• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark iii field strip

Boston404

NES Member
Hi,
Anyone familiar with the Ruger Mark ii or iii basic field strip? I'm having a hell of a time getting the bolt pin to drop down. This is the first time I'm taking it apart and I have a sense that these may come quite tight from the factory. I am assuming a mallet and brass punch to help nudge the pin down could be in order for the first few times? Yes, I have seen several videos on the appropriate steps for the takedown.

Thank You!

You can't take it down? Wait'll you try putting it back together, you need an engineering degree. I never never had a problem taking it down but always had to bring it to AFS and have someone there put it back together for me (I only cleaned it rarely).

The pin can be very tight the first few times and a brass punch may be in order.

Re-assembly is where people get all screwed up and complain about how difficult it is.

It really isn't but you have to drop the hammer and make sure the spur is in the correct orientation for it to go back together.

Where are you located?

See? Buck, I expect better from you! :p

As I said, there is a tiny trick and once you know that, all is good.

Hammer down and hammer strut BACK so that it engages the spring cap. Watch this especially from the 10 minute to 12:30 mark and you shouldn't have an issue.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDB9t2qa7Y

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah I've seen the tips about how to properly get it back together. To your point hammer down. I'm in the route 2 stretch just inside 495. I'll give the punch a shot and see if it breaks free.

Uggg... dont buy a ruger mark 1 2 or 3 if you can not handle it. I break down,ckean ,reassemble My pos mark3 every range trips, it a tough gun to reassemble.
Every range trip? I was shooting one daily for months at a time (competition), cleaned it every few mos. They don’t need to be cleaned every range trip.

Every range trip? I was shooting one daily for months at a time (competition), cleaned it every few mos. They don’t need to be cleaned every range trip.
I shoot cheap ammo through it( bulk pack federal ammo ) and after 3 to 4 hundred rds it get dirty, so i clean it after every trip. May be i over do on the gun cleaning thing lol.

MK3's are a royal pia to re-assemble. Took me many tries and F bombs to master the technique . Theres 2 components that need to be correctly orientated , Its all about getting the hammer pawl tang properly orientated, and the sear . If one (or both) are out of position , you will not get the main spring lever to correctly close.

Got it back together but took it to the range and trigger pulls, clicks but no boom. Guess I'll need to disassemble and try again.

My Mark III is the reason I bought the the tiny watch makers hammer from Harbor Freight. LOL.

I tried helping my brother in law with his Mk 2 about thirty years ago. FU__ dat!! Never again!

I solved the problem by buying a 9 shot Taurus 941 revolver. It can even shoot the crappy Russian steel case 22 ammo.

I put one of these in my Mark 3 years ago and it makes takedown super easy

Uggg... dont buy a ruger mark 1 2 or 3 if you can not handle it. I break down,ckean ,reassemble My pos mark3 every range trips, it a tough gun to reassemble.
I just sell it in the classifieds here after 1-2000 rounds and buy a new one.

My sanity is worth it.

Jokes aside I have a mk 3 and the first time sucked. But it’s doable now.

I just sell it in the classifieds here after 1-2000 rounds and buy a new one.

My sanity is worth it.

Jokes aside I have a mk 3 and the first time sucked. But it’s doable now.
I got my mk3 used, from anather nes member ,he gave me good price on it. Gun was dirty, there is a small crack in the grip assembly, the small spring in the firing pin broken (i need to replace it, the old broken one still in the gun),and god know how many thousands rds been shot through the gun.
Gun still run good, at ten yards i can shoot people nose off their face if they ask for it lol,ruger made good gun.

I shoot a MK II in Greater Boston Pistol League. I clean it at the start of the season and don't touch it again. I run about 1500 rounds through it during the season. I probably should clean it at the half way point but you definitely don't need to clean it on every trip.

Back
Top Bottom