finds that the District of Columbia’s complete ban on the carrying of handguns in public is unconstitutional. Accordingly, the Court grants Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment and enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of D.C. Code § 7-2502.02(a)(4) and enforcing D.C. Code § 22-4504(a) unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.4 Furthermore, this injunction prohibits the District from completely banning the carrying of handguns in public for self-defense by otherwise qualified non-residents based solely on the fact that they are not residents of the District."

Opinion can be found here (PDF).
Yay!

This seems like a step in the right direction. Now if they could use this to strike down Boston's effective ban on carrying.

Two things:

1. Imma gonna apply for a DC non-resident LTC as soon as I possibly can. Just because.

2. Alan Gura has done more for the 2nd Amendment than any other individual in the last 100 years. I'm making a donation to the SAF right now.

This seems like a step in the right direction. Now if they could use this to strike down Boston's effective ban on carrying.

with the appeal process that is going to be added with the other crap coming down the line i wonder if it will open the door for people who are already restricted to get it removed

BTW, this decision took FIVE YEARS to reach this point. The first judge retired without ruling and it was reassigned in 2012.

Absolutely ridiculous.

This is just a district court ruling. You can expect that DC will appeal to the DC Circuit. In the meantime DC will seek to have the ruling stayed pending the appeal.

If the judge sees it as unlikely the appeal would succeed, don't they reject the stay most of the time? I don't see how an appeal would be considered likely to win.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, this decision took FIVE YEARS to reach this point. The first judge retired without ruling and it was reassigned in 2012.

Absolutely ridiculous.

It is ridiculous, they let it sit forever on purpose.

Here is the post at Alan gura's website. http://alangura.com/2014/07/victory-in-palmer-v-d-c/

Still it's a victory. Since the case will be looked at in the light most favorable to the non moving party, the District's hill is higher to climb. That's for those who don't know that, which of course you do.

This is just a district court ruling. You can expect that DC will appeal to the DC Circuit. In the meantime DC will seek to have the ruling stayed pending the appeal.

Alan Gura has done more for the 2nd Amendment than any other individual in the last 100 years. I'm making a donation to the SAF right now.
Probably the best example of how some immigrants are better Americans than 99.99% of the people born in this country.

The problem with this decision is that Alan is not frequently in Boston, so it is hard to buy him a beer. I guess a donation to SAF will have to suffice.

- - - Updated - - -

If the judge sees it as unlikely the appeal would succeed, don't they reject the stay most of the time? I don't see how an appeal would be considered likely to win.
Judges often rule in light of what they would like to see as public policy, not where the law leads. The odds of this decision surviving appeal are unfortunately slim, and a stay is all but assured.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Here is a piece on why it took 5 years. The 2nd judge was the one slow walking it.

Washington, D.C. is the only place in the country where no one is allowed to legally carry a gun outside the home.District residents are trying to challenge the law in court, but the justice system has denied them due process. The almost five-year delay in Palmer v. District of Columbia is so extreme that some suspect political games.
In August 2009, Tom Palmer and three other D.C. residents filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court that said the total ban on carrying firearms -- open or concealed -- violated their Second Amendment rights.
On Tuesday, Alan Gura, the attorney for the Palmer case, filed a second writ of mandamus with the U.S. Court of Appeals asking it to force the lower court to issue a decision.
He will not speculate on the reason for the long wait, but says this is not normal.
"Delays of this nature are very uncommon -- especially when you have a case where people are claiming that their fundamental civil rights are being violated," the attorney said in an interview with Fox 5 on Friday.
Gura was also Dick Heller’s attorney in the 2008 landmark Supreme Court case that overturned the District’s 30-year total ban on handguns. After the Heller decision, D.C. technically abided by that ruling by establishing a complicated firearms registration system.
In addition, the city passed a law in 2009 that prohibited open and concealed carry of firearms, which prompted the Palmer lawsuit.
"The ban is obviously unconstitutional. I don’t think there's any doubt of that,” said Gura, who represents the Second Amendment Foundation. "People have a right to carry a handgun for self defense, which Heller confirmed."
The Palmer case has been in legal limbo several times.
Judge Henry Kennedy was the first judge assigned to the case. He heard oral argument in Jan. 2010 but retired without issuing a ruling.
Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts intervened in July 2011 and reassigned the case to Judge Frederick Scullin of New York.
Even then, Scullin took over a year to rehear arguments. After the judge heard from both sides in Oct. 2012, he promised that he would make a decision “within a short period of time.”
While a “short period of time” can be interpreted to mean different things, a 20-month delay in issuing a district court decision is so rare that many find it suspicious.
This is the second time that Gura has asked the appeals court to intervene. After a year of waiting for Scullin to issue his ruling, the lawyer filed a writ of mandamus to the appeals court. In Dec. 2013, the court denied the request, saying that the delay was not “egregious or unreasonable.” But Scullin is still radio silent.
Fed up, Gura filed the second writ in which he wrote that the persistent delay is “unconscionable” and “fundamentally unfair.” (Disclosure: In the writ, Gura quoted from a column I wrote in The Washington Times titled “Justice Delayed is Justice Denied.”)
In contrast, Illinois, the last state that denied carry rights, went from being challenged in district court in May 2011 to giving out concealed carry permits in just two years. That even includes the six months that the legislature took to write the new laws.
Both sides in the Palmer case agree that no matter who wins at the district level, the case will be appealed, and likely ultimately the Supreme Court will be asked to hear it.
George Lyon is one of the four other plaintiffs in the Palmer case. He has legally-registered guns in his D.C. home, but he can’t use them for self-defense past his front door.
“I would like to be able to make a decision when and where to have the tools to protect myself,” explained Lyon. “I may not carry a gun everywhere I go in the District of Columbia, but I may carry a gun late at night when I walk my dog or any other time I feel it’s necessary for personal protection.”
While Lyon and his fellow plaintiffs in Palmer say they have the right to bear arms, D.C. says it can outlaw gun carry because it is unique as the seat of the federal government.
The District’s political leaders and government attorneys argue that allowing people to legally have guns puts at risk the life of the president, members of Congress and Supreme Court justices -- even though all those people have armed security. They also say that the carry ban prevents crime and increases public safety.
Whether you are for or against gun control laws, there is no controversy that Americans have the right to due process in the courts.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/09/dc-gun-carry-rights-case-blocked-in-court/

Two things:

1. Imma gonna apply for a DC non-resident LTC as soon as I possibly can. Just because.

2. Alan Gura has done more for the 2nd Amendment than any other individual in the last 100 years. I'm making a donation to the SAF right now.

When the forms are available, send me a link [grin]

Imma be sending a tidy sum to the folks at SAF this evening...... DONE

Last edited:
Where the judge assigned the case after the first retired is based in upstate NY. Anyone want to bet the DC crowd are going to squawk saying an out of state judge is ruling on their laws, blah blah. Judge referenced Perulta from the 9th circuit a lot. If this or Perulta gets overturned, at some point SCOTUS needs to take the issue, they declined in Drake.

The District’s political leaders and government attorneys argue that allowing people to legally have guns puts at risk the life of the president, members of Congress and Supreme Court justices -- even though all those people have armed security. They also say that the carry ban prevents crime and increases public safety.

Bullshit. The people who are willing to carry out violence against public figures won't be stopped by a ban on carrying. The "beltway sniper(s)" already proved that back in 2002....and that was with long guns, not handguns.

Anyone who believes that limiting the freedoms of people who obey the law will somehow prevent criminals from violating those same laws is an ass. That argument is lame. If you want to deny people their rights, then get a better argument. You'll still be wrong, but you'll sound like less of an ass.

Groovy.

we know our legislative branch is a shitshow and executive branch is out to lunch.......thank God for the remaining segment of the judicial branch that works!!!

Groovy.

we know our legislative branch is a shitshow and executive branch is out to lunch.......thank God for the remaining segment of the judicial branch that works!!!

A lower court taking five years to make a ruling...you have a far different definition to our judicial branch 'working' than I do!

A lower court taking five years to make a ruling...you have a far different definition to our judicial branch 'working' than I do!

agree 5 years is ridiculous.
however, would such a push have ever come from the oval office or congress? nope.

Well , ... yay. I guess.

I naively thought Heller and MacDonald was going to start some kind of avalanche of overturning gun laws. Then I remembered that half of the lawyers exist to get paid to kick and scream and weasel and argue that a ban on a civil right is bad , so were going to invent a new idea like is like a ban but isn't , although it is , and " public" means the open ocean outside of territorial waters , not a street full of children and cops who need to control the rabble.

Bullshit. The people who are willing to carry out violence against public figures won't be stopped by a ban on carrying. The "beltway sniper(s)" already proved that back in 2002....and that was with long guns, not handguns.

Anyone who believes that limiting the freedoms of people who obey the law will somehow prevent criminals from violating those same laws is an ass. That argument is lame. If you want to deny people their rights, then get a better argument. You'll still be wrong, but you'll sound like less of an ass.

+1000

Well , ... yay. I guess.

I naively thought Heller and MacDonald was going to start some kind of avalanche of overturning gun laws. Then I remembered that half of the lawyers exist to get paid to kick and scream and weasel and argue that a ban on a civil right is bad , so were going to invent a new idea like is like a ban but isn't , although it is , and " public" means the open ocean outside of territorial waters , not a street full of children and cops who need to control the rabble.

Court cases take time to work through the levels, this case at 5 yrs is absurd but even the normal ones take some years to work their way up the ladders. There have been laws that have fallen in court but many others have been sh!t canned by legislatures. The direction is very positive.

Jarvis vs VV was filed on 4/27/2012, and we still have not reached the point of presenting our case in trial before the judge - just a long series of pre-trial filings from both sides.

Davis vs. Grimes was filed 2/2013 - same thing.

My understanding is that Obama has been busy packing that court for ObamaCare... So, just another step on the long journey to the brick-wall that has been cert on this issue... [sad2]

Hopefully I am wrong, this is a nice surprise.

Absolutely ridiculous.

In the end, that probably wasn't such a bad thing.

I don't think this case would have been successful without all the cases that have come out in the past five years, particularly one right on point written by Richard Posner.

Back
Top Bottom