Ruger SR9

Good lord, I checked out one of these at Four Seasons today. They just got it in a few hours ago.

WHAT A HEAPING PILE OF GARBAGE!

The slide felt like it was loaded with sand, the trigger felt worse than some plastic toy guns, it was ridiculous.

Not an impressive performance Ruger.

I also checked out the one at Four Seasons.The grip felt good in my hand but thats about it. The trigger absolutley sucked. I also thought the safety levers were to small . The fact that it has a magazine safety sealed the deal for me- No thanks 10 round only mags also was a deal breaker. Collectors in Stoneham just got in a bunch of M&p 45s today, that is a nice gun- decent trigger good controls and 10 big bullets its my next handgun for sure. YMMV

WHAT A HEAPING PILE OF GARBAGE!

The slide felt like it was loaded with sand, the trigger felt worse than some plastic toy guns, it was ridiculous.
Well, that's disappointing. Not totally unexpected, though... I remember that my P90's trigger was pretty gritty, and my new Redhawk's trigger seems to stack up a fair bit... I think a trip to RGS or Gary may be in order for it. [thinking]

Anyone know what these are selling for? I'm not looking to carry it just shoot the hell of out of a 9mm. If I recall my buddy paid less than $400 for his P345 new so i would think this gun would be under $400.

If it is indeed that cheap I don't expect much. Honestly on that level it should be compared to a sigma.

Rugers have always outperformed their price range and I would expect the SR9 to be no different. Some examples will be extraordinary, many will be quite good and there will also be a few "lemons" in the bunch. I would never knock the Sigma, BTW. Surprisingly, I know several Sigma owners who are quite pleased with their pistols.

I don't see the SR9 selling below $400.00 here in Mass, but perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised. I hope so. In this economy anything is possible. [wink] Still, I will not purchase one because it simply fails to fall into a niche that I already have covered, and besides I am not going to buy a new 17 round capacity pistol that I can only shoot 11 rounds in and then there is the issue of the trigger...most probably an after-market trigger job will be required a la S&W MP.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Someone uttered the term "Magazine Safety"...

In that case....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIvxqUCu41Q

fail.jpg

Last edited:
Ruger SR9® coming to Mass

http://www.ruger.com/News/2008-11-26a.jsp?P=F

Ruger® Announces Availability of SR9® Pistol in California and Massachusetts

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR) is pleased to announce that the Ruger® SR9® pistol has been placed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale within the State of California, as well as the Massachusetts Approved Firearms Roster. The SR9 pistol, chambered for 9mm Luger, was introduced last October and is the first striker-fired pistol from Ruger.

"We consider this a significant event," said Sturm, Ruger Vice President of Sales and Marketing Chris Killoy. "The addition of the SR9 pistol to the California and Massachusetts lists reflects our commitment to the law abiding citizens of those states. Ruger strongly believes that responsible American citizens should be able to choose quality, American-made firearms when exercising their Second Amendment Right to keep and bear arms, and that certainly extends to the thousands of shooting enthusiasts in California and Massachusetts."

The Ruger SR9 pistol currently available in California and Massachusetts (model number 3309, catalog number KSR9-10-L) features a black frame with a brushed stainless steel slide. The pistol has a slim grip and a narrow slide that make it the most comfortable shooting striker-fired pistol available today. SR9 pistols feature a unique reversible backstrap, allowing owners to quickly customize the size and feel of the grip without having to carry separate inserts or use special tools. The SR9 appeals to both left- and right-handed shooters as it features ambidextrous manual safeties and magazine latches, both located where 1911 users expect them to be.

The structurally rigid, recoil-reducing, glass-filled nylon frame offers a slim, ergonomic grip with a 17-degree grip angle and three 22 lpi checkered panels that provide a sure grip without being abrasive. The rear sight, part of the low-profile, high-visibility, three-dot sight system, is click adjustable for elevation. Both front and rear sights are drift adjustable for windage to put shooters on target with their choice of ammunition.

The Picatinny rail accepts firearm-mounted lights for target identification in all light conditions, or an easy-to-use laser. The Ruger SR9 pistol also offers an internal trigger bar interlock and striker blocker, trigger safety, magazine disconnect, and a visual and tactile loaded chamber indicator. In compliance with the laws of both states, the Ruger SR9 pistol is shipped with two 10 round magazines.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I stopped into a local shop after lunch and they had one of these pistols in the case. I have to say it had a really nice feel to it. If they really are pigs, it's too bad - form handling one anyway, it feels like a solid, comfortable and ergonomic 9mm...[thinking] The example I handled seemed to be very well made and not clunky-junky at all...Anyone bought one?

At least the manual safety is in the right place. But with no pre-ban magazines available, I won't be buying a full-size 9mm.

At least the manual safety is in the right place. But with no pre-ban magazines available, I won't be buying a full-size 9mm.

I won't either - the 10-round magazine is a deal breaker for me. I just read a lot of negatives about build - even aesthetics, but I found it to be a well made and comfortable gun. It's too bad they didn't figure in pre-bans to the design, but then again, why would they?

Does this mean no >10 round magazines for ALL SR-9's, or just Mass. ones?

just MA and i guess CA ones. The real ones have 17+1.

I also would not buy a new 10 rounder UNLESS, like my mp40 or new sig229 40 i'm only losing a few rounds. Losing 7 rounds is definately a deal breaker.

I'm still looking for pre ban sig 229 40 mags but can't seem to locate any. I'm not too upset about losing only 2 rounds though.

just MA and i guess CA ones. The real ones have 17+1.

I also would not buy a new 10 rounder UNLESS, like my mp40 or new sig229 40 i'm only losing a few rounds. Losing 7 rounds is definately a deal breaker.

I'm still looking for pre ban sig 229 40 mags but can't seem to locate any. I'm not too upset about losing only 2 rounds though.

+1 to that

I bought one yesterday at AG guns, I stacked it up against the M&P and pound for pound I think this is a great gun. The fit and finnish was every bit as good as the S&W and the price tag is 100 bucks less. The main thing is that it felt great in my hand as well. I will prolly get an M&P .40 down the road "just to have it"

Everyone who says that the trigger pull feels gritty needs to read the manual, Ruger says that it's going to feel that way if you dry fire the SR9 without a magazine in it do to the magazine safety.

You can read more at www.gunblast.com

I bought one last week and have already put a hundred rounds through it. I like the Rugers. This one is well made and feels great in the hand. Recoil isn't bad for a 9mm. I had no problems so far and would recommend. [smile]

I have an SR9 it's one of my four 9mm auto pistols. It is by far my favorite pistol!!! Out of the four the Ruger has been at the range 10 times more than the others. I love the trigger. I don't know what the folks here are talking about when they say it has a bad trigger?? I also have a S+W M+P 9mm and that trigger is horrible. The SR9's trigger is great and I've done nothing to it!! I have the new style like the Glock trigger. You don't even notice the trigger safty. The design of the gun makes it so your finger naturally falls into the trigger guard and on to the trigger. No problems at all! The SR9 grip feels just like a 1911 grip. The gun is nice and thin and the only gun I'll carry. I use a Smart Carry holster and with the SR9 and an extra mag no one can tell I'm CCW even with shorts and a t-shirt. When I bring the SR9 to the range it gets nothing but complements and requests to fire it. I always let people shoot it and they always comment on how light the pistol is and how well it handles recoil. I have nothing bad to say about my SR9 all good! It's the best 9mm hand gun I've ever owned and I've had many from the Beretta 92F to the Glock 17. I highly recommend the SR9 to any one who wants a great carry pistol, target pistol, etc... Great gun for a great price!!!

Anyone ever get a chance to compare an SR9 side by side with a 9mm S&W M&P with the stock trigger? I'm curious how they compare. How about with the replacement or modified trigger?

Anyone ever get a chance to compare an SR9 side by side with a 9mm S&W M&P with the stock trigger? I'm curious how they compare. How about with the replacement or modified trigger?

Assuming you're referring to the MA version of the M&P, I've had the opportunity to shoot an SR9, SR9c (my own), stock MA M&P, M&P w/Greg Derr trigger job, as well as one with the APEX kit. It's worth noting right off the bat that the M&P MA trigger is brutal. From my experience, which is less than extensive, I'd rank them as follows:

1. SR9c
2. M&P w/ Greg Derr
3. M&P w/APEX kit
4. SR9
5. Stock M&P

Aside from the stock M&P they're all really pretty close, and I'm probably a bit biased toward the SR9c which I feel has a superbly light & even pull. I found the Derr trigger job to be a little lighter/crisper than the APEX kit, and the the full-size SR9 just has a bit too much creep. It supposedly has the same internal components as the compact, but you'd never know it.

I have a SR9 and a Glock 17 gen 4 In my opinion my SR9 has a better trigger then my glock it has hardly no take up , breaks crisp , feels lighter then my Glock , and maybe has a little less over travel . I have no problems with a gritty trigger or any trigger issues but I don't dry fire mine this could be why. I did notice that my SR9 likes to run wet were I can run my glock dry . When I did shoot the SR9 dry I had a bunch of failures to go into battery with walmart federal and white box ammo but this went away with some oil on the other hand my glock has never had a hiccup of any kind with any ammo.
Accuracy on the pistols are about the same but most days i can shoot a little tighter with the Ruger maybe it has to do with the trigger and the grip angle. If I want to punch holes in paper and burn ammo I usually bring the Ruger but I carry the glock 90% of the time do to it being more reliable and it never had any malfunctions but the glock is a little big.

Back
Top Bottom