Revoked license over Change of Address???

Sorry Space. Not even close.

In CT, you don't need a license to possess. So if your PP is revoked, you lose the right to carry a pistol. You do not lose the right to possess. i.e. Cops dont' show up at your door and take your guns.

Also, you can still do whatever you want with your long guns.

Don

p.s. MA is outside of Heller and McDonald when they do things like this. They will lose eventually.

Hey Don,

I think you're both right. SpaceCritter's right about the 48 hours requirement for change of address, and you're right about it not meaning you lose the right to possess your firearms.

I can't find the statute, but included in the the firearms brochure at http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms_brochure_12-03-14.pdf is
"State Law requires the holder of a Pistol Permit to notify the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit of any change of residence address within two business days."

IMO, it's not where you sleep, nor where you spend the most time. It's where your cars are registered to. It's where your DL says you live. It's where you're registered to vote. It's where your bank statements are sent. Sleeping at your GF's house for the last 30 days doesn't mean you live there; you're merely a visitor.
Unless it is Brookline, in which case they might run a stakeout to undermine your claim of residency (seriously - Brookline will do just about anyting to find a reason to deny).

However, a credible argument can be made that anyone faking a Brookline address for the purposes of firearms licensing is either mentally ill or defective.

However, a credible argument can be made that anyone faking a Brookline address for the purposes of firearms licensing is either mentally ill or defective.

Kind of like how Anthony Michael Hall in "The Breakfast Club" had a fake ID with a DOB in the 1920's. According to him, his sole purpose for getting a fake ID was so that he could vote. Silliness, I say.

Hypothetical question. What would one do if he were to have two residencies (one in a green town, another in a red town). Ltc is issued in green town and drivers license, car insurance, taxes, and voter registration are mailed to green town. However, majority of the time is spent in living in the red town.
I've seen cases where someone with residences was unable to apply in either town. Both Chiefs decided that the person actually lived in the other town.

If you want to trust them with your firearm rights rather than going down to the nearest post office yourself, suit yourself. My firearm rights are important enough to me that I will go through the extreme effort of walking 5 minutes from my office to the nearest post office.

When I moved last year, I went so far as to make copies of the letters for my wife and I, stapled the certified mail receipts to the letters, as well as photocopies of the envelopes. I still have them in the folder with all my FA-10's and sales receipts.

Didn't take any chances.

When I moved last year, I went so far as to make copies of the letters for my wife and I, stapled the certified mail receipts to the letters, as well as photocopies of the envelopes. I still have them in the folder with all my FA-10's and sales receipts.

Didn't take any chances.

Smart man. That is the kind of approach I take to matters like this.

Didn't take any chances.

I did the same, so when I went to get my renewal in the new town, they asked me, "did you ver file a change of address?, we flew those away and don't see one with your name on it." Whipped out the recipes along with the copy of the letters and that settled it right then and there. They ultimately ended up finding it, but it pushed the onus on them, not me at that point.

Last edited:
Curiously enough, a revocation for failure to file a change of address leaves the protection one gets for having an expired LTC intact. The only penalty for possession or carry on the expired LTC is $100 (was $500 under the old law), with no criminal aspect to the case. Of course, you can't expect the police to know this and will have to hire an attorney to point it out to the court, or perhaps, convince Comm2A to take your case.

Filing pro-se is akin to stepping on your organ. Talk to Comm2A, even if you have retained private counsel, and especially if you have not.

Or hire Evan Nappen if he's available and be done with it.

So I just moved and sent the three letters, but this thread has me thinking maybe I should resend one of them. Because it says licensing authority, I sent my change of address notification to the licensing unit at my issuing department. Now I'm wondering if I should send one to the chief as well just to be safe.

You have to send 3 letters out if your moving out of the town your in. If not just 2.

Just check it online to see if they changed your address or not.

You have to send 3 letters out if your moving out of the town your in. If not just 2.

Just check it online to see if they changed your address or not.
Doesn't the frb change the address? What I'm worried about is whether the licensing unit of my issuing town is considered the licensing authority for the purpose of the notification. I didn't send the letter to the chief, but to the lo/licensing unit.

Didn't take any chances.

LOL. I did the same and we moved out of state!

So would one be prudent to keep both current, in case the former gets revoked for whatever reason?

The old theory is that if you have both, and your LTC should be revoked for "suitability", the FID will allow you to retain your non-LTC guns, and ammo. Although, it seems that I've heard that the PD may not agree with this....

I have both. Partly, for use in BP classes, partly because I can ( the last time I renewed the FID, the PD told me I didn't need it, as the LTC was better - they weren't being nasty, just trying to save me money [laugh]). Though when my last LTC renewal took almost 90 days, I could not buy ammo with the LTC - I needed the FID!

The old theory is that if you have both, and your LTC should be revoked for "suitability", the FID will allow you to retain your non-LTC guns, and ammo. Although, it seems that I've heard that the PD may not agree with this....

Massachusetts seems to be chock-full of capricious-and-arbitrary. How has this survived judicial scrutiny? It's not some rural backwater.

So would one be prudent to keep both current, in case the former gets revoked for whatever reason?

I have both. Partly, for use in BP classes, partly because I can ( the last time I renewed the FID, the PD told me I didn't need it, as the LTC was better - they weren't being nasty, just trying to save me money [laugh]). Though when my last LTC renewal took almost 90 days, I could not buy ammo with the LTC - I needed the FID!
I have two for that "theory". However, now that FID's can be revoked for suitability--albeit with a bit more hassle on the part of the licensing authority--that negates much of the benefit in my view.

In my case, I have two separate licensing authorities for my LTC and FID, as my LTC is issued by my employing PD and my FID is issued by the town I live in. I like it that way as the town I live in is generally more gun friendly and less likely to risk liability on behalf of my employer should my employing PD pull my LTC for political reasons.

Come renewal time, I'll probably spend the $25 and get my LTC through my town of residence so it will be unconnected with my job.

Last edited:
Here's a question, I have several relatives who lived on a certain road out in western Massachusetts. They all used a shared driveway. The driveway just became a "road" and all three houses that use it now have a new address. Would they have to notify of a change of address also, even though they have not moved, and it was the town that changed their address?

Reduce to simple logical exercise;
1) If address changes, change of address forms must be submitted.
2) Address Changed.
Therefore, change of address forms must be submitted.

Skip all of the "But, it wasn't their fault, not any of their doing, etc, " because while absolutely true, also irrelevant to the simple facts.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm a computer geek, this advice is worth absolutely every cent you've just paid for it. :)

Have you watched any SJC oral arguments? The phrase "Kangaroo Court" comes to mind.

Artists depiction of a typical SJC justice...

faygot.png

Wow. there it is in writing. I am going to be doing some serious reading tonight. The last thing I need is to lose my license over something so [STRIKE=undefined] minor[/STRIKE] ignorant.

This state proves it's useless ignorance, regularly. I can't wait to get myself and the little one out of this cesspool, asap...

I am not going to put the town out there. I value my license. last thing I need is to get a call next week with these douchebags making up some BS to revoke my license.

It is an unfortunate reality that such precautions are wise. Many of us remember a certain NES poster who expressed impatience with his town's licensing authority. That town's licensing authority then used his NES postings as "justification" for a denial.

Back
Top Bottom