Revoked license over Change of Address???

Holy crap, the amount of asking of how to do the change of address is rather frightening here. People need to start reading up, paying attention at their basic class, or something!

I agree that folks need to pay attention, but take a look at what C. 140 S. 131P requires wrt an instructor teaching the law in a BFS course.

any person who operates a firearms safety course or program which provides in its curriculum: (a) the safe use, handling and storage of firearms; (b) methods for securing and childproofing firearms; (c) the applicable laws relating to the possession, transportation and storage of firearms; and (d) knowledge of operation, potential dangers and basic competency in the ownership and usage of firearms.

Where does it say that you have to teach what to do when you move?? [I agree that instructors should do this, but it is not required.]

I go over this in detail in my MA Gun Law Seminar and throw the trick questions in of who/when/how you notify, then twist it with a second move within the time the LTC is still valid. Almost nobody gets it right!!!

I called the FRB and changed my address. they tell you that you still need to notify the PD though.

I know that FRB is trying to be nice, but calling does NOT comply with the black letter of the law.

Filling out forms with TOO MUCH INFO (date you moved, copies of LTC, etc.) are also NOT your "friend" . . . that extra info can get you where this guy is now. The law does not require any forms, copies of LTC, etc. merely a letter with LTC/FID info, old and new address meets the law. But GOAL's website, PDs, etc. have indoctrinated people to use a form which can cause nothing but trouble for the person reporting a move. Take due notice and govern yourself accordingly!

1. Save your LTC receipts until the next renewal. When I have moved, I generally include a copy of these receipts with my next renewal application with a note "Copies of postal return receipts included as proof I submitted proper notification of my change of address". It's easy, and cheap, insurance against a department "losing" you change of address.

2. If you are denied for change of address, contact Comm2A and REAPPLY. The law now says the decision should be based on an indication you have been, or reasonably can be assumed to be, a danger to public safety. It would be interesting to hear the PD argue how you are dangerous because you did not send the notices. Of course, I would expect Brookline to vigorously oppose re-issuance. If you have to appeal, have your attorney point out that the state considers this so minor they only impose a $100 fine, and don't even impose criminal penalties for firearms carry after this administrative revocation.

A very long time ago Westford had a test you passed in order to obtain your LTC. One of the questions was "who do you notify when you move"?

My reply was the town you're moving to, the state, and the RMV. Of course I missed part of the answer they were looking for but it was not held against me when the test was reviewed.

One of life's lessons I never forgot.

One thing I forgot to mention:

If you reapply, move your guns to a safe haven first (have a dealer store them, or leave them with a licensed friend).

If the PD denies your re-application, you lose the "expired license protection" for possession/carry, and the $100 fine changes into a criminal offense. This is at a level that would make a search warrant a distinct possibility if the PD wanted to F with you.

One thing I forgot to mention:

If you reapply, move your guns to a safe haven first (have a dealer store them, or leave them with a licensed friend).

If the PD denies your re-application, you lose the "expired license protection" for possession/carry, and the $100 fine changes into a criminal offense. This is at a level that would make a search warrant a distinct possibility if the PD wanted to F with you.

I feel like my head is going to explode after reading this thread. F-ing RiDONKulous!

How is it Constitutional to revoke the right to keep and bear arms because you didn't inform the authorities of a change of address??

Is it just because this hasn't been challenged yet?

How is it Constitutional to revoke the right to keep and bear arms because you didn't inform the authorities of a change of address??

Is it just because this hasn't been challenged yet?
The SJC just ruled (a couple of days ago) that the ability to get an LTC is outside the scope of the 2nd amendment. You have a right to own a handgun, but no right to the license that will allow you to do so.

When I moved to Hopkinton, I went to the post office to mail my three letters. The little old lady behind the counter saw the "shipping" address and asked if I had just moved into town and was into shooting. We ended up chatting about local clubs, how long we've been shooting, etc. What a pleasant experience.

sorry to derail the thread, but what if you're moving out of state?
you only have to notify issuing town and the CHSB, correct?

Yes, but you must do it or face a serious pain if you ever come back.

I had an FID in Beverly prior to 1998. When the old "lifetime" FID expired, I never bothered getting licensed again. So the license expired, I moved years later, then moved again to my home in Oxford. When I went for my LTC in Oxford, the woman processing the application says "Do you already have a license?". I told her no. She said "Okay, but I'm getting an FID on file for you in Beverly." She had me fill out the change of address letter right there and had me send it to Beverly and CHSB.

She was awesome about it and it was just a nuisance but the bottom line was that even though the license was expired, I was still obligated to notify. Obviously they couldn't revoke an expired license but an A-hole COP could have made that a real challenge for me.

He said he got the letter from the police a month after moving into his new place. this is what blew my mind... almost like the PD was counting down the days to drop that letter in the mailbox.

- - - Updated - - -

I called the FRB and changed my address. they tell you that you still need to notify the PD though.

But they had to be paying special attention to even know his residence had changed. Generally speaking I think it's safe to say that the COP doesn't know when people move.

While we're on the topic of certified mail... has anyone tried any of the online methods? Or does everyone just go to the physical postal office?

The law specifies that the notification must be done using certified mail. It is stupid, but that is what the law says. So go to the post office and use certified mail.

But they had to be paying special attention to even know his residence had changed. Generally speaking I think it's safe to say that the COP doesn't know when people move.

If one is active in town gov't and you have a busy-body chief, they will know! My Wife and I fit those characteristics, so when I invoke my plan (buy NH first, sorta move, then make my house ready for sale after all my stuff is moved out), he'll know!

Also, if you move again, you still notify the issuing town's police chief. If you haven't renewed your LTC since the first time you moved, you still notify the first town.

So, if you move from Town A to Town B, you notify Town A, Town B, and the CHSB.

If you then move from Town B to Town C, you notify Town A, Town C, and the CHSB. You could also notify Town B as a courtesy, but it is not required.

I moved 3 times in the same year and out of precaution I sent letters to all 3 COPs of the towns I was in. Also, the certified mail is part of the "shall" if you handed it to the COP personally you would still have an issue.

The law specifies that the notification must be done using certified mail. It is stupid, but that is what the law says. So go to the post office and use certified mail.

Yes.... I know that. There are online services that post certified mail for you and you upload a PDF to them.

Yes.... I know that. There are online services that post certified mail for you and you upload a PDF to them.

If you want to trust them with your firearm rights rather than going down to the nearest post office yourself, suit yourself. My firearm rights are important enough to me that I will go through the extreme effort of walking 5 minutes from my office to the nearest post office.

I read this as the person getting served was the chief of police, did I read that correctly? If so, nice to see the rules apply across the board. What if he moved within his own town would he have to still send himself a certified letter?

I read this as the person getting served was the chief of police, did I read that correctly? If so, nice to see the rules apply across the board. What if he moved within his own town would he have to still send himself a certified letter?

Lol. The chief doesn't need to bother with trivialities like getting an LTC.

When I moved from Mass. to Florida, I went to the local PD about a week before the move and asked when and how to notify them I was moving out of state, The clerk behind the window said I had to notify them now and also had to turn in my LTC right there and now, I laughed at her and walked out, I still have my LTC although expired.

If one is active in town gov't and you have a busy-body chief, they will know! My Wife and I fit those characteristics, so when I invoke my plan (buy NH first, sorta move, then make my house ready for sale after all my stuff is moved out), he'll know!

Different context, but some years ago in my town this lead to a LTC revocation / surrendering of firearms in an attempt to silence a very vocal town meeting participant. Not sure if this was successful in furthering the Chief's agenda or not. However moot now as the party has since passed on.

Wow, you have 30 days. Here in the Constipation State, we have 48 hours. [thinking]

Sorry Space. Not even close.

In CT, you don't need a license to possess. So if your PP is revoked, you lose the right to carry a pistol. You do not lose the right to possess. i.e. Cops dont' show up at your door and take your guns.

Also, you can still do whatever you want with your long guns.

Don

p.s. MA is outside of Heller and McDonald when they do things like this. They will lose eventually.

Sorry Space. Not even close.

In CT, you don't need a license to possess. So if your PP is revoked, you lose the right to carry a pistol. You do not lose the right to possess. i.e. Cops dont' show up at your door and take your guns.

But I thought a FID was shall-issue. So even if a LTC is dropped, doesn't it drop back to a FID?

Hypothetical question. What would one do if he were to have two residencies (one in a green town, another in a red town). Ltc is issued in green town and drivers license, car insurance, taxes, and voter registration are mailed to green town. However, majority of the time is spent in living in the red town.

I actually got a call from my town A licensing officer when I sent in my second "I've moved" form to Town B. They were cautious and asked if they had been notified of my first change of address (town A to town A).

I said yes and offered to show them the signature delivery form.

They half admitted to loosing it. Didn't ask to see the mail receipt and dropped the issue.

I however will be more careful in future. Keep those records!

Hypothetical question. What would one do if he were to have two residencies (one in a green town, another in a red town). Ltc is issued in green town and drivers license, car insurance, taxes, and voter registration are mailed to green town. However, majority of the time is spent in living in the red town.

IMO, it's not where you sleep, nor where you spend the most time. It's where your cars are registered to. It's where your DL says you live. It's where you're registered to vote. It's where your bank statements are sent. Sleeping at your GF's house for the last 30 days doesn't mean you live there; you're merely a visitor.

What probably messed the OP's friend up was that he changed all his information to a new address but neglected to do so for his LTC and a DB COP.

So I just moved and sent the three letters, but this thread has me thinking maybe I should resend one of them. Because it says licensing authority, I sent my change of address notification to the licensing unit at my issuing department. Now I'm wondering if I should send one to the chief as well just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom