• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revoked license over Change of Address???

MALDENQB02

NES Member
So I am pretty aggrivated. I had someone call me today saying he needed to serve a summons. (I am a constable, part time.) no big deal, I quoted him my normal price ($60). He said he needed it done today. Again, no problem. When he tells me it needs to be served to ****** Police Department to Chief ***** I became curious and asked what it was for.

He told me his LTC got revoked because he did not update his address! AND, the guy just changed his address a month ago!!

I personally did not read up the laws but my god how ridiculous is that? At least just give a warning or something but they straight up revoked the license and the guy was forced to give up all of his guns. He did move out of this town but stayed within the state so I personally didnt think it was that big of a deal.

He is taking the chief to court. Good for him.

Has anyone have this happen to you or know anyone that this has happened to?

Seems stupid to me.

Oh and by the way I didnt charge him, I told him to take the $60 and donate it to GOAL and get some legal advice.

I will post updates when available.

Last edited:
Never heard it being revoked but i know on the GOAL page they have the forms and the instructions on how to do it...

Thank you for being kind and not charging the poor guy. It is just another example of many on how not only absurd, but oppressive and corrupt MA gun licensing is. Not even in the awful state of NJ does simple ownership of firearms require a license, nevertheless a conditional license that can be revoked at any time for a myriad of petty reasons AND require constant renewal. Disgusting.

I feel so bad for him. He had to take 3 days off of work to run around to the courts, city hall, then to me, then back to the courts. my goodness...

- - - Updated - - -

I dropped it to the dispatcher. He said he would pass it on.

For reference from the Goal website
http://goal.org/masslawpages/moving.html

Change of Address Information

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 129B states:
A cardholder shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued such card, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of such card.

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 131(l) states:
Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued such license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

A cardholder shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued such card, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of such card.

Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued such license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

Wow. there it is in writing. I am going to be doing some serious reading tonight. The last thing I need is to lose my license over something so minor.

Wow, you have 30 days. Here in the Constipation State, we have 48 hours. [thinking]

Wow. there it is in writing. I am going to be doing some serious reading tonight. The last thing I need is to lose my license over something so minor.

It totally $uck$ that he had this happen but it isn't only in the places listed above. I was in the paperwork on the application. Every license I applied for had that in the information section of getting the license.

Anyway, I hope he can get it back because I do agree this is so stupid and petty. They are trying to make us criminals every way possible...

Something stinks here, there had to be an event which precipitated his CLEO discovering the change of address or whatever. Doesn't make it right, but this doesn't happen every day.

-Mike

Something stinks here, there had to be an event which precipitated his CLEO discovering the change of address or whatever. Doesn't make it right, but this doesn't happen every day.

-Mike
I was thinking the same thing. How would they know he moved if he didn't notify them?

Besides gun owners and sex offenders, what other groups are required to notify the man when they move?

-Mike

I didnt want to bring it up, but maybe his race/religion had something to do with it... He wasnt black and he wasnt white, and he wasnt spanish, or asian... I will let you draw your own conclusions.

Unfortunately the law is pretty black and white in MA regarding this change of address stuff. Is this guy going it alone, or does he have a reputable attorney who specializes in firearms law? After the recent court debacle I'd always be afraid of somebody who doesn't know what they're doing establish a legal precedent that ****s us all further. Perhaps he should contact Comm2A?

Unfortunately the law is pretty black and white in MA regarding this change of address stuff. Is this guy going it alone, or does he have a reputable attorney who specializes in firearms law? After the recent court debacle I'd always be afraid of somebody who doesn't know what they're doing establish a legal precedent that ****s us all further. Perhaps he should contact Comm2A?

I gave him contact info to COMM2A and GOAL. I also referred him here as wel

And yes, this has happened before. Some guy did a year in jail and it all started when he became homeless and his CLEO pulled his LTC because he didn't file the forms. granted, it snowballed from there and the guy didn't do himself any favors driving around with cardboard license plates, but the butterfly's wings flapped first when he became homeless.

sorry to derail the thread, but what if you're moving out of state?
you only have to notify issuing town and the CHSB, correct?

-Mike
I used to be of this mind too until I saw emails from licensing authorities looking to suspend LTC's for no other reason than failure to change an address.

One such instance occurred when a party moved to NH, didn't notify, and moved back a few years later. While I think much of people's paranoia over some of the crazy MA licensing practices, while well founded, goes a bit overboard, I've always been a bit surprised how ****ing anal, upset, and vindictive LA's get over change of address matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides gun owners and sex offenders, what other groups are required to notify the man when they move?
Lawyers.

Although, I susepct that helps your point.

Was this guy from Worcester? They play hard ball in this town. God forbid you make a mistake. But they. . . They can get away with murder and that's OK

After you submit these three certified letters, do you still have to reapply in the new town to get a new LTC with the new address?

One such instance occurred when a party moved to NH, didn't notify, and moved back a few years later. While I think much of people's paranoia over some of the crazy MA licensing practices, while well founded, goes a bit overboard, I've always been a bit surprised how ****ing anal, upset, and vindictive LA's get over change of address matters.

Well I'm screwed. ....guess I can't move back to MA.

I've since this several times. Failure to issue the proper notifications in a timely manner is grounds for suspension or revocation of an LTC.

Unless I read the law wrong it seems like it is mandatory. It says shall not may. I mean this is crap as it is but that seems even worse.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom