• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR-22 Pistol

The one gripe I've heard about it is the trigger, but I've yet to shoot it yet. As for the gigantic lock, Ruger does tend to go a bit overboard, but at least you get a nice padlock with each gun!

The guy at Ruger who designs their included locks clearly hates his job and designs the most ridiculous thing he thinks he can get through to production.

I just picked my ruger sr22 today. I shot only 40 rounds of cci mini mags, but no ftf or fte. The accuracy was alot better than I expected, more accurate than the walther p22 I had. The trigger is not bad, not great but not bad. The gun feels great in the hand. The removable grips are easy take on and off.

I hope this gun holds up. If it does, I think they will sell a ton of these guns.

The DA pull seems similar to the LC9 ... WAY too long. The SA seems decent enough, but you have to get through the DA to get there. Time to start asking ... who is going to be cleaning up the trigger pulls on these?

The DA pull seems similar to the LC9 ... WAY too long. The SA seems decent enough, but you have to get through the DA to get there. Time to start asking ... who is going to be cleaning up the trigger pulls on these?

I doubt anyone will bother unless someone like Galloway will be making parts for the thing.

It's a 22 rimfire plinker-class gun. If the trigger is passable in SA that's all that really matters.

-Mike

The guy at Ruger who designs their included locks clearly hates his job and designs the most ridiculous thing he thinks he can get through to production.

I actually would rather get the padded padlock than a horrible cable lock or a trigger lock. I can use the padlock for something else, and if I actually had to use it as a safety device, for whatever reason, the padlock is probably going to offer slightly better security than the other two typical locks one usually gets with a gun.

-Mike

I doubt anyone will bother unless someone like Galloway will be making parts for the thing.

It's a 22 rimfire plinker-class gun. If the trigger is passable in SA that's all that really matters.

-Mike

Galloway already has a section on their website for SR22 parts, and the page says they'll be coming in the next couple months (though it doesn't seem to say when that was posted.) A few of the reviews I've read this morning also say that the trigger tightens up a bit after a few hundred rounds ... guess I'm just going to have to shoot the thing!

I have had both the Lc9 and now the sr22. There is no comparison between the two, trigger wise. The lc9 is long and smoth. The sr22 is a bit shorter, but heavier and much rougher. Feel like the trigger on a toy. Besides that the gun seems great. Im going to put a couple hundred rounds down range with it tonight. We will see.

If it proves reliable I may carry this thing. I can dump a mag with more speed and accuracy than any centerfire hand gun. Plus its light weight.

as of this morning I now own 2 sr22 pistols!!! took a bath trading in my walter p22 I owned less than a month but it was worth getting a 22 pistol that works

Picked one up today at Blue Northern. They had a couple more in stock and more on the way, but somehow I don't think they will last.

I immediately took it to the range and put ~150 rounds through it. DA not worth using/thinking about. SA trigger has significant take up that takes getting used to but is otherwise smooth and light for the final pull. It comes with a second, larger grip which installs easily. It also comes with two magazines and two additional base plates that have pinky extensions. I went with the larger grip installed and also installed the pinky extensions. Very comfortable for a large hand.

I had a brick of federal copper plated 36gr and blazer LRN 40gr. At 20 ft 20 rounds all in the black with the federal. With the blazer the center of mass was low and left at the edge of the bullseye with 1/2 the rounds in the white. My ruger 10/22 had no appreciable difference with the different ammo but the SR22 had noticeably different performance.

A fun plinker. With the low initial cost and shooting 22LR it wont hurt to buy or to shoot

Went to go get mine but I cant. My new LTC is not valid the police department didn't finalize the paperwork. Are you Fing kidding me? Called the licensing officer from the shop and he just went home for the day.

Last edited:
Went to go get mine but I cant. My new LTC is not valid the police department didn't finalize the paperwork. Are you Fing kidding me? Called the licensing officer at the shop and he just went home for the day.

I'll be at Braintree tonight shooting mine if you're around! Trust me it's well worth the wait!!!!!!

I just got back from shooting my SR22 for the first time. Right away, I found that this gun is vastly more accurate than my Walther P22. Operationally, I thought this gun is superior in almost every way.

My only complaint is that the gun consistently failed to feed the last round of the mag every 2-3 mags or so. When I mean failed to feed, I don't mean that it failed to strip the round from the mag, but rather the cartridge got hung mid-way with the slide slamming into the case wall. I would probably call it a chambering problem versus a feeding one.

This became quite irritating as it was with both mags. Other than that, the gun was extremely reliable during the entire session. With the exception of the last round in the mag, the gun ate and spate out everything just fine.

Used 200 rds CCI Blazer, 100 rds CCI Mini-mags, and a couple of mags of Stingers and Velocitors just for function testing. I didn't have any issues with the Stingers or Velocitors, but then again I don't think I shot enough of them to be sure. I should have brought some standard velocity rounds, but didn't think I needed to test with them.

Anyone else experience an issue like this? Picked up mine from FS last weekend.

The one gripe I've heard about it is the trigger, but I've yet to shoot it yet. As for the gigantic lock, Ruger does tend to go a bit overboard, but at least you get a nice padlock with each gun!

The ruger locks work great on lockers at the gym. And who is going to screw with a locker locked with a Ruger padlock. Ha.

As an aside, talk about legal idiocy. The CT law says that the retailer must provide and affix a lock to the gun before the customer walks out the door. Some retailers have taken that to mean that the included lock does not count. So they provide an additional lock and put it on the gun. crazy

I bought a p22 first and my gf got most the use out of it
Then got a ruger 22/45. It's a better 22 pistol I got the longer barrel heavy barrel

I shoot better with it. I like both but if I had to sell one the p22 would good

My mistake. I meant the SR22. I've corrected my post above.

I'm curious about the pros and cons of the two ruger pistols.

They're two very different guns. I own both and wouldn't trade either. The 22/45 is a target gun and the sr22 is a fun plinker. You probably know more than enough about them after simply firing a few hundred rounds through each of them. My suggestion is to hold on to them both. You can never have too many .22 for range fun!

I was holding one @ FS yesterday. They still have SR22 in stock. Probably won't last through the holiday week.

I want one, but I'm not in the spending mood. So, I will wait.

Just got back from the range The SR-22 is a hit! Blazer, Remington, Federals, CCI it ate it all with the exception that on a few occasions the round would go off and eject the caseing but the next round in line did not chamber I had both mags one with the little extension and the one with the flat plate The mag I had with the flat plate seems to be the culprit just rack the slide and I was good to go.
It was shooting a little low out of the box I will be fixing that next time I hit the range. My friend took his bodyguard revolver and also my SR9c we had so much fun with my SR-22 to get it to jam or do anything funky that we forgot about our other firearms. This is a great little .22 tons of fun feels good in your hands and it runs like a champ.

My SR 22 is now on the chopping block. I guess im more of a centerfire guy. I cant justify owning a gun I wont carry.

Last edited:
My SR 22 is now on the chopping block. I guess im more of a centerfire guy. I cant justify owning a gun I wont carry.

Why not carry your SR 22? It's a bear killer round. Also kill zombies too.

Don't let others talk you down. If you insist to carry your SR 22, please do. It's your gun, it's your rules.

What can i say, you guys talked me out of it. The reliabilty just aint there, even with cci. If it was 100% I would have no issues with carrying it. The advantages that I spoke of before are still there. I guess I expected better reults with quality ammo. Thats why its a good idea to put a few hundred rounds down range before using it as your ccw. Or playing devils advocate for your new gun.

Back
Top Bottom