• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger SR-22 Pistol

They will sell tons of these. Ruger knows how to build a .22lr semi-auto that works. If they used that knowledge here, this will be a winner for them.

Why the hell is it DA/SA though? You'd think they'd make it work the same as the SR9/SR40.

That's the thing with Ruger. When they innovate, they have this way of getting it almost right. Having said that, this is just a .22, so for practical purposes it is probably a decent SA all of the time. The big exception is people who want to train with the gun out of a holster. Given (I'm guessing) that the target market is plinkers, that it is cocked when you load it, and that you can cock it manually if you want, nobody will probably ever shoot the thing in DA unless they really want to. I don't see a de-cocker, so unless the safety de-cocks it (I bet it doesn't), you would have to manually de-cock in order to shoot DA anyway.

That's the thing with Ruger. When they innovate, they have this way of getting it almost right. Having said that, this is just a .22, so for practical purposes it is probably a decent SA all of the time. The big exception is people who want to train with the gun out of a holster. Given (I'm guessing) that the target market is plinkers, that it is cocked when you load it, and that you can cock it manually if you want, nobody will probably ever shoot the thing in DA unless they really want to. I don't see a de-cocker, so unless the safety de-cocks it (I bet it doesn't), you would have to manually de-cock in order to shoot DA anyway.

on Jeff Quinn's review I read today he showed a decocker.

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-SR22P.htm

according to Rugers site it is also a de-cocker.

It just looks like a Rugerized Walther P22. And that Walther is horid. So, hopefully this will be a better plinker than that. I agree that it maybe should have been like there other SR's like the SR9/SR40 series pistols.

The other SR's are striker fired, right? This appears hammer fired, so it certainly quite different than those, other than the naming. I wonder if this will dig into MKIII sales.

I am sure it will be a hot seller. I think I saw MSRP at $399. So, it would sell around $300-$320 I am guessing. That's a great price for a reliable 22 pistol.

300px-Walther_P22_Corrected.jpg

3600.jpg

It just looks like a Rugerized Walther P22. And that Walther is horid. So, hopefully this will be a better plinker than that. I agree that it maybe should have been like there other SR's like the SR9/SR40 series pistols.

Yea that's the scary part. I'm a fan of Ruger, but ths fast that it looks so much like a p22, makes me hesitant. Hated the p22 I got for my wife, dropped it for a mkiii. But I wouldn't mind another.22 for myself.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Yea that's the scary part. I'm a fan of Ruger, but ths fast that it looks so much like a p22, makes me hesitant. Hated the p22 I got for my wife, dropped it for a mkiii. But I wouldn't mind another.22 for myself.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Yeah I think most people have owned P22's, and like me most have been sold. I think it is 1 of the worst pistols I ever shot.

I am really hoping Ruger keeps up with the reliability of their other pistols and this thing ends up being a solid shooter. On that review by Jeff Quinn, he said he loved it and it ran 100%. So, we shall see.

That being said, I still think it looks kinda cool. Like their LCR .22 they came out with a couple weeks ago. Both will be around $300-$375 at most gun shops.

There is actually already a few on Gunbroker for $349 buy it now. Good price if it ends up being reliable.

Last edited:
Yeah I think most people have owned P22's, and like me most have been sold. I think it is 1 of the worst pistols I ever shot.

I am really hoping Ruger keeps up with the reliability of their other pistols and this thing ends up being a solid shooter. On that review by Jeff Quinn, he said he loved it and it ran 100%. So, we shall see.

That being said, I still think it looks kinda cool. Like their LCR .22 they came out with a couple weeks ago. Both will be around $300-$375 at most gun shops.

There is actually already a few on Gunbroker for $349 buy it now. Good price if it ends up being reliable.

It should be better than the P22. First is the de-cock. The spec sheet also has it list with a lighter DA triger pull than the Walther! Walther P22 DA pull 11lbs, Ruger DA pull 8lbs, Both pistols are listed with a 4lbs SA trigger pull.

tnoutdoors9 did a short video review of it and really liked it.
I saw them in CT today for 289$, brand new. Held it and it felt really nice.
It really sucks that it will probably take months before my local MA dealer can get one. I seriously have to move across the border into a free state.

General consensus seems to be its like the walther P22, but much better.
My dad and mom would love one (not to mention the new Ruger LCR-22)!

Last edited:
I had been contemplating buying a Ruger LCR-22 for a first revolver to test with, but now with this SR-22 coming out i think i will buy one . from what has been shared on here , its very reliable. and its 10rd factory. im sure i'll own one soon

lol, the new sr-22 is selling for less than the LCR-22 .. but i really want a revolver..

its going to take a while to decide ...

Last edited:
I had been contemplating buying a Ruger LCR-22 for a first revolver to test with, but now with this SR-22 coming out i think i will buy one . from what has been shared on here , its very reliable. and its 10rd factory. im sure i'll own one soon

lol, the new sr-22 is selling for less than the LCR-22 .. but i really want a revolver..

its going to take a while to decide ...

I am a fan of the LCR's. I think they are great little guns, and fun to shoot. I wouldn't mind picking up a LCR 22 at some point as well.

It does look eerily similar to the shitbox that is the Walther P22. But I'm betting this new Ruger will be much more reliable and user friendly than the P22.

Back
Top Bottom