Ruger SR-22 Pistol

They wanted four hundred for it? That's full retail?

Like I said, I wasn't sure. I was looking at several guns at several shops. It all runs together after a few...

$349 sounds about right.

I ended up with a Ruger 22/45 MkIII from C&F in Middleboro for $300. [grin] THAT I took to the range today and love. Great piece, It ate everything, no FTF and was dead on from the factory. Only gripe is that the mag does not fall out when the release is pressed- you need to pull it out.

Last edited:
Like I said, I wasn't sure. I was looking at several guns at several shops. It all runs together after a few...

$349 sounds about right.

I ended up with a Ruger 22/45 MkIII from C&F in Middleboro for $300. [grin] THAT I took to the range today and love. Great piece, It ate everything, no FTF and was dead on from the factory. Only gripe is that the mag does not fall out when the release is pressed- you need to pull it out.

Great gun! I bought a 22/45 ten years ago for 250 and to this day it's still one of my favorites. The only down side is cleaning it stinks! I've gotten it down to after every trip to the range I use a bore snake. Every five hundred rounds I use a spray cleaner and the gun runs flawlessly! Enjoy it!

According to the Ruger website, SR22 is CA approved as of the middle of January. However, have yet to see one in a store. Very interested in one. (Yes, I am in CA).

Over one thousand rounds down range and no issues! Very accurate eats federal ammo all day long and a blast to shoot! Coming with two magazines is another nice bonus for training purposes.

Over one thousand rounds down range and no issues! Very accurate eats federal ammo all day long and a blast to shoot! Coming with two magazines is another nice bonus for training purposes.

Could you still recommend it as a 1st firearm for a new shooter? My wife os at the "women only" safety course today at first defense, so we will be in the market for her 1st soon.

Could you still recommend it as a 1st firearm for a new shooter? My wife os at the "women only" safety course today at first defense, so we will be in the market for her 1st soon.

I think this is a great first gun! Very little recoil, easy to clean, accurate, and if you're just learning it helps walk you through the basics of a semi auto.

>>I heard they will have them soon.<<

When I spoke with them yesterday I didn't get that impression. They said 2-3 months at the earliest. For what they'll probably charge for it you can get the existing barrel threaded in less time.

I saw one up at Renaissance Firearms in Gonic NH today. Such a neat looking little gun. And if it's made by Ruger, it'd definitely beat the P22. I want one!

I saw one up at Renaissance Firearms in Gonic NH today. Such a neat looking little gun. And if it's made by Ruger, it'd definitely beat the P22. I want one!

That's a great question. Some gun manufacturers are farming out their 22 guns to be made by other companies. I believe Browning and Sig fall into that catagory. I wouldn't be surprised if the new M&P 22 pistol is made by someone other than S&W too.

That's a great question. Some gun manufacturers are farming out their 22 guns to be made by other companies. I believe Browning and Sig fall into that catagory. I wouldn't be surprised if the new M&P 22 pistol is made by someone other than S&W too.

It's made by walther in Germany.

I have not held either the Ruger or the Walther, so this is speculation. But neither of these are target pistols. If you want a reasonably priced target gun, Ruger, Walther, and S&W all make better guns than the SR22 or the M&P 22.

These are plinkers and sub-caliber practice guns that stand in for centerfire guns. To that end, the M&P seems a better choice since it closely mimics the centerfire M&Ps while the SR22 doesn't really stand in well for any of Ruger's current guns.

Just my .02. I love my MKIIs and my 22/45.

On a side note, I just purchased an Advantage Arms Target .22 Conversion for my Les Baer 1911. Wow. What a nice combination. The thing is a tack driver.
I'm in the process of sourcing parts so I can build a dedicated lower for it. The nice thing is that all the hard stuff related to a 1911 build, bbl and slide fitting aren't necessary.

Don

It wasn't bad. Better than my non-MA compliant M&P 45.

I honestly can't tell you if the mechanism is similar. What I can tell you is that once you have done an M&P trigger job, the next one takes about 30 minutes. Its REALLY easy to make a very nice 7# trigger on an M&P.
And before anyone compares that to a Glock with a 3# connector, realize that a stock Glock with a 3# connector has about a 7# trigger weight.

Don

p.s. Just a general question for MA people re the M&P. Is the trigger noticeably lighter on the M&Ps that have a thumb safety? Its allowed to be lighter, right?

It wasn't bad. Better than my non-MA compliant M&P 45.

I honestly can't tell you if the mechanism is similar. What I can tell you is that once you have done an M&P trigger job, the next one takes about 30 minutes. Its REALLY easy to make a very nice 7# trigger on an M&P.
And before anyone compares that to a Glock with a 3# connector, realize that a stock Glock with a 3# connector has about a 7# trigger weight.

Don

p.s. Just a general question for MA people re the M&P. Is the trigger noticeably lighter on the M&Ps that have a thumb safety? Its allowed to be lighter, right?

Well, in theory, yes, you would think that, if you read CMR940. S&W got cold feet or pushback from the AG on it, though, and they crippled that one just as badly as the rest.

The MA M&Ps are pretty much unusable. The free state ones are marginal. Either way they need to be worked over.

BTW, there is no way in hell a Glock a with minus connector in it breaks at 7 pounds. It's more like 4-4.5 or so, depending on the gun. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Well, in theory, yes, you would think that, if you read CMR940. S&W got cold feet or pushback from the AG on it, though, and they crippled that one just as badly as the rest.

The MA M&Ps are pretty much unusable. The free state ones are marginal. Either way they need to be worked over.

BTW, there is no way in hell a Glock a with minus connector in it breaks at 7 pounds. It's more like 4-4.5 or so, depending on the gun. [laugh]

-Mike

I've got to agree! The trigger on my Glocks are a pleasure to shoot. The compliant M&P .40 I shot hurt my hand. Once they've had a trigger job they're not bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom