• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger American vs Springfield 2020

American vs 2020 vs Ranger?

• Ruger American Rimfire

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Springfield Armory 2020 Rimfire

• Christensen Arms Ranger Rimfire

• Total voters

nightpoison

NES Member
I'm looking for a low cost .22. this will be a paper puncher for Project Appleseed (AS) and a loaner rifle at my home range when I invite newbie friends.

I already have a CZ457 MTR setup for PRS. Took it to the range this past Saturday and I couldn't get comfortable with it with a sling. Heavy, massive stock and the mags just got in the way. I could make it work, but I don't want to change anything on it, it's setup the way I like it for now.

So new rifle it is.

As far as AS goes, yea I know semi-auto is a better fit, but I've scored distinguished with both Iron Sights and scope and now I want to challenge the time with a bolt gun.

The Ruger American and the 2020 both use the Ruger 10/22 magazines. So it's flush fit for the mags, they won't get in the way of my hands and I know how to do quick mag swaps.

They both have a standard stock more suited to use of a sling.

I was also looking at the Christensen Arms Ranger, also takes 10/22 mags and fits what I'm looking for, but double the price of the other two.

I know CZ has lower cost models that will be better than the three I have listed and I'm still torn with going that route, but the mags are an issue for me. I have a large number of 10//22 mags already, they fit flush, and I'm way smoother on the mag changes.

Ignoring the CZ as an option, what are your thoughts on my other choices

2020 is made in Turkey so you know if that makes any difference. It looks like a nice rifle especially the wood model. Very classic looking.

I have a stainless/wood American and its a good shooter and nice.

Don't really think you could go wrong with either. If your looking for wood model, 2020 will be easer to find, the Ruger I bought was a special edition talo model.

I didn't consider that about the 2020. Which is something to consider.

Wood stock is nice, but I like the modular make of the American composite stock. Easier to setup for more people. Kind of a bonus of the American

Last edited:
Ruger just released the American 2.0. I'm not sure what the .22 version looks like, but the .308 that I saw had a nice high comb and an adjustable butt pad spacer system. I'm wondering if the price is still right because I always felt that the Ruger crushed the price point.

Ruger just released the American 2.0. I'm not sure what the .22 version looks like, but the .308 that I saw had a nice high comb and an adjustable butt pad spacer system. I'm wondering if the price is still right because I always felt that the Ruger crushed the price point.
I saw that, however I don't think they released a .22 yet. Waiting to see, the stock looks great.

Several months since I posted this and doesn't seem like anyone has an opinion on the rifles. Probably cause everyone is saying to themselves, just buy a CZ. haha. I've kind of ruled the Springfield out, Both the Christensen and the Ruger are American made. The Christensen is so tempting, but the Ruger is about half the price so its hard to justify. I know when the Christensen first came out, it seemed a lot of people had issues with it, but the newer ones, and after some people sent it back for a rework, they shoot fantastic.

I'm also planning on using this rifle as a loaner for first-time shooters coming to the range with me. The Christensen is overkill for that, but it looks great and some of the results I've seen a solid.

Anyone own one?

I patched with a Savage B-22. They are awesome bang for the buck. 10 round rotary mags, adjustable accu trigger and savage threaded micro groove barrel. I put on a Boyd’s stock but I patched with the factory stock. Definitely recommend.

Also building an AR-22 with a CMC 2.5 pound trigger on an Anderson lower with a Bear Creek side charging heavy barrel upper for the next bout with the redcoats. Hopefully get the upper in the next couple of days so I can do an accuracy review.

IMG_1582.jpeg

I patched with a Savage B-22. They are awesome bang for the buck. 10 round rotary mags, adjustable accu trigger and savage threaded micro groove barrel. I put on a Boyd’s stock but I patched with the factory stock. Definitely recommend.

Also building an AR-22 with a CMC 2.5 pound trigger on an Anderson lower with a Bear Creek side charging heavy barrel upper for the next bout with the redcoats. Hopefully get the upper in the next couple of days so I can do an accuracy review.

I've heard a lot of good things about the B22, but one of my main criteria is that it takes the 10/22 magazines. I've just got so many of those mags already I want to be able to use them.

Back
Top Bottom